Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href=""></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Sony A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

</strong>I realize these aren’t made by Canon, but I believe this is a significant enough development in photography equipment to be worthy of a mention here.</p>
<p>For the last few years, I have heard continuously from readers how much they desired a full frame mirrorless camera kit that didn’t cost what a small car does (sorry Leica). Many times I’ve been asked if Canon is developing such a camera, and judging by Canon’s lacklustre commitment to the EOS M line, it appears that definitely is not coming to fruition anytime soon.</p>
<p>Sony has been a leader in moving the mirrorless segment forward, and these two new full frame cameras will only bolster their position in a growing (albiet slowly) market. These cameras are capable of taking lenses from Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and yes, even Canon. You can get one and grow into the system even if you don’t currently have any Sony lenses by using great adaptors. Sony plans to have 15 FE mount lenses in the lineup by 2015. That is the type of commitment consumers want in a system.</p>
<p>The megapixel debate? As I’ve said previously, I used to not care about megapixel count until I used the Nikon D800, the files are remarkable and I’m more than happy to have the extra pixels. Canon is not only behind Nikon in this regard, they’re now getting trumped by the 36.4mp A7R.</p>
<p>I have preordered the A7R and I think a lot of Canon folks will be following suit.</p>
<p>Your move Canon…..</p>
<p><strong>Preorder</strong></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Sony A7R Body $2298 <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008112-REG/sony_ilce7r_b_a7r_mirrorless_digital_camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRDUZUK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00FRDUZUK&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></li>
<li><strong>Sony A7 Body $1698 <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1008114-REG/sony_ilce7_b_a7_mirrorless_digital_camera.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">B&H Photo</a> | <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRDUZXM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00FRDUZXM&linkCode=as2&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">Amazon</a></strong></li>
<li><strong><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&docId=1001426001&linkCode=ur2&pf_rd_i=sony%20a7&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=1633060542&pf_rd_r=001PVA50N4NSNJXGB9SE&pf_rd_s=auto-sparkle&pf_rd_t=301&tag=canorumo-20" target="_blank">View all Sony FE Lenses & Accessories at Amazon</a></strong></li>
</ul>
<p>The Sony Press Release after the break….</p>
<p><!--more--></p>
<p>SAN DIEGO, Oct. 15, 2013 – Sony’s new A7 and A7R digital cameras are the world’s smallest full-frame interchangeable lens models 2. Highly anticipated by professional photographers and imaging enthusiasts alike, the two new cameras offer an unmatched combination of creativity, customizability and portability.</p>
<p>The A7R model features a 36.4 effective megapixel 35mm Exmor® CMOS sensor – the highest resolution sensor in the history of Sony’s A line – with no optical low pass filter for added resolving power and increased image detail. The A7 model boasts an impressive 24.3 effective megapixel 35mm Exmor® CMOS sensor and an innovative fast Hybrid AF system.</p>
<p>Each camera is equipped with advanced imaging features including a powerful new BIONZ® X processor; fast AF capabilities; a clear, bright XGA OLED Tru-finder, full HD 60p video recording, Wi-Fi® and NFC connection, dust-and moisture- resistance and more.</p>
<p>“With these new A7 camera systems, Sony has completely redefined the look and feel of a professional-grade digital camera,” said Mike Kahn, director of the interchangeable lens camera business at Sony Electronics. “The A7 and A7R cameras are significantly smaller, lighter and more portable than any other full-frame interchange lens camera yet deliver image quality, power and performance that professionals and enthusiasts crave.”</p>
<p>Both cameras feature full customization and control to meet the needs of the most demanding photographers. There are 9 different customizable buttons and 46 assignable functions that can be adjusted based on shooting preferences, including fully customizable front and back dials, a rear control wheel and an exposure compensation dial 3. Users can preview all changes to photographic settings in real-time on the high-contrast, 2.4 million dot XGA OLED Tru-Finder or the high-resolution tiltable 3” LCD screen.</p>
<p>The new cameras share a powerful new BIONZ X processor that accurately reproduces details in textures in real-time via extra high-speed processing capabilities, and allows for exceptional low noise performance in all types of lighting conditions. Additionally, the powerful processor combined with the advanced, high resolution sensors allow both cameras to shoot pro-quality Full HD video (AVCHD progressive, 1920x1080p @ 60p) with richly detailed colors and ultra-low noise.</p>
<p>Clear Image Zoom has been enhanced for video recording as well, allowing for powerful close-up shots without sacrificing pixel count. Other pro-style movie features include an audio recording level control and display plus a “live” HDMI® output for passing through video to an external monitor or recording device.</p>
<p>The new cameras both have on-board Wi-Fi and NFC capabilities for instant image sharing and transfer to compatible smartphones and tablets. The A7R and A7 models can access Sony’s platform of PlayMemories™ Camera Apps, allowing users to add new effects, filters, utilities and more. This platform includes new ‘Multiple Exposure’ app, which automatically combines sequential exposures into one creative shot, and ‘Smart Remote Control’ 4, which allows for direct control of exposure and shutter speed from a connected smartphone and is particularly useful for self-portraits or group shots 5. Find out more at www.playmemoriescameraapps.com .</p>
<p>The new A7 and A7R cameras each have a tough, magnesium alloy build and are dust and moisture resistant for standing up to some of the toughest weather conditions.</p>
<p><strong>A7R Camera</strong></p>
<p>Designed for professional photographers and highly advanced enthusiasts, the new A7R model is the world’s smallest and lightest full-frame interchangeable lens camera2.</p>
<p>It has an impressive 36.4 effective megapixel full frame sensor and no optical low pass filter, ensuring that the extraordinary resolving power is fully realized and resulting in an unprecedented level of detail and clarity in images.</p>
<p>The camera features a new Fast Intelligent AF technology that delivers blazingly quick, accurate autofocus. Additionally, there are a total of three selectable sizes for the Flexible Spot AF frame, minimizing the risk of accidentally focusing on the wrong target.</p>
<p><strong>A7 Camera</strong></p>
<p>Offering an exciting entry into the world of full-frame photography, the A7 camera features an advanced 24.3 effective megapixel full-frame Exmor CMOS sensor paired with the powerful new BIONZ X processor.</p>
<p>The exciting new camera has an innovative Fast Hybrid AF system that combines phase- and contrast-detect AF methods to ensure speedy, accurate autofocus. It can also shoot at up to 5 fps continuously with non-stop AF tracking, allowing it to keep pace with fast-moving athletes, wildlife or energetic children.</p>
<p><strong>New Sony A Lenses and Accessories</strong></p>
<p>There are a total of 5 new full-frame E-mount lenses designed to take full advantage of the powerful imaging capabilities of the A7R and A7 cameras, including mid-range zoom lenses from Sony and Carl Zeiss, two bright Zeiss Sonnar T*™ prime lenses and a premium-quality G Lens™ telephoto zoom. Sony’s growing E-mount interchangeable lens lineup now consists of 21 different lenses including the new full-frame models.</p>
<p>In addition to the new lenses, there are also two new-generation mount adaptors that give photographers the ability to utilize full-frame Sony A-mount optics on the A7 and A7R cameras. The LA-EA3 adapter simply adds compatibility for existing A-mount lenses the new cameras, while the LA-EA4 model adds the ultra-fast focusing and shooting capabilities of Sony’s innovative Translucent Mirror Technology.</p>
<p>There is also a new vertical grip (VG-C1EM) that offers greater comfort during vertical shooting and can accommodate two separate NP-FW50 batteries for extended battery life and shooting time. A new BC-TRW compact external battery charger that quickly charges batteries and is great for travel, and FA-CS1M off camera shoe allows the use of external flashes (HVL-43M, 20M) in off-camera wired applications. Additionally, the new LCS-ELCA premium soft leather carry case protects the A7 and A7R cameras from scuffs and marks while being carried.</p>
<p><strong>Pricing and Availability</strong></p>
<p>The Sony A7R and A7 full-frame interchangeable lens cameras will be available for purchase this December</p>
<p>The A7R camera will be offered as a body-only for about $2300.</p>
<p>The Sony A7 compact system camera will be offered with a 28-70mm F3.5 – F5.6 full-frame lens (model SEL2870) for about $2000. It will also be offered as a body-only for about $1700.</p>
<p>The versatile new LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 mount adapters will be available in December for about $200 and $350, respectively.</p>
<p>The new VG-C1EM vertical grip and LCS-ELCA premium case will also be available in December for about $300 and $ 140, respectively.</p>
<p>The new camera and all compatible accessories will be available at Sony retail stores (www.store.sony.com) and other authorized dealers nationwide.</p>
<p>Please visit www.blog.sony.com for a full video preview of the new Sony A7R and A7 full-frame cameras and follow #SonyAlpha on twitter for the latest A camera news.</p>

Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

I'm glad they released this. It increases competition and might get Canon to release some new models they've probably been sitting on. Of course, I have no intention of every buying a Sony, but I like that they are good, which forces Canon to be good. I'm sure when Canon finally releases their large MP camera, I won't be able to afford it anyway, so it doesn't really concern me, unless it trickles down to the lower end models. Good for Sony.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013

all these new cameras are great. However, the breaking point will only arrive if and when Sony can come up with lenses as good as the 24-70 II, 70-200 II, etc.

For me there is no point buying a Ferrari chassis and pairing it with a Mazda engine.

As a second / travel kit probably it is great but the lens collection is too small to be a primary kit. I might consider it once the option for the lenses grow in time.

Cheers ... J.R.

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2010

I could potentially buy it with a metabones adapter just to use it with my Canon lenses for landscape photography, and then sell the body when/if Canon comes up with something at the same level of performance. The big investment is in lenses.

I think Canon big megapixel is still quite far away, and I doubt that the first camera will be as good in the dynamic range department as Sony.

Canon have some really great lenses though just waiting to be used with a great sensor. With Canon's own bodies it's like using a Ferrari engine (lens) on a Mazda chassis (camera)...

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK

I'm very very tempted. The A7 is a similar price to the 6D & D600, it may become cheaper once the launch hype dies down. The limited choice of FF lenses makes me hold back, but that will change. A-mount lenses would not have the weight and size advantage of a mirrorless lens. If Sony publish a lens roadmap (as Fuji do), then it will give confidence in the platform.

In addition to the Sony & Sony Zeiss AF lenses, there is an easy opportunity for Voigtlander and Zeiss to produce E-mount versions of their M-mount lenses. The flange spacing must be similar, it's a simple hardware difference. If all that falls into place, and I'm satisfied with the EVF when I try it, then I will have a lot of eBaying to do.

I'm not selling my 6D and EF lenses/adapter yet, but I'm thinking about it. The 6D was the smallest, lightest FF camera apart from Leica. It isn't now.
[Edit: I should have said digital camera, and with interchangeable lenses]

This is the kind of announcement that can herald a sea change in market share, as the change to AF in the '80s saw Canon catch up with Nikon, leaving olympus and others in the dust. On the other hand, it was Minolta (now Sony) who kicked off the AF revolution, canon followed along with the others.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013

torger said:
I could potentially buy it with a metabones adapter just to use it with my Canon lenses for landscape photography, and then sell the body when/if Canon comes up with something at the same level of performance. The big investment is in lenses.

I think Canon big megapixel is still quite far away, and I doubt that the first camera will be as good in the dynamic range department as Sony.

Canon have some really great lenses though just waiting to be used with a great sensor. With Canon's own bodies it's like using a Ferrari engine (lens) on a Mazda chassis (camera)...

1DX a Mazda chassis ... I'm glad if it works for you!

Upvote 0

J.R. said:
1DX a Mazda chassis ... I'm glad if it works for you!

:)

It depends on genre. Canon has always been great for journalism, action, wildlife, ie the high ISO lower res department. This new A7R is not at all that competitive in these genres by the way, too slow.

For still life and landscape you can sure call the 1DX a mazda chassis when you compare with the current competition. Today I shoot most of my landscape with a digital medium format system, but is also interested in a smaller lighter system in some conditions. I don't like to drop down to 18 megapixel and a base ISO dynamic range worse than a medium format digital back from 2004 when doing so though.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

J.R. said:
all these new cameras are great. However, the breaking point will only arrive if and when Sony can come up with lenses as good as the 24-70 II, 70-200 II, etc.

For me there is no point buying a Ferrari chassis and pairing it with a Mazda engine.

As a second / travel kit probably it is great but the lens collection is too small to be a primary kit. I might consider it once the option for the lenses grow in time.

Cheers ... J.R.

I agree... I have an extensive FF kit ( 5DIII ten lenses from fisheye to 300mm) L glass, Zeiss, best Sigmas...
I also have an extensive MFT kit (E-M5 E-P5..11 lenses from fisheye to 350mm equiv.) all the good AF primes etc.
Sony, classically release great tech in a body and mediocre glass...but they are making more of an effort this time and stocking up on the Zeiss lenses now and upcoming in the next couple of years. As it stands right now..with my advancing age...I can see me in 2-years time, when the next Sony A 36MP body is released with Phase Detection AF, faster frame rate,better VF, 3rd party manufacturers are providing great lenses, the body is improved: just selling off both of my kits and buying into one high-rez kit from Sony.... I am not into slapping MF lenses onto a camera (for the most part...)...but I can see a lot of people abandoning CAnon/Nikon right now who are into the MF thing and never looking back.
It is amazing..the stupidity and arrogance of Canon/Nikon regarding the mirrorless format....mind boggling.
The M is CRAP. Pathetic effort. The V cameras..not much better for serious photographers.
I have an E-P5 with the VF-4 and the photo experience is amazing to say the least...it trumps optical in many ways for me. It is more fun and exciting to use and soooooooo much lighter and smaller!!!! Sony is coupling 36MP capture with all that I just mentioned...Who could not want that!!!?????
I can see in 3 years the Sony A7r system being everything MFT is today...with great glass that is WAY smaller than the current FF CAnon/Nikon glass. MFT is currently an impressive, small, fun system....with very decent capture and a plethora of lenses and more every day... Looks like Sony is the only one embarking on marrying the best of both worlds.
Canon and Nikon look VERY foolish today. It's also completely inexcusable.
I saw this coming, did you see this coming?????? How could Canon not have an offering by NOW??????????
Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

With the A7R having a sensor with the effective megapixels close to the D800, and the A7 being close to the 5D Mark III it really makes me exited to think about how Nikon and Canon are going to push themselves.

I bought the EOS M while it was ~$300 at B&H a month or so ago. The biggest problem with it is the delay from taking a picture after another.

I read somewhere on a DxOMark article that Canon is behind the competition with there sensors due there factory not being as up to date. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about the state of Canon's sensor fabrication plant.

Upvote 0

i'll be honest..
I too am going to get the A7R. Simply because it is what i have been waiting for in a long time.
I'm a Canon fan and i have tons of Canon glass and accessories etc..
But i always thought the weight of the 5D3 was a little too much for me and since i'm not a professional, i don't "need" a professional camera do i.
I have since also made the decision to switch to Sony. I love my 5D3 and all my L glass but somehow the A7R with good zeiss glass…i couldn't see a reason why i needed to keep my canon gear.
I am in fact going to sell away everything and move to Sony by next year once the zeiss 24-70 is launched
Noting against Canon, but i think they are indeed lacking behind in the mirrorless market. I have the M, it's a joke..and with nothing new anytime soon, i can't wait…
Yes i know Canon has something planned, new manufacturing proces, new sensor etc..but by the time they release all that, the competition is yet again few steps ahead..

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

spinworkxroy said:
i'll be honest..
I too am going to get the A7R. Simply because it is what i have been waiting for in a long time.
I'm a Canon fan and i have tons of Canon glass and accessories etc..
But i always thought the weight of the 5D3 was a little too much for me and since i'm not a professional, i don't "need" a professional camera do i.
I have since also made the decision to switch to Sony. I love my 5D3 and all my L glass but somehow the A7R with good zeiss glass…i couldn't see a reason why i needed to keep my canon gear.
I am in fact going to sell away everything and move to Sony by next year once the zeiss 24-70 is launched
Noting against Canon, but i think they are indeed lacking behind in the mirrorless market. I have the M, it's a joke..and with nothing new anytime soon, i can't wait…
You go Boy! LOL!
I am going to be a little patient..but I am definitely headed toward the same boat. How can you not, unless you are a pro who specifically needs certain parts of a pro system. I think when the next Sony body is released and there are many more lenses available is when I will jump. I am skipping eBay too, with their ridiculous percentages...do you know of any forums to sell gear on and just use paypal??????

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK

AquaGeneral said:
With the A7R having a sensor with the effective megapixels close to the D800, and the A7 being close to the 5D Mark III it really makes me exited to think about how Nikon and Canon are going to push themselves.

I bought the EOS M while it was ~$300 at B&H a month or so ago. The biggest problem with it is the delay from taking a picture after another.

I read somewhere on a DxOMark article that Canon is behind the competition with there sensors due there factory not being as up to date. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about the state of Canon's sensor fabrication plant.

I'm content with the number of pixels, for most purposes we have more than I feel the need for. I'm more interested in high ISO performance, and dynamic range at all ISO settings.

I've heard that the updated Eos M firmware gives faster AF, is that the cause of delay from one picture to the next? This may be solved by the 70D sensor. I trust Canon more than Sony on lens design & manufacture, but Sony more than Canon on electronic sensor design and manufacture.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

zim said:
phew... glad the Canon higherarchy don't frequent these pages otherwise there would be a shed load of Seppuku going on at head office :eek: ;D
Oh, I am sure they are fully aware of the widespread disappointment in their sensor development. They don't need to read these forums to know that. :p .. But what can they do? Perhaps they really don't know how to build a new sensor with higher DR and no shadow banding? Perhaps it's nearly impossible to get around the patent of the Exmor sensor?

I actually feel kinda sorry for them, but I'm not sticking around to wait. I have preordered the A7R. It's the new Canon body I've been waiting for.

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013

Funny how many people want to jump ship in a few years because Sony is supposedly to be the next big thing. Everyone has expectations that Sony will have great glass to go with the mirrorless in the near future. Canon will simply stand still ... eh?

With such great expectations from a company that is not even making a profit on the electronics division, people around here tend to think that Canon, the largest Camera selling company for the past decade, won't come up with something comparable, if not better.

Upvote 0

I'm really surprised that only the A7 has phase detect AF. If you get the A7R, you are stuck with contrast detect AF only. That's a hell of a trade off to get more megapixels. With Sony's history of sub-par E mount lenses, they are going to have to demonstrate they can make lenses that are good enough for a 36mp sensor before I would buy one. I guess the folks that are planning to use Leica lenses with an adapter won't care about AF at all though...

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011

J.R. said:
Funny how many people want to jump ship in a few years because Sony is supposedly to be the next big thing. Everyone has expectations that Sony will have great glass to go with the mirrorless in the near future. Canon will simply stand still ... eh?

With such great expectations from a company that is not even making a profit on the electronics division, people around here tend to think that Canon, the largest Camera selling company for the past decade, won't come up with something comparable, if not better.

Or...they could end up like Blackberry...asleep at the wheel. Time will tell.

Upvote 0