Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

May 20, 2011
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

J.R. said:
Funny how many people want to jump ship in a few years because Sony is supposedly to be the next big thing. Everyone has expectations that Sony will have great glass to go with the mirrorless in the near future. Canon will simply stand still ... eh?

With such great expectations from a company that is not even making a profit on the electronics division, people around here tend to think that Canon, the largest Camera selling company for the past decade, won't come up with something comparable, if not better.
Jump ship? I guess you missed the part about this camera being able to use lenses from Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and Canon.

I am not jumping ship. I am simply not buying another body from Canon until they release a high resolution, high DR camera, in a light and affordable package.

The A7R will keep me entertained until then.

Upvote 0

spinworkxroy said:
i'll be honest..
I too am going to get the A7R. Simply because it is what i have been waiting for in a long time.
I'm a Canon fan and i have tons of Canon glass and accessories etc..
But i always thought the weight of the 5D3 was a little too much for me and since i'm not a professional, i don't "need" a professional camera do i.
I have since also made the decision to switch to Sony. I love my 5D3 and all my L glass but somehow the A7R with good zeiss glass…i couldn't see a reason why i needed to keep my canon gear.
I am in fact going to sell away everything and move to Sony by next year once the zeiss 24-70 is launched
Noting against Canon, but i think they are indeed lacking behind in the mirrorless market. I have the M, it's a joke..and with nothing new anytime soon, i can't wait…
Yes i know Canon has something planned, new manufacturing proces, new sensor etc..but by the time they release all that, the competition is yet again few steps ahead..

No need to get rid of all your Canon glass, with an adaptor for the Sony you could keep using them and save yourself A LOT of money. That Sony/Zeiss glass is even more overpriced than Canon glass :p!

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

bchernicoff said:
I'm really surprised that only the A7 has phase detect AF. If you get the A7R, you are stuck with contrast detect AF only. That's a hell of a trade off to get more megapixels. With Sony's history of sub-par E mount lenses, they are going to have to demonstrate they can make lenses that are good enough for a 36mp sensor before I would buy one. I guess the folks that are planning to use Leica lenses with an adapter won't care about AF at all though...
Could not care less about the AF. I have my 5D3 for such things.

The A7R will give me everything I've been missing with Canon. A big load of MPs and lots of dynamic range. I will be using it for traveling, studio work, landscapes, still life and architectural work. None of which requires state of the art AF.

Oh, and I do love that it's small. :)

Upvote 0

e17paul said:
AquaGeneral said:
With the A7R having a sensor with the effective megapixels close to the D800, and the A7 being close to the 5D Mark III it really makes me exited to think about how Nikon and Canon are going to push themselves.

I bought the EOS M while it was ~$300 at B&H a month or so ago. The biggest problem with it is the delay from taking a picture after another.

I read somewhere on a DxOMark article that Canon is behind the competition with there sensors due there factory not being as up to date. I'd like to know if anyone knows anything about the state of Canon's sensor fabrication plant.

I'm content with the number of pixels, for most purposes we have more than I feel the need for. I'm more interested in high ISO performance, and dynamic range at all ISO settings.

I've heard that the updated Eos M firmware gives faster AF, is that the cause of delay from one picture to the next? This may be solved by the 70D sensor. I trust Canon more than Sony on lens design & manufacture, but Sony more than Canon on electronic sensor design and manufacture.

I was far too brief with my post. I was supposed to write a few more thoughts. I agree that the pixel count is great as it is. I meant to add that the Canon sensors are generally beaten in dynamic range, low light performance and such by sometimes much cheaper Nikon cameras. I admit that I am using DxOMark my primary source. I have seen quite a few side-by-side comparisons between a 5D Mark III and the D800. The D800 picks details the Canon barely sees, but of course the Canon does a very good job with the number of pixels it can work with.

Unfortunately those are the feelings I have even with the EOS M firmware update. I do use my 5D Mark III significantly more than my EOS M. I guess the EOS M's performance is definitely good enough once I am used to it.

With Canon's internal "big megapixel sensor" developments, I really am looking forward to see how much they are pushing in their sensor development.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

I'm not sure what to say ::)

I will not sell any of my Canon gear until I hand-on A7 + Zeiss 50mm f1.8. Below are few photos taken with my RX1. This is why I want compact camera but delivers high IQ in any light condition.

Attachments

• Sony A7 & 50mm.jpg
    Sony A7 & 50mm.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 1,920
  • RX1 indoor.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,991
  • RX1 in low light.jpg
    886.1 KB · Views: 1,823
Upvote 0

I know people buy/sell on fredmiranda.com. although I've never done that.

So, just to clarify for myself. Are these cameras fully compatible with any EF lenses, Zeiss T lenses and have in-body image stabilization? Wondering how AF would work on these bodies with Canon lenses. I guess until recently a lot of third party lenses had issues with AF on Canon/Nikon bodies.

infared said:
spinworkxroy said:
i'll be honest..
I too am going to get the A7R. Simply because it is what i have been waiting for in a long time.
I'm a Canon fan and i have tons of Canon glass and accessories etc..
But i always thought the weight of the 5D3 was a little too much for me and since i'm not a professional, i don't "need" a professional camera do i.
I have since also made the decision to switch to Sony. I love my 5D3 and all my L glass but somehow the A7R with good zeiss glass…i couldn't see a reason why i needed to keep my canon gear.
I am in fact going to sell away everything and move to Sony by next year once the zeiss 24-70 is launched
Noting against Canon, but i think they are indeed lacking behind in the mirrorless market. I have the M, it's a joke..and with nothing new anytime soon, i can't wait…
You go Boy! LOL!
I am going to be a little patient..but I am definitely headed toward the same boat. How can you not, unless you are a pro who specifically needs certain parts of a pro system. I think when the next Sony body is released and there are many more lenses available is when I will jump. I am skipping eBay too, with their ridiculous percentages...do you know of any forums to sell gear on and just use paypal??????

Upvote 0

torger said:
I could potentially buy it with a metabones adapter just to use it with my Canon lenses for landscape photography, and then sell the body when/if Canon comes up with something at the same level of performance. The big investment is in lenses.

I think Canon big megapixel is still quite far away, and I doubt that the first camera will be as good in the dynamic range department as Sony.

Canon have some really great lenses though just waiting to be used with a great sensor. With Canon's own bodies it's like using a Ferrari engine (lens) on a Mazda chassis (camera)...
Not gonna happen. The speed booster works on crop sensors.

Is my Speed Booster® or Smart Adapter™ compatible with full-frame camera bodies?
Smart Adapter™ I, Smart Adapter™ II and Speed Booster® are NOT compatible with NEX full-frame camera bodies. If the full-frame camera body is configured to auto-crop mode, cropping will be automatically applied and only the center of the frame will be used.

Upvote 0

schmidtfilme

Photographer / Documentary Filmmaker
Sep 5, 2012
Nuremberg
www.35photo.de

Ricku said:
J.R. said:
Funny how many people want to jump ship in a few years because Sony is supposedly to be the next big thing. Everyone has expectations that Sony will have great glass to go with the mirrorless in the near future. Canon will simply stand still ... eh?

With such great expectations from a company that is not even making a profit on the electronics division, people around here tend to think that Canon, the largest Camera selling company for the past decade, won't come up with something comparable, if not better.
Jump ship? I guess you missed the part about this camera being able to use lenses from Nikon, Leica, Zeiss and Canon.

I am not jumping ship. I am simply not buying another body from Canon until they release a high resolution, high DR camera, in a light and affordable package.

The A7R will keep me entertained until then.

Could you provide a link to that adapter? Is it supporting AF or MF only?

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011

Hopefully this is the watershed moment for Sony and they start delivering quality lenses across the price spectrum. Most of their zooms are not well regarded, and the primes are limited as well. If they and Sigma can deliver a half dozen lenses that can match optical performance of a D600 or 5DIII system, they'll have a winner. If not, they'll remain a niche.

Cause right now a lot of their lenses struggled on the NEX-7, so I can only imagine what the A7r will do to them

Upvote 0

I think this is the adapter: http://www.metabones.com/sony/buy-eos-nex-adapter

Focusing performance etc won't be great of course, but I would be using this camera for landscape and still life (for hand-held action and high ISO Canon is very competitive indeed already), ie manual focus via live-view off a tripod.

Say if it's 1 year until Canon releases it's first big megapixel, and it still lacks in DR (I think it will), and then 2 more years before they become competitive at that point. Having an A7R meanwhile at the same time as say a 5D mark III and use Canon glass via adapter seems like a quite good idea. Sure an extra body on the side only for landscape/still life is an expensive solution, but looking the pile of L glass the main cost is there, not in the bodies, and you would get some residual value off the Sony when selling it second hand when you can get a Canon of corresponding functionality.

Saying that this camera is slow and and focusing performance sucks is missing the point. What we should be excited about is that high resolution high DR sensor and the ability to use our excellent Canon glass with it. If you don't desire this resolution or DR then you don't need to look at it.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

schmidtfilme said:
Could you provide a link to that adapter? Is it supporting AF or MF only?
I still don't know the name of the adapter. Haven't gotten that far yet, but here is a video of a guy using the 17-40L on the A7R, with AF and everything. :)

Fast forward to 11:20. (but I recommend watching the entire video).

Sony A7 & A7R Hands-On Field Test

Upvote 0

I just pre ordered the a7 and 28- 70 kit lens from Sony.com here in China.
The a7 and the 28-70 Kit lens are $1860 here in China, which is actually 130 dollars less than in America.
I'm very excited to get some old Takumars or 1.2 manual focus vintage glass and have some fun.
I doubt I will ever buy another DSLR again.

Upvote 0

4 fps for the A7R and 5 fps for the A7 according to the video on Sony's blog. The A7 is coming in at $1698 body only. If was to choose between them I'd go for the A7, seems like a pretty good deal. I don't need 36MP, 24 is fine.

I'd have to sell something though to fund it. Maybe my EOS M and 7D? Could be a possibility but I don't really need it yet!

Come on Canon, do something. :(

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

lonelywhitelights said:

No need to get rid of all your Canon glass, with an adaptor for the Sony you could keep using them and save yourself A LOT of money. That Sony/Zeiss glass is even more overpriced than Canon glass :p!

Putting an adapter + L lens(es) on A7 or A7R would kill the primary purpose of mirrorless. You might as well stay with Canon DSLR + L lenses.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

It ups the game a bit for sure. Sony have been ploughing their own furrow and seem to abandon technoogies as quickly as they develop them, no SLT here by the looks of it.

Canon also have they advantage that an EF lens will work on any EOS camera is well established with plenty of choice from budget to high performing.

The Sony idea of letting you fit the APS-C lenses with cropping is a goody (as do Nikon, I appreciate the mirror on 135/leica/minature format EOS cameras prohibits this)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

@Dylan: Congrats on your order! Hope your A7 will be delivered to you soon and look forward to reading about your hands-on experience with it! ;-)

Dylan777 said:
Putting an adapter + L lens(es) on A7 or A7R would kill the primary purpose of mirrorless. You might as well stay with Canon DSLR + L lenses.

I disagree on this one. A small camera allows for a small & light package, when heavy lenses are not needed. When heavy (tele) lenses are reuqired, the package will not be small and light any longer. But I do not need to buy and operate to different cameras from different manufacturers with differen user interfaces in parallel. But only one. I will definitely keep and use my 70-200 II with an adaptor on an A7/R .. if I get one. Wilol still wait somewhat, to see what IQ and performacne are like. And also, beacuse I would like the 24-70 Zeiss as standard walkaround zoom lens. Right now, the only native lens available with the A7R is the 35/2.8 which I do not care for at all and certainly not at a price of 800 Euro.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2011

Dylan777 said:
lonelywhitelights said:

Not if you want high resolution, loads of DR and no shadow banding. :p

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013

Ricku said:
Dylan777 said:
lonelywhitelights said:

Not if you want high resolution, loads of DR and no shadow banding. :p

Roger Cicala's take on lens adapters... There is no free lunch

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

Upvote 0

Fun that the most exciting thing since a long time on this forum is a Sony camera. I must admit I am excited too, I would have preferred a decently priced High Mpx Canon reflex, but I start to wonder if it will ever happen. The A7r seems so cheap for the sensor it offers, it will probably be my next camera to finally upgrade from my ageing 5D2s. This should be a decent performer to use my TS-E collection for architecture.

The more it goes, the more Canon shows it's lack of creativity, and IMO they should be careful if they want to stay on the podium in the future. While they recycle their old components into a not-so-new camera or make version 4 of the same old lens, other brand are actually creating exciting new products and guess what ? Decent prices.
Canon is definitely becoming the Japanese Leica, for its conservatism and price policy.

Sony has definitely played a nice move. I'm afraid as too often, Canon will come too late, too expensive and not daring enough.

Upvote 0