Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Apr 24, 2012
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

I don't remember where I read it, but some reviewer wrote "the a7 is not going to replace your DSLR, but the MkII could". I bought a sony a7 and I sent it back because I didn't feel ready to invest in the system. But the IQ and the size were so amazing that I might buy one again at some point.

I agree with Rienz. I think in a couple years time the situation might be very different. Sony has still a so-so reputation in the photographic world, but if/when Fuji will release a FF X system, then the whole market might reconsider its position. Canikon don't seem too interested, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Albi86 said:
I agree with Rienz. I think in a couple years time the situation might be very different. Sony has still a so-so reputation in the photographic world, but if/when Fuji will release a FF X system, then the whole market might reconsider its position.

I had hoped Fuji would go FF based on rumors, but it looks unlikely according to this interview with Fuji executive:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2013/12/17/fujifilm-not-coming-up-with-full-frame-x-mount-camera-according-to-manager

Yes, we have a couple of years to consider things. By then, a Canon 5D MKIV will be apparent, and depending on what Canon does with new sensor (or not :-[), many will consider other options including Sony. Hopefully, by then Sony will have: improved customer service, fixed their overheating speedlite, introduced some TTL triggers, made their RAW lossless, fixed the shutter vibration, improved AF on FF, etc.

Upvote 0
L

Lightmaster

today i had the chance to test the Sony A7R.

all i can say.... I WANT THAT SENSOR IN A CANON!!!

pushing the shadow on ISO 100-200 images introduced nearly no noise.
images from canon looked like S___ when pushed about the same amount.
really, the difference on noise introduced is like ISO 400 vs. ISO 3200 images... :eek:

for lansdscape images, where i often have to lighten the shadow areas a bit, that´s a great deal.
the sensor at ISO 100 really is a dream.
personally i don´t care about ISO beyond ISO 3200 (i can´t sell such images anyway).

the EVF is really good too. still not perfect but an absolutely useable EVF.

i must say i am impressed by it´s sensor... and in parts the EVF.

a canon 5D MK3 with this sony sensor.... what a fantastic camera that would be.

canon builds the best overall cameras in my opinion.
but this sony sensor shows that canon has much room for improvement.

of course i knew the tests done with the D800.
but using this sensor myself with LR today was an eye opener.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

drjlo said:
Albi86 said:
I agree with Rienz. I think in a couple years time the situation might be very different. Sony has still a so-so reputation in the photographic world, but if/when Fuji will release a FF X system, then the whole market might reconsider its position.

I had hoped Fuji would go FF based on rumors,
+1 ... I think most people, including myself, thought that Fuji would be the first to put a full frame sensor in a mirrorless camera ... but Sony managed to pull a surprise... I still think if a few more players (like Fuji, Panasonic & CanNikon) put a FF sensor in a mirrorless camera, than we will see faster change (i.e more lenses, speedlites etc) ... till that time Sony will most likely take its own sweet time.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

forget A7/R/S. I won't buy any of them. :)
If Sony wants my money they better give me an A8/R with 500+ shots battery live, 4k Retina EVF and fully tracking capable AF. Not video capabilities required.

btw: I just love it, that Sony charges much more for the freaking "video-optimized" A7S ... 500 bucks/Euro more than the A7R and a full grand more than A7.
I'd love to see exactly the same options and pricing differential for "video-optimized" Canon DSLRs. Not only 1d_x vs. 1D-C but also upcoming 5D IV vs. 5D IV c(inema) and 7D II vs. 7D II v(ideo).

So sweet. You want freking video, zebras, peaking crap ... you pay for it baby, you get it! You want stills only ... we're goin' to break you a deal, pal. Strike. 8)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

AvTvM said:
forget A7/R/S. I won't buy any of them. :)
If Sony wants my money they better give me an A8/R with 500+ shots battery live, 4k Retina EVF and fully tracking capable AF. Not video capabilities required.

btw: I just love it, that Sony charges much more for the freaking "video-optimized" A7S ... 500 bucks/Euro more than the A7R and a full grand more than A7.
I'd love to see exactly the same options and pricing differential for "video-optimized" Canon DSLRs. Not only 1d_x vs. 1D-C but also upcoming 5D IV vs. 5D IV c(inema) and 7D II vs. 7D II v(ideo).

So sweet. You want freking video, zebras, peaking crap ... you pay for it baby, you get it! You want stills only ... we're goin' to break you a deal, pal. Strike. 8)

If - if -- if --- and more if

Last time I check, Sony is the only one offering FF mirrorless for less than $3K. Can we really blame them for this?

Upvote 0

AvTvM said:
Either precisely the camera i want, or no purchase.

This continues to be the core of your proclamations: you imply that what you want is also what the market as a whole wants. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but unless you have a few tens of millions of dollars to give Sony, Canon or Nikon, they're not going to custom-build a camera to your preferences. Rather, they'll do their own market and engineering analyses to determine what's likely to make money. (OK, Canon and Nikon will do that, Sony will build what some exec dreamed-up while sitting on the toilet ;D )

Just grab whatever you have and go out and take pictures!

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

You are mistaken. In many ways. :)

I just stated, that i won't purchase another camera if it ain't precisely what i want. :)

And i'm helping out possible suppliers by givkng them some clues what camera i would precisely want. So that they're not ignorant towards my requirements and don't inadvertantly build new cameras falling short of my wishes. Sitting on the shelves, waiting for purchasers never to come.

You know, it has happened before. :)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

AvTvM said:
You are mistaken. In many ways. :)

I just stated, that i won't purchase another camera if it ain't precisely what i want. :)

And i'm helping out possible suppliers by givkng them some clues what camera i would precisely want. So that they're not ignorant towards my requirements and don't inadvertantly build new cameras falling short of my wishes. Sitting on the shelves, waiting for purchasers never to come.
You know, it has happened before. :)

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rx100m3-topseller-at-amazon-a7s-doing-well-too/

Upvote 0

I see an awful lot of bitching, complaining and general brand hatred in this thread. Let me add:

- If you want a Canon/Nikon camera like the A7/A7R to use with all your Canon/Nikon lenses, buy an adapter!
- If you don't like the A7/A7R, don't buy it.
- If Sony doesn't make the lens you want, use someone else's!

If you want a really great full frame camera, buy the Sony A7 or A7r and enjoy it.

I've been a Canon user for years and a Pentax user before that. I now have an A7R with adapters for all my Canon, Pentax, Minolta, M42 and T2 lenses and love it. I own one Sony lens, the kit 28-70mm fit lens for the A7 (because someone didn't like it and gave it to me). BEST lens I've ever had for the price!

Stop bitching, go for it and have fun...

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

bwana said:
I see an awful lot of bitching, complaining and general brand hatred in this thread. Let me add:

- If you want a Canon/Nikon camera like the A7/A7R to use with all your Canon/Nikon lenses, buy an adapter!

If you want a really great full frame camera, buy the Sony A7 or A7r and enjoy it.

I've been a Canon user for years and a Pentax user before that. I now have an A7R with adapters for all my Canon, Pentax, Minolta, M42 and T2 lenses and love it. I own one Sony lens, the kit 28-70mm fit lens for the A7 (because someone didn't like it and gave it to me). BEST lens I've ever had for the price!

Not quite the post one expects from a first time poster ... nevertheless Welcome to CR!

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

bwana said:

Quite so. There are likely plenty of people for whom the A7 series aren't "really great" for various reasons, but for the rest of us they are indeed fun, especially if you like manual focusing and (depending on the lens) aperture selection. I've been greatly enjoying using on my A7r a variety of old manual lenses (Helios, Jupiter, Minolta, Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Vivitar & Pentax/Takumar), all of which have been very inexpensive to buy and which work really well with even cheap adapters - along with various Canon EF lenses; and when I want AF and even higher resolution I'll use the two Sony/Zeiss primes. I'm so taken with the whole process I've recently added the even smaller and lighter a6000. (Toss in my Olympus OM-D - its excellent IBIS helps - and each manual lens effectively acquires three different focal lengths; yes, you can achieve similar effects by cropping, but it's a rather different experience.)

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

Rienzphotoz said:
bwana said:

Not quite the post one expects from a first time poster ... nevertheless Welcome to CR!

Ummmmm, Yes, I agree with Rienz, welcome to CR, I think.

I've had my a7r for a while now, handed it to my eldest lad who likes it, but I recently re appropriated it to use with the Otus 55f/1.4, I must say that combination is quite remarkable, the Focus Peaking on the a7r is hugely useful with this Manual Focus Lens, I prefer this combo at the moment over the 1Dx with a Manual Focus Screen in place, especially in Low Light.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
bwana said:

Ummmmm, Yes, I agree with Rienz, welcome to CR, I think.

I've had my a7r for a while now, handed it to my eldest lad who likes it, but I recently re appropriated it to use with the Otus 55f/1.4, I must say that combination is quite remarkable, the Focus Peaking on the a7r is hugely useful with this Manual Focus Lens, I prefer this combo at the moment over the 1Dx with a Manual Focus Screen in place, especially in Low Light.

A7r + FE 55mm = 50L sold on ebay. I have no plan adding 50mm to my current gear. The primary reason I haven't place a pre-order on Canon 16-35 f4 IS is I'm waiting to see what Sony/Zeiss has to offer on their rumor FE 16-35 f4 OS.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

Dylan777 said:
A7r + FE 55mm = 50L sold on ebay. I have no plan adding 50mm to my current gear. The primary reason I haven't place a pre-order on Canon 16-35 f4 IS is I'm waiting to see what Sony/Zeiss has to offer on their rumor FE 16-35 f4 OS.

The list Posted earlier in this thread re the upcoming Lenses Zeiss are producing for the Sony E Mount are very interesting, especially the faster lenses less than f/2.8, that's of real interest for me I must admit.

I love the Otus, but it would be nice to get something that has AF that's almost as good, in a Zeiss.

Upvote 0