Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div class="articleBody">
<p><strong>MELVILLE, N.Y., February 5, 2015 —</strong> Canon U.S.A., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing a new addition to the Company’s G-series lineup of premium compact cameras—the PowerShot G3 X—and will display a prototype of the camera at CP+ Camera & Photo Imaging Show 2015, to be held from February 12th-15th at the PACIFICO YOKOHAMA Exhibition Hall in Yokohama, Japan.</p>
<p>The new PowerShot G3 X, currently under development by Canon Inc., will incorporate a large 1.0-inch sensor and a 24–600mm (35mm film equivalent) 25x optical zoom lens while maintaining a compact size that makes it easy to carry around. The camera will produce images with beautifully blurred backgrounds, made possible by its large sensor, and provide users with a wide range of focal lengths, from wide-angle to telephoto. The addition of the new model will serve to further bolster Canon’s already impressive G-series PowerShot camera lineup.</p>
<p>Introduced in 2000 as a high-end-model lineup, Canon’s G series of PowerShot cameras has played a leading role in the compact camera market thanks to its high-image quality.</p>
<p>Calling upon the Company’s latest lens, sensor and image processing technology know-how, Canon launched the current flagship-model PowerShot G1 X Mark II camera in March 2014, followed in October of the same year with the launch of the high-image-quality compact-body PowerShot G7 X camera. Both models have proven popular among a wide range of high-end users, including users of EOS-series interchangeable-lens cameras.</p>
<p>By actively and flexibly responding to the market’s diverse needs, particularly through the bolstering of the Company’s high-end-model lineup, Canon will continue to contribute to the expansion of the photographic imaging culture.</p>
</div>
<div class="articleLinksAndTags"><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></div>

Hmm... looks like an interesting development. It does have the approximate focal range I was hoping for, or even a little better (I would have been ok with 24-400 or 25-500mm, given my expectations in other areas in the camera).

But, what's the aperture range? That's something I'm a bit concerned about given what appears to be the size of the camera. It looks to me like a G-series size, which seems reasonable given it's a G-series name. I was hoping for something more like the SX ## series size and form factor, like the Sony RX10 and Panasonic FZ1000, and I was hoping for something like an F/2.0-4.0, or even F/1.4-4.0 with that focal length. (If I could dream I'd even ask for F/1.0-2.8, but I have yet to see any type of camera with that.) But, with the smaller size, I think I'd be dreaming to expect F/2.8-5.6, and maybe F/3.5-7.1 would be more likely. :(

Also, no mention of 4K video. :( The Panasonic has it, I was hoping Canon would 1-Up them and give unlimited 4K (and 1080p) shooting, at least in the USA, without the 30 minute or 4 GB limit.

Also, this one's not a huge issue for me, but quite a few people are commenting on the dpreview post on this camera, and complaining about the lack of a built-in VF.

And, the fact that no date is announced for its actual arrival gives me pause, too. I'm wanting to buy a camera to replace my SX10 IS by Memorial Day weekend in May, and was hoping to buy Canon's answer to the FZ1000. Looks like I may be getting the FZ1000 instead, although I'm not planning to make the purchase before April or early May.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dswtan said:
Amazed this is not getting more buzz! Sounds fantastic for my business travel needs, replacing my longstanding ~3-yr G-series upgrades and occasional superzoom usage. Probably better for me than the M3! Hope the lack of discussion here is not indicative of a potential meh reaction from the market... :-/

When it was first revealed by Canon last September, there was some interest, the recent announcement is merely giving more detail and a model number, but still no actual camera.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2014/10/09/canon-teases-large-sensor-long-zoom-compact-camera

Upvote 0