Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

Jul 14, 2012
Re: Off Brand: Sony Announces the A7 & A7R Full Frame Mirrorless Cameras

eml58 said:
The list Posted earlier in this thread re the upcoming Lenses Zeiss are producing for the Sony E Mount are very interesting, especially the faster lenses less than f/2.8, that's of real interest for me I must admit.

I love the Otus, but it would be nice to get something that has AF that's almost as good, in a Zeiss.

Maybe you mentioned this earlier in the thread, but if not - did you ever try the Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8?

Upvote 0

Love my Sony A7r, of course accepting all the differences of what we are used to, in my case particularly the wake up time of the view finder, and of course the clunky Metabones adapter! Hope Novoflex will come up with something adequate soon.
It is amazing that 36 mp sensor in that camera was not released with a companion of native super wide angle lens, and that is my only really serious problem I have with Sony so far.
On the side note, I am starting to don't believe the stats about the mirror less cameras market share, I have mirror less Sony, yesterday at Sanibel Island I meet a guy proudly caring his high end mirror less Olympus, and my friend just left for New York from short visit with his extremely elegant mirror less Fuji... Maybe coincidence, but if not, expect prices of DSLR really go up pretty soon if only pros with giant white lenses and wedding photographers will buy them, kind of like the cinema line, and seem like Canon really insist to alienate serious amateurs or semi pros...
People here are wishing things that are not good for them just because some weird love to a "brand". It is very interesting to watch how this will play out.

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore

sdsr said:
Maybe you mentioned this earlier in the thread, but if not - did you ever try the Sony/Zeiss 55mm 1.8?

I haven't no, reports say it's an excellent Lens, but I have the 50f/1.2 L and like it, now the outs 55, and like it, so I'm about 50'ed out for the moment.

Originally I bought the a7r as a potential replacement Underwater Camera for the 5DMK III, but the lack of a 15mm wide angle & 100 macro have put those plans on hold, for the moment.

The smaller form factor, the Focus Peaking, the Sensor, the Zeiss Lenses are all great positives on this Camera, I'm less enthused with the View Finder, but I imagine that will improve in the Mark II version.

All round I like the Camera, it won't for a very long time/possibly never, replace the 1Dx, and that's fine, but once we can get a better range of Zeiss Lenses for it the "system" will be more useful.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012

Dylan777 said:
eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
bwana said:
I see an awful lot of bitching, complaining and general brand hatred in this thread. Let me add:

- If you want a Canon/Nikon camera like the A7/A7R to use with all your Canon/Nikon lenses, buy an adapter!
- If you don't like the A7/A7R, don't buy it.
- If Sony doesn't make the lens you want, use someone else's!

If you want a really great full frame camera, buy the Sony A7 or A7r and enjoy it.

I've been a Canon user for years and a Pentax user before that. I now have an A7R with adapters for all my Canon, Pentax, Minolta, M42 and T2 lenses and love it. I own one Sony lens, the kit 28-70mm fit lens for the A7 (because someone didn't like it and gave it to me). BEST lens I've ever had for the price!

Stop bitching, go for it and have fun...
Not quite the post one expects from a first time poster ... nevertheless Welcome to CR!

Ummmmm, Yes, I agree with Rienz, welcome to CR, I think.

I've had my a7r for a while now, handed it to my eldest lad who likes it, but I recently re appropriated it to use with the Otus 55f/1.4, I must say that combination is quite remarkable, the Focus Peaking on the a7r is hugely useful with this Manual Focus Lens, I prefer this combo at the moment over the 1Dx with a Manual Focus Screen in place, especially in Low Light.

A7r + FE 55mm = 50L sold on ebay. I have no plan adding 50mm to my current gear. The primary reason I haven't place a pre-order on Canon 16-35 f4 IS is I'm waiting to see what Sony/Zeiss has to offer on their rumor FE 16-35 f4 OS.
Just bought the FE 55 f/1.8 and the FE 70-200 f/4 OSS lenses today ... and I agree with you about the 55, its a fantastic lens ... the 70-200 f/4 was surprise package, it is very light with very good build quality, makes it easy to travel with it.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011

Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
bwana said:
I see an awful lot of bitching, complaining and general brand hatred in this thread. Let me add:

- If you want a Canon/Nikon camera like the A7/A7R to use with all your Canon/Nikon lenses, buy an adapter!

If you want a really great full frame camera, buy the Sony A7 or A7r and enjoy it.

I've been a Canon user for years and a Pentax user before that. I now have an A7R with adapters for all my Canon, Pentax, Minolta, M42 and T2 lenses and love it. I own one Sony lens, the kit 28-70mm fit lens for the A7 (because someone didn't like it and gave it to me). BEST lens I've ever had for the price!

Not quite the post one expects from a first time poster ... nevertheless Welcome to CR!

I've had my a7r for a while now, handed it to my eldest lad who likes it, but I recently re appropriated it to use with the Otus 55f/1.4, I must say that combination is quite remarkable, the Focus Peaking on the a7r is hugely useful with this Manual Focus Lens, I prefer this combo at the moment over the 1Dx with a Manual Focus Screen in place, especially in Low Light.

A7r + FE 55mm = 50L sold on ebay. I have no plan adding 50mm to my current gear. The primary reason I haven't place a pre-order on Canon 16-35 f4 IS is I'm waiting to see what Sony/Zeiss has to offer on their rumor FE 16-35 f4 OS.
Just bought the FE 55 f/1.8 and the FE 70-200 f/4 OSS lenses today ... and I agree with you about the 55, its a fantastic lens ... the 70-200 f/4 was surprise package, it is very light with very good build quality, makes it easy to travel with it.

Your signature is getting out of controll... ;D Keep in mind, FE 16-35 f4 OS is right around the corner.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012

AvTvM said:
Sony FE 70-200/4 OSS is 80 grams HEAVIER and slightly LARGER than Canon EF 70-200 /4 L IS ... and delivers somewhat LESS IQ ... at 40% HIGHER price. ;-)

Luckily, the Canon works very well attached to the Sony bodies - provided you don't mind the AF compromises.... (I'm coming to prefer manual focus, so it's not a problem for me.)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

sdsr said:
Luckily, the Canon works very well attached to the Sony bodies - provided you don't mind the AF compromises.... (I'm coming to prefer manual focus, so it's not a problem for me.)

I do - respectively i would - mind "AF compromises". I have not ever used a manual focus ring since about 1985 or so [when I got my first Minolta AF SLR] and will never go back to manual focusing. I'd prefer if there were lenses with top-notch AF-drive and full weathersealing, and devoid of any manual focus gear and focus ring. ;-)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

AvTvM said:
Sony FE 70-200/4 OSS is 80 grams HEAVIER and slightly LARGER than Canon EF 70-200 /4 L IS ... and delivers somewhat LESS IQ ... at 40% HIGHER price. ;-)
Yes, the Sony FE 70-200/4 OSS is "80 grams HEAVIER and slightly LARGER than Canon EF 70-200 /4 L IS", but following are the reasons why I went with the Sony FE version:
[list type=decimal]
[*]I already have the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, so I don't want another EF lens of the same FOL
[*]Although I really like the EF 70-200, if I want to use it on my a7 or a6000, I need to use my metabones adapter which takes away the weight & size advantage and not to mention slow AF
[*]Being a native lens the Sony FE 70-200 f/4 OSS auto focuses really fast and accurately like a machine gun on my a6000
[/list]
So, for me, the above considerations are worth spending the extra money on the FE 70-200 f/4 OSS

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012

Dylan777 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
Dylan777 said:
eml58 said:
Rienzphotoz said:
bwana said:

Your signature is getting out of controll... ;D Keep in mind, FE 16-35 f4 OS is right around the corner.
;D ;D ... I do have my eyes on the upcoming FE 16-35 f/4 OSS, but I am seriously considering the 10-18 f/4 OSS - my reasons for that are:
I can have the 10-18 f/4 OSS mounted on a6000 and the 24-70 mounted on a7 with 55 f/1.8 & 70-200 f/4 OSS in the bag ... that will give me a very good range of 15mm to 300mm for any situation in just one small bag, especially when I'm out and about ... eventually when the MK II versions of a7/a7R come out, I will sell the 10-18 and get one of the MK II versions of a7/a7R and the FE 16-35 f/4 OSS ... lets see how that goes.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

Rienzphotoz said:
Yes, the Sony FE 70-200/4 OSS is "80 grams HEAVIER and slightly LARGER than Canon EF 70-200 /4 L IS", but following are the reasons why I went with the Sony FE version:
[list type=decimal]
[*]I already have the EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, so I don't want another EF lens of the same FOL
[*]Although I really like the EF 70-200, if I want to use it on my a7 or a6000, I need to use my metabones adapter which takes away the weight & size advantage and not to mention slow AF
[*]Being a native lens the Sony FE 70-200 f/4 OSS auto focuses really fast and accurately like a machine gun on my a6000
[/list]
So, for me, the above considerations are worth spending the extra money on the FE 70-200 f/4 OSS

I totally agree. Had i bought an A7/R i would also have purchased native lenses with at least halfway decent AF. However, i find sony lens pricing even more outrageous than canon's. Not only fe lenses but also other zeiss branded glass as well as almost all of the sony G lenses (a-mount).

Lens choice is one more reason why i would really like to see and buy a canon FF MILC ... along with a) decent mid-price lenses and b) outstanding high-price L's ... Like 70-200 2.8 II and 4 is, 24-70 2.8 II and 4 IS ... Of course in a new native short flange distance mount.

Upvote 0