New to Canon - please help me decide on lenses

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Mr_Canuck said:
danski0224 said:
I don't think you can beat the Canon 100L macro. It's a great macro lens and many have said it is also a great portrait lens, so 2 birds with 1 stone, and there have been some deals at Amazon recently (at least for USA shoppers).

You mention landscape work, and one typically assumes wide angle. A 24-70 could fit the bill, or the 24-105.

Not too many "cheap" options for wider, especially if you want AF. The Tokina 16-28 comes to mind.

The Canon Price Watch alerts work if you have time.

I can get the 100L right now for $830 after rebate in Canada which is pretty good. I was looking at the Tamron but now not so much with the Canon price being what it is.

I'm just not super interested in a 24-70/105. :p As I said, I have an RX100 in this range and it covers my walk-around, get whatever shots. I find I'm happier with a prime at around normal range or either side of it. I just take way better pictures that way and I do appreciate the wider apertures.

I'm not getting much feedback on lenses wider than 24.... people have said why don't you just shoot at 24, but fact is I want to shoot wider than that.... jury still out on UWA. I find 14mm (ie. Samyang/Rokinon) just too out there for me. Maybe there's a shortage of good lenses wider than 24 (for less than $2000)? Will nobody speak up for the 17-40? ;) I want to shoot things at around 20mm.
Well it 20mm interests you most maybe a manual focus Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 will satisfy you. It is very good at the edges too. It is expensive though (consider it at 16-35 2.8 II price range)

Upvote 0
Well, I've made my decisions. I have ordered a 6D and a 40/2.8 STM (had to try it, for $129) which are waiting across the border for me to pick up next week. I picked up a nice used 70-200/f4 IS already but it's fairly useless so far without a body.

And I just ordered a Voigtlander Skopar 20/3.5 as my final lens of the kit! Can't wait to give this one a try.

I will wait till the new year to see about possibly something fast in the 50/85 range if it materializes but not in any hurry. Or maybe a ~100 macro, but not both.

In reviewing all the shots I've taking in recent years, how I go about it, what I respond to in lenses, I feel that the Voigtlander holds great potential. I like to have a light/compact kit. The 20/40 combo certainly provides that. I really like the 20mm view on full-frame. I also find that I like the prime lens shooting experience. And I've no qualms about manual focussing at this distance. It appears from most accounts to be at least as good and sometimes better than many equivalent focal length zooms and primes, save for the zeiss which is over three times the price, weight and size. I really liked my Pentax 15/f4 (22.5mm equiv) but always wanted it that extra bit wider. The final bit is that both the 20 and 40 share a 52mm filter size. I'm getting step up rings for my Cokin holder as well as for the 67mm shared by the 70-200. So just one c-pol required.

My Sony RX100 remains my walk around, get whatever kind of shot camera in the 28-100 range. The SLR is for more intentional, creative shooting.

One body, three lenses. Going to give it a good try for as long as I can!

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Mr_Canuck said:
Well, I've made my decisions. I have ordered a 6D and a 40/2.8 STM (had to try it, for $129) which are waiting across the border for me to pick up next week. I picked up a nice used 70-200/f4 IS already but it's fairly useless so far without a body.

Good choice. I think you'll like the shorty forty. It was by far the best lens you could find in its price class even at $199. Now, it's just a steal. I ditch my battery grip and use that lens when I want my giant DSLR to seem unobtrusive, and most of the time, I feel like I could get away with that lens, a 16mm prime, and my 70-300L if I had to limit my lenses for some reason.

Upvote 0