Nikon finally Admits D600 Dust Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
When a company like Nikon frequently screws up on their brand new gear people are going to complain about the sub-standard quality control of Nikon ... remember the Nikon EN-EL15 issue, the SB 900, and now the D600 sensor. In the case of Sigma & Tamron they have always been willing to calibrate their lenses with your DSLR without charging for it i.e. they acknowledged the problem, unlike Nikon when the SB 900 had problems all they did was produce SB 910 and make more money from their goof-up. Nikon cannot expect their customers to go clean the sensor of a brand new camera (costing $2000) which should have been free from dust and oil in the first place.

Ah-hem... the light leak in the 5D3? The problems with the speedlite AF assist beam? Blinking red AF point?

And the 5D3 is much, much more expensive than the D600. Nikon is not better and not worse than other manufacturers. It's only normal that new products have some unexpected flaw but early adopters don't hear from that ear.

Honestly, in my opinion Nikon's outing at this point means they solved it. I don't see any other reason otherwise to admit something they've been denying so far.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Albi86 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
When a company like Nikon frequently screws up on their brand new gear people are going to complain about the sub-standard quality control of Nikon ... remember the Nikon EN-EL15 issue, the SB 900, and now the D600 sensor. In the case of Sigma & Tamron they have always been willing to calibrate their lenses with your DSLR without charging for it i.e. they acknowledged the problem, unlike Nikon when the SB 900 had problems all they did was produce SB 910 and make more money from their goof-up. Nikon cannot expect their customers to go clean the sensor of a brand new camera (costing $2000) which should have been free from dust and oil in the first place.

Ah-hem... the light leak in the 5D3? The problems with the speedlite AF assist beam? Blinking red AF point?
Maybe you are not aware, Canon did admit all of the above issues you've raised and fixed one of them and assured customers that it is currently working on the speedlite AF assist beam ... unlike Nikon which made its customers pay for SB910 when they goofed up on SB900, Canon is not charging its customers for those issues ... besides a light leak is nowhere near as bad as a dirty/oil sensor.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
mbpics said:
Rienzphotoz said:
a light leak is nowhere near as bad as a dirty/oil sensor.

I was unaware you could fix a light leak with a $5 swab without having to open up your camera's case.

Give it up, it's really not a big deal :)

5D3 dynamic range, now THAT'S a big deal ;D ;D ;D
The point is Canon acknowledged and fixed the issue rightaway FOC ... Nikon is not even admitting that it is a widespread problem
Tell all the customers who spent $2000 on a dirty oily sensor that it is not a big deal and see what they'll tell you.
Accepted that 5D3 dynamic range is not on par with Nikon D800 ... but Canon never misguided anyone or advertised anywhere by claiming that their Dynamic range is better than the Nikon ... you should check your facts.

Upvote 0
The Canon 1Ds3 had oil issues when they were new. They over oiled the mirror arms and high speed shooting (if you could call it that) would fling lots of oil all over the sensor. I had to send mine in to be cleans since it was waaaaay too much to attempt to clean up plus they had to remove some of the oil from the mirror arms. These things happen to all manufacturers.

Now the focusing problem of the 1Ds3 was a different issue that was worthy of complaining about. :-\

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Studio1930 said:
The Canon 1Ds3 had oil issues when they were new. They over oiled the mirror arms and high speed shooting (if you could call it that) would fling lots of oil all over the sensor. I had to send mine in to be cleans since it was waaaaay too much to attempt to clean up plus they had to remove some of the oil from the mirror arms. These things happen to all manufacturers.

Now the focusing problem of the 1Ds3 was a different issue that was worthy of complaining about. :-\
Absolutely ... when there is an issue with gear that costs thousands of dollars the customer has every right to compalin (doesn't matter if it is Canon or Nikon) ... my only problem is when people say that is "not a big deal" ... of course it is a big deal, it is our hard earned money and if there is a large scale problem people are bound to raise that issue, but that certainly does not mean we are "blowing it out of proportion".

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.