New R bodies.

I cannot understand why they made such drastic physical changes to the R bodies? Through decades of evolution from customer feedback, we have almost perfect camera bodies. Everything we need is under our fingertips! The changes are minimal at best between the old and the new because it has been perfected. The operation of EOS cameras has become standard throughout most of the lines. Pick up an EOS Camera that you are not familiar with and you have a pretty much seamless transition to it with all operations. The similarity inherent in each camera line with button placement for instant changes of the critical settings is ingrained in all of us. Buy a brand new Rebel and it operates almost exactly like all Rebels from the past, The same goes for the XXD line and the XD line. Just look at the new 1DX MKIII compared to its predecessor(s). Again the differences are minimal. Why? Again, its because it has been perfected. Photographers simply can just go to work. They brought out the R System and most of the buttons are gone. Why start from scratch? Why destroy what you have worked so hard perfecting over the years because you removed a mirror? I can only hope they go back to the layouts of the EOS System we all have come to know and love. Critical settings buried in Menus are for smartphones! Then you have the size. Why do so many people want tiny cameras? Sure if you want to go light then have a camera or two designed for that purpose. I would much rather have a little larger camera that I have familiar access to a full set of controls at my fingertips than a dinky little piece of crap that I have to take my eye away from the viewfinder and start searching menus! I mean the XXD camera line is certainly small but you do not give up anything when it comes to operation or comfort. None at all. What say you?

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I agree whole heartedly. Give me a camera body that I am familiar with. I understand that small changes are what drive the evolution of their cameras, but Canon does not seem to pay much attention to the desires most of their customers. Look at how many years it took them to give us the center pinch lens cap that we all wanted.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I cannot understand why they made such drastic physical changes to the R bodies? Through decades of evolution from customer feedback, we have almost perfect camera bodies. Everything we need is under our fingertips! The changes are minimal at best between the old and the new because it has been perfected. The operation of EOS cameras has become standard throughout most of the lines. Pick up an EOS Camera that you are not familiar with and you have a pretty much seamless transition to it with all operations. The similarity inherent in each camera line with button placement for instant changes of the critical settings is ingrained in all of us. Buy a brand new Rebel and it operates almost exactly like all Rebels from the past, The same goes for the XXD line and the XD line. Just look at the new 1DX MKIII compared to its predecessor(s). Again the differences are minimal. Why? Again, its because it has been perfected. Photographers simply can just go to work. They brought out the R System and most of the buttons are gone. Why start from scratch? Why destroy what you have worked so hard perfecting over the years because you removed a mirror? I can only hope they go back to the layouts of the EOS System we all have come to know and love. Critical settings buried in Menus are for smartphones! Then you have the size. Why do so many people want tiny cameras? Sure if you want to go light then have a camera or two designed for that purpose. I would much rather have a little larger camera that I have familiar access to a full set of controls at my fingertips than a dinky little piece of crap that I have to take my eye away from the viewfinder and start searching menus! I mean the XXD camera line is certainly small but you do not give up anything when it comes to operation or comfort. None at all. What say you?
Every critical setting is right at my fingertips, not buried in menus. Yes, there was a learning curve, but well worth it for results.

You seem to have little or no experience with the R. Furthermore, all that you've written has been said over and over, including by myself--before I used the camera. Finally, Canon will most likely improve ergonomics on the next camera. They've already acknowledged, for example, the touch strip bar isn't popular.

Perhaps it would be more helpful to ask R users how to set the camera to work best for you. Every typical 5D4 setting can be accessed with one one or two presses while your eye is to the EVF. Touch and drag AF is better than the stubby joystick. Etcetera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
... a dinky little piece of crap that I have to take my eye away from the viewfinder and start searching menus!
Silly you - with an EVF you could browse the menus without ever moving your eye away from it ;)

The current R bodies are clearly not the pinnacle of Canon mirrorless technology. They provide something for the EOS market to get accustomed with mirrorless, and they provide a way for Canon to learn. If you don't try something new, your chance of improving is zero. The current R bodies are fine cameras, but I feel like they are also a bit of a playground for Canon's engineers. Why add new ergonomics? Well, if you don't try them now, before any expectations are established, when will you ever try them? Why put old sensors into new cameras? Well, the alternative where putting in no sensor or waiting until now to put in one of the newer designs. Why release software that has so much potential to improve? Because that needs feedback, time and data that you don't get if the camera is not on the market.

I would wait a few weeks and take a look at the high res R before going on a rent about the RF system. It will be the first iteration of RF that had enough time to be adapted to the lessons learned from the current bodies.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I don’t think the Touch Bar will continue, but i sure wish it would, three buttons in one and 6 different functions whether I’m in play or record. Absolutely fantastic for me at least. And the smaller size and weight was one of the reasons I sold my 1dx2 and got the R. Touch screen and incredible spread of af points was another.

And btw, you don’t have to take your eye off the evf even to access menus :p

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I agree whole heartedly. Give me a camera body that I am familiar with. I understand that small changes are what drive the evolution of their cameras, but Canon does not seem to pay much attention to the desires most of their customers. Look at how many years it took them to give us the center pinch lens cap that we all wanted.
Are you and Bradzphotos the same user with different account names?

Do you have nothing better to do than express dissatisfaction with all aspects of a particular company? Say, take some photos now and then?

Upvote 0
Silly you - with an EVF you could browse the menus without ever moving your eye away from it ;)

This is a feature that has become extremely useful for me in theater shoots. Once I program it and remember what I programmed, I can keep my eye on the viewfinder and access everything easily from there. Absolutely cannot do that on my DSLR.

I would also argue that Canon doesn't get an opportunity very often to experiment with something new, as pros want things in the same space. The R was the right time to take a chance on a few things. Most of them were good, the Touch Bar depends on how you use it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon did a lot of research into body size, and is convinced that the largest market is for smaller bodies. They made no secret of it, numerous interviews had repeatedly said as much. I like a larger body, but after using my R since it came out, I find it gets more use than my 5D MK IV because its smaller and easier to pack with me. I'm seriously considering selling the 5D MK IV and going all mirrorless even though I have some gripes with the EVF, overall I have noticed it gets used a lot more, and thats the bottom line.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Not too often that I agree with all of the responses. The R wasn't even on my radar as I am heavily invested in EF glass. The price drop at the end of the year compelled me (I am weak) to pick up an R with the 24-105 refurbished + 35 for an extremely good price. It is certainly true that my fingers do land in all the right places gripping my 5DIV. It is also true that after using the R, my 5D feels like a brick (no offence to all the 1 series users). I am quickly growing very fond of the smaller size/weight, articulating touch screen, improved AF point spread/selection, etc. and am carrying the 5D less and less. I'm quite sure that in the future, Canon will come out with different sized R bodies, so you can just wait until that time before jumping in...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Canon did a lot of research into body size, and is convinced that the largest market is for smaller bodies. They made no secret of it, numerous interviews had repeatedly said as much. I like a larger body, but after using my R since it came out, I find it gets more use than my 5D MK IV because its smaller and easier to pack with me. I'm seriously considering selling the 5D MK IV and going all mirrorless even though I have some gripes with the EVF, overall I have noticed it gets used a lot more, and thats the bottom line.
Selling my 5DIV seems almost like abandoning a beloved dog...

Upvote 0
When I got my R a few months ago, I too objected to some of the buttons etc., and I watched a video with Rudi Winston and he said to leave the controls as they are and try to get used to the layout.
So I did, and I have to say that he was right.
I now prefer the way the R works compared to my 5d3.
In fact, I rarely pick up my 5d3 or my M5 anymore. The R has basically replaced both of them, even for pro work.

Upvote 0

In my honest opinion, I have no idea how you can compare where the 1DX mark iii is presently compared to the brand new EOS R. The 1DXiii has had years of engineering, and feedback from faithful users to thank for its evolution (as you have your self stated. How you can even begin to compare the relative newcomer to the game on the same level of the flagship is ridiculous.

Obviously Canon is going to listen to its users with regards to ergonomics and design, and they heard the complaints loud and clear and made changes accordingly. The EOS R is a larger body than the Sony, and that's what the majority of Canon users said they wanted, but not the large, honking footprint of a DSLR. If that's what you personally want, go out and buy a DSLR....lol.

Upvote 0
In my honest opinion, I have no idea how you can compare where the 1DX mark iii is presently compared to the brand new EOS R. The 1DXiii has had years of engineering, and feedback from faithful users to thank for its evolution (as you have your self stated. How you can even begin to compare the relative newcomer to the game on the same level of the flagship is ridiculous.

Obviously Canon is going to listen to its users with regards to ergonomics and design, and they heard the complaints loud and clear and made changes accordingly. The EOS R is a larger body than the Sony, and that's what the majority of Canon users said they wanted, but not the large, honking footprint of a DSLR. If that's what you personally want, go out and buy a DSLR....lol.
I am not comparing the EOS R to the 1DX MKIII just the fact that is so radically diffferent to anything in their DSLR line. Each line of cameras such as the Rebels little changes between old and new. The same can be said for crop sensor XXD line like the 80D or the XD line such as the 5D series. These two lines of cameras a very similar to each other as well. The EOS-1s have there own way of operation but throughout that line, little changes in between models. The R cameras have removed quite a few buttons and dials that for me, really hinders the fast and familiar operation that we all have grown accustom to. I am not a fan of removing these controls for the sake of size.

Upvote 0
I am not comparing the EOS R to the 1DX MKIII just the fact that is so radically diffferent to anything in their DSLR line. Each line of cameras such as the Rebels little changes between old and new. The same can be said for crop sensor XXD line like the 80D or the XD line such as the 5D series. These two lines of cameras a very similar to each other as well. The EOS-1s have there own way of operation but throughout that line, little changes in between models. The R cameras have removed quite a few buttons and dials that for me, really hinders the fast and familiar operation that we all have grown accustom to. I am not a fan of removing these controls for the sake of size.

Not everyone will be happy with the re-design of products. If people don't like the interior of an automobile's layout, they either don't buy the car, or they buy it and adapt to the changes. I won't argue whether or not your complaints are valid or warranted, because if everyone could lodge a complaint about every little thing that they don't like, it would be endless, and we'd never get anything new.

Personally speaking, I am a huge fan of the EOS R's size and design, save for that damn bar. Mirrorless cameras don't need to be the same size as DSLRs and therfore it's either something you get used to, or stick with the mirrored variant.

Upvote 0
Personally speaking, I am a huge fan of the EOS R's size and design, save for that damn bar. Mirrorless cameras don't need to be the same size as DSLRs and therfore it's either something you get used to, or stick with the mirrored variant.

I was really happy with the size of the R. Definitely smaller, but not so small that it is awkward to use with the big R glass they put out. To me, they hit the size mark right on. But, then again, I like the size of the 1DXii also.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I was not a fan of the smaller size of the R, but I bought one and find it gets more use than my 5D MK IV. It is possible to use my 5D MK IV like a mirrorless in live view, the operation is very similar, except no evf or optical vf.

It does take a while for the new design to grow on you, I keep the bar turned off.

Upvote 0