Official: Canon PowerShot G7 X

Same size as the RX100II, a Canon first for a P&S with a top sensor. Nice.

Weight 50% more than RX100II, not nice at all, but the lens is much faster at the long end which is very nice. So a pick your poison, faster lens or deal with a bit more weight. EDIT: weight is actually only 8% more than the RX100 (originally a with battery for one and without for the other comparison was done by accident)

Seems like there is now a viable RX100 alternative.

I wonder if the UI is a bit nicer than on the RX100 too?

Upvote 0
This reminds me when Isuzu produced the Rodeo SUV which sold very well. Honda was scrambling desperately for an SUV at the time for that was the market. So Honda turned to Isuzu to rebadge the Rodeo and sell it through Honda dealerships as the Passport. Some consumers fell for it and the worst was several publications that do annual auto surveys, people actually rated the Passport higher in quality simply cause it was a Honda.

Seems Canon is having a similar dilemma....

Can you spot the Canon model below?

LetTheRightLensIn said:
Same size as the RX100II, a Canon first for a P&S with a top sensor. Nice.

Weight 50% more than RX100II, not nice at all, but the lens is much faster at the long end which is very nice. So a pick your poison, faster lens or deal with a bit more weight.

Seems like there is now a viable RX100 alternative.

I wonder if the UI is a bit nicer than on the RX100?

Attachments

• 280px-2001-2003_Isuzu_Rodeo.jpg
    280px-2001-2003_Isuzu_Rodeo.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 990
  • 280px-00-02_Honda_Passport.jpg
    280px-00-02_Honda_Passport.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 1,027
Upvote 0
Etienne said:
I wish they'd use a DPAF sensor in this little cameras. The little cameras frequently have focusing issues, especially for video.
Video performance will be the deciding factor for me on this one. The Sony RX100 mkIII apparently nails video

If it's a sony sensor, then they'd need to license DPAF from Canon :(

I would expect the AF from Canon to be as good as the Sony.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
distant.star said:
Mitch.Conner said:
Impressive. Finally I have a reason to sell my s95.

I don't think I've used my S95 all this year. Never occurred to me that anyone might buy it. How much value could it possibly have?

My 6 year old loves using it. If it breaks, she gets the S100 next...everyone needs a backup camera. ;)

Upvote 0
kennephoto said:
So im curious to know if this is better than my eos m. I like my eos m but if this can do everything the eos m can but faster and even more portable then I might be looking at this camera. I just use my eos m for portablility, eBay, and video stuff.

It should have a bit better dynamic range at ISO100-200 than the EOS M, but otherwise it will have worse IQ.
But EOS M is way the heck bigger. At that point I'd rather use a full on DSLR. This cam is something you can toss in a pocket and take to a gathering/party/walk/basically every time you step out of the house. Before, the Sny RX100 was the only one that was that small, but still had some reasonablish degree of image quality, but now you also have this as an option (maybe the new Lumix as well, that one might have a bit better IQ than this and the SONY, perhaps, and also has 4k video, it does weigh more and it's a bit bigger, perhaps still just small enough to be a true small pocket anywhere cam as these are too but not sure yet). Anyway the SNR of this (or the SONY) certainly won't match the EOS M.

Upvote 0