Octopus and More!

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
I really have to kick myself for not having watched this before. This is breathtaking and awesome, Dustin!
Loved the Blue-ringed octopus, and amazed you dared to swim so near it. I was aware of how poisonous they are, but had no clue that they were so small.

What kind of lighting do you have to bring with you on a session like this? If I remember correctly more or less all light disappears when you get under 10 m (~30 feet), and to make these creatures display all their beautiful colours I would imagine it takes a lot of light.

Upvote 0
DominoDude said:
I really have to kick myself for not having watched this before. This is breathtaking and awesome, Dustin!
Loved the Blue-ringed octopus, and amazed you dared to swim so near it. I was aware of how poisonous they are, but had no clue that they were so small.

What kind of lighting do you have to bring with you on a session like this? If I remember correctly more or less all light disappears when you get under 10 m (~30 feet), and to make these creatures display all their beautiful colours I would imagine it takes a lot of light.

Thanks so much for watching it. The blue ring was about an inch from my lens...with wet diopter on in some shots. They are small indeed!

As for lighting, I actually planned the trip during the rainy season on purpose, as I like macro shooting with as little natural light as possible. So having said that, I typically use 2 light and motion lights that are about 2000 lumen. The darker the ambient light the easier it is to light the subject and get the black background. The less ambient light, the less light I need from my lights. If it's sunny, I have to try to over power the sun to get rid of ripples, or the ugly blue look you often see.
Dustin

Upvote 0