New type of teleconverter coming from Canon alongside a Supertelephoto zoom

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes, but my wife is taking the 100-500. I'll have to make do with a 600mm. She might give me a lend. I'm off to the Saltee Islands - a nice place to see them. There is a big Gannett colony too. Skomer I believe is hard to get to - popular spot.
Too popular, just managed to get two places on the boat for mid-July - fully booked on every other day. Farne is closed because of bird flu. It's great having a wife who also does bird photos so worth putting up with her having the 100-500.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I realized I didn’t have any questions just wondering ranting!! I guess my question is does the local community think this will be an excellent camera set up for birding or too soon to tell? Thanks again!
I'm afraid I am going to agree with those who think this is not going to make much difference - and if the lens is heavy, will not really be for birding, especially birds in flight. By all means, rent the lens, or buy it from a place that will give 30 days to make up your mind and accepts returns (Just be careful to keep the lens in as-new condition...) if you decide to give it a try. While folks love the idea of TCs, they are often not quite what one hopes for if you shoot hand held. Shooting hand held, the results with TCs is often little better than just cropping more, at least in my experience. Depends on many factors, of course, mostly the sharpness of the lens itself and the quality of the TC, and hand held technique. Plus the atmospheric conditions which often negate the benefit of TCs due to temperature distortion, and haze and humidity. Of course, and this is important, I can only speak from my experience and your experience may be very different.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes, but my wife is taking the 100-500. I'll have to make do with a 600mm. She might give me a lend. I'm off to the Saltee Islands - a nice place to see them. There is a big Gannett colony too. Skomer I believe is hard to get to - popular spot.
I gradually got my wife hooked on photography. I knew I was done for when she began using my 100-400 I all the time. After the II came out I eventually gave up and bought a second one.

By the time I bought the R5 I knew I was done for and just ended up buying two bodies and two 100-500 lenses.

I just ordered two R7s. I’m just resigned to buying two of everything now.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I gradually got my wife hooked on photography. I knew I was done for when she began using my 100-400 I all the time. After the II came out I eventually gave up and bought a second one.

By the time I bought the R5 I knew I was done for and just ended up buying two bodies and two 100-500 lenses.

Fortunately, my wife finds the 100-500 too heavy but we do have two 100-400s. The 100-400 pairs well with the R7.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

And I got mine hooked on cellphone-photography, thus saving lots of money. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
It would be great if they made an extender that’s also an EF /RF adapter. 1/1.4/2 will be a great adapter Just it’s impact on image quality is the concern.
I've been saying a VERY similar thing.

1x would have no glass, and 1.4x, 2.0x would just swing an extra couple elements into place. Or, it extends a bit more in non-1x mode.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And I got mine hooked on cellphone-photography, thus saving lots of money. ;)
The advantage of using the same systems is that when we travel we have back-up bodies and lenses, as well as sharing batteries! And, for some crucial shots. I missed yesterday two kingfishers mating, which took about a second, and she got them!

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I suppose the best thing would be a comparison (with the same lens) of a distant image with the same eye focus from the R5 and R7 alone, and another such comparison using a 2xTC vs Topaz 2x uprez so that we could compare them independently?
I had the chance yesterday with a kingfisher (the small Eurasian one) posing for me 30-40m away to test the RF 100-500mm on the R5 at 500mm and 1000mmm using the 2xTC. Again, very disappointing results. So, this morning I did a series of comparisons using charts at 20m distance, hand held. It seems the problem is one of AF consistency. Occasionally, the 2x performed beautifully, with the 1.4x improvement I have found earlier. Most of the time not. The 800 f/11 was as good as previously found.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Three people (I’m including myself in the account) wanting something that makes no sense from a marketing standpoint does not make it any more likely to happen
Yes unlikely but it’s good to dream. Putting on extenders is a pain. Interesting niche product for a third party manufacturer

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The advantage of using the same systems is that when we travel we have back-up bodies and lenses, as well as sharing batteries! And, for some crucial shots. I missed yesterday two kingfishers mating, which took about a second, and she got them!
Lucky you! My wife wouldn't even carry an Instamatic.
In film days, she had a Nikon F301. But when digital came, so came her smartphone.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes unlikely but it’s good to dream. Putting on extenders is a pain. Interesting niche product for a third party manufacturer
In the unlikely event that a 3rd party made one, I doubt the optics would be sufficiently good that I'd consider using one with a Canon supertele lens. Dreams are nice.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It’ll be interesting if this has a zoom from 1/1 to 2.0, even cooler if it also has a filter slot for the new Big White zooms
No mention of whether or not the 200-500 will have a drop-in filter slot.
If neither the 100-300 nor 200-500 have one then the Extender really should.

The Drop-in Filter Adapter is a big reason that I prefer EF lenses.
If this worked on every lens then this would negate that.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It’ll be interesting if this has a zoom from 1/1 to 2.0, even cooler if it also has a filter slot for the new Big White zooms
Far more likely it has neither, but is a 1.4x/2x switchable TC as described in the actual patent for a teleconverter.

Instead, one website blatantly misinterpreted a separate patent for a mount adapter based on a single figure instead of actually reading the patent, and now some people are expecting this magical device that zooms, has ND filters (or now a filter slot), and adds extra IS. I wonder what would have happened if, instead of hyping the figure showing a 1.0-1.5-2.0 magnification slider (that the patent states is to alter an image circle projection to accommodate sensors of different sizes), that one person had chosen to hype the figure showing the little display on the side of the adapter. Maybe we’d be speculating it would have cellular connectivity to stream movies.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
There was this one woman... but I was Canon, she was Nikon. There was no point in even asking her out...

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Far more likely it has neither, but is a 1.4x/2x switchable TC as described in the actual patent for a teleconverter.

Instead, one website blatantly misinterpreted a separate patent for a mount adapter based on a single figure instead of actually reading the patent, and now some people are expecting this magical device that zooms, has ND filters (or now a filter slot), and adds extra IS. I wonder what would have happened if, instead of hyping the figure showing a 1.0-1.5-2.0 magnification slider (that the patent states is to alter an image circle projection to accommodate sensors of different sizes), that one person had chosen to hype the figure showing the little display on the side of the adapter. Maybe we’d be speculating it would have cellular connectivity to stream movies.
Having switchable 1.4x/2x TC is still advantageous. Of course, the real questions I have are: 1) What is the size? and 2) What is the mass? Is the switchable TC heavier than the separate 1.4x and 2x TC combined? The current TCs are nice because they are relatively small and easy to pack around other gear.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Having switchable 1.4x/2x TC is still advantageous. Of course, the real questions I have are: 1) What is the size? and 2) What is the mass? Is the switchable TC heavier than the separate 1.4x and 2x TC combined? The current TCs are nice because they are relatively small and easy to pack around other gear.
From the patent, it looks pretty bulky.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 2.51.37 PM.png

Upvote 0