New rumor of Supertelephoto DO’s and the R1 [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
400 f8 non-L with much worse borders? I'm out!
That's your choice. But, there are are lots of happy people with it. We are fortunate to have two choices the el cheapo RF 100-400mm which is surprisingly good and the superb L series RF 100-500mm, and I am delighted with both in my armoury.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
I really miss the old "400 mm f5.6 L" days where we could have a GREAT tele Canon lens around $1200. Never was replaced!

Still got mine sitting in the drawer next to me here. I have the 600 F4L iii now for wildlife, but the 5.6 has great sentimental value. I'll probably never get rid of it. May have to try it on the R5 actually and do some close-up nature shots in my backyard.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
Still got mine sitting in the drawer next to me here. I have the 600 F4L iii now for wildlife, but the 5.6 has great sentimental value. I'll probably never get rid of it. May have to try it on the R5 actually and do some close-up nature shots in my backyard.
I picked one up recently, and Iove it on my R6. Ibis helps a lot. Gives new life to this lens.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I picked one up recently, and Iove it on my R6. Ibis helps a lot. Gives new life to this lens.
It's very interesting to know by how much IBIS stabilises telephotos. If you have time, could you do a series of shots at different shutter speeds with and without IBIS and give a rough idea of how many stops it gives. He avoids saying in that video

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
When Canon had the 1D and 1Ds both of them were 1 series, not a flagship - and most certainly came out quickly and without such care. Also, Canon released 1 series of cameras when they basically were able to - sans the 1D that were usually in Olympic years. Historically it's only been the "sports or performance" that had any sort of timetable.

A Canon R1 isn't replacing anything directly, neither the R3 nor the 1DX Mark III. The closest historically to what we have now is when there was a 1DS and 1D line.

Also, Canon in the past has never had two strong competitors each with their "flagship" Z 9 and A1 and Canon without one at all, outside of the 1DX Mark III that doesn't really count in this discussion.

IMO, there's about the same chance in hades freezing over it's going to be less than 45MP. not with the A1 and Z9 both shooting 8K.
85MP seems to be the objective at 16 to 20fps in RAW to 120fps at 15MP Jpeg.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Totally agree. That was a great L-series lens, affordable, and compact. I hate the I have the 800 f11 and I find it unusable on 90% of the time here.

I also can't stand the new bloated RF 100mm macro with SA adjustment. Compared to the EF version it is more expensive, larger, I think heavier too, and at closest focusing distance it has the front element closer to the subject, which is not desirable.

It's a shame that Canon doesn't have as much competition as it used to have, as this is reflected in the products and prices. Oh, the 'prices".
I find the new 100-500 f 7.1. to be excellent. Far better than my expectations. My RF 70-200 f/2.8 IS L gets worringly little use for the same reason. Of course some may need more light, but the results cannot be faulted.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
After having used the R3 for a few months, I can see a few things I expect will be in the R1.

Dual CFExpress (no brainer)
No mechanical shutter
Eye Control Autofocus 2.0 (lots of room to improve here)
45-50 mp.
Next Generation CRaw (As it stands, the differences between CRaw and Raw are pretty much indistinguishable, so I expect the next generation to offer smaller files sizes with no loss of quality.)
Larger buffer and faster throughput.
Quad pixel or similar autofocus that works more like a DSLR.
New battery, backwards compatible with current battery.
Typical autofocus improvements (two improvements they really need: 1) better recognition of non-white subjects; 2) select front facing subject, even if back facing subject is closer -- R3 tends to pick the nearest subject to focus on, even if it is the back of someone's head, rather than a face)
Related to the above -- selecting the eye rather than head on more distant subjects.

I expect the improvements to be incremental over the R3 and 1Dx III, nothing revolutionary as this is the 1 series after all.
How about 16 bit files?

Upvote 0
Given the two new lenses' prices, they should be easier to come by than the 400 and 600.
Canon's past history the opposite is usually true. The expensive items tend to be delayed.
It is possible that there will not be enough interest so more copies will be in stock.
The estimated ship date is 5/19/22 according to Canon's website.
I doubt there will be a shipping delay, Canon has been shipping the big whites via air.
A few people "might" get a copy.
The RF 400 and RF 600 are both on back order still.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Much slower, smaller lenses are possible due to AF advantages of mirrorless.
I think you may have mixed up a few features of the new Canon mirrorless cameras here. Lens size and AF are two separate matters. Hope I can clarify the issue.

The RF mount sits closer to the sensor than the EF mount, and that only really helps with the design of new wide angle lenses.

RF lenses generally aren't really smaller than equivalent EF lenses, the ones that do achieve compact size have telescoping bodies that must be extended before use (RF 600 & 800 f/11) which may lead to durability issues, or now telescope in and out when zooming (Canon RF 70-200 f2.8 IS vs Canon EF 70-200 2.8 IS III), which may compromise environmental sealing. Some also extend when focussing, making them more prone to damage.

The RF lenses are slower because of better sensors on the R5 and R6, not because of mirrorless technology, an advantage not shared by the EOS R and RP bodies which use sensors based on the older 5DIV and 6DII sensors. Yes, the newer sensors can produce better images (less noise) at higher ISOs, I think it's around a two stop advantage., but what have we gained? All Canon has done is some clever marketing to lower customer expectations, make slower lenses that would have been previously less usable, relying on the better sensor to compensate for the inferior optics. No different to a better lens on an inferior sensor, nothing is gained for the customer, but Canon often sells these lenses at the same price or more than the optically better lens. A win for Canon, making more money, selling you less!

Many RF lenses are lighter, and that's because Canon has been using engineering plastics (which may be cheaper to produce and less durable) in place of metal, using PMo (plastic molded) lens elements which are cheaper and lighter in some lenses, such as the RF 100-400 and RF 16mm, or by underbuilding lenses which produce optically unusable images and relying on software to fix the issue afterwards. In a DSLR, when you look through the OVF, you are looking through the lens, and so the lens optics have to produce a fairly reasonable image without crazy distortion, otherwise nobody would buy them. Since MILCs are really just mini video cameras running all the time, sending a video feed to a mini-screen, the EVF, and taking a photo using mechanical or electronic shutter when the button is pressed, it's possible to hide shocking optics by processing the digital signal and modifying it to correct for bad distortion before it reaches the EVF, it's like a 'screw it, lets take a bad photo and fix it in post" type of approach. This way, Canon can underdesign a lens, compromising image quality for size, which is cheaper for them, but they sell the lens at the same price, or more often at a greater price, which is what we've seen with lenses such as the RF 14-35mm. Once again, a win for Canon, making more money, selling you less! Sure, other brands do this too, but the 'bandwagon fallacy', they're doing it so that makes it right to do it too, isn't actually a sound logical argument.

Manufacturers are competeing with each other in a shrinking market and looking for ways to give consumers a few more features to compel them to upgrade while still making a sufficient profit. Some of the lenses they produce on the new RF platform my hit the right balance of image quality, value for money, innovation (new features) and profitability, while others wont, and time will tell which falls into each respective category. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0