Official DXOMark Sensor Score for the EOS-1D X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to down Nikon or Sony. They make great sensors! I also like Nikon's EC during auto ISO in full manual mode. But overall, the sensor is only a fraction of the camera. Why then, can I shoot at much higher ISO's and print 8 x 10's with minimal NR, at ISO 25,600 with the 1DX and I cannot do that with a D4? Why? That is all I'd like to know. In this regard, the DxO score means nothing to me at all and I go with whatever works in the field, which in this case the ONLY choice I have to do so is the 1DX. If the D4 and D800 sensors are better, who the hell cares if they don't produce shots and I have to pack up and go home in the 4th quarter?

Upvote 0
gene_can_sing said:
I'm sure the people at Nikonrumors are saying DXO is the greatest and most accurate tests ever.

If the tables were turned and the 1DX was the camera scoring a 95 instead of the D800, people at Canonrumors would revere DXO.

No one likes to be on the losing end, and if anything, this should be a wake up to Canon to step their game up since Sony sensors are kicking their Butt, on both the stills and the video end. Since I'm more on the video end, not sure if you guys heard about the new Sony F5, close in price to the Canon C300, but about 5x the camera. The C300 is not even remotely in the same league.

The story line has been repeating over and over this year, Canon needs to step up on all fronts. Fortunately, they can ride on their name for a while, but soon, people will expect results.
According to the reality shows I'm watching from time to time (not that I'm a big fun of those, just spending time with my wife) the group of people who is on the losing end wins in the end. So it's time to focus on how we shoot instead of speculating on all other stuff not even remotely related to the current moment of time. Let's see what next year brings to us :)

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

Sorry to get such a rise out of you guys. ;)

It's strange to me how different stills people are vs. video people. Many video people are company agnostic for the most part. They tend to just go with what is the best camera out (probably because many use manual lenses so the investment in one company isn't quite as heavy). Stills people are ardent defenders of the faith. You are either Canon or Nikon, and you guys will defend your company to death. Saying something bad about Canon (or Nikon on the "other" site) is like insulting your mother, or probably worse.

Upvote 0
M

MarkWebbPhoto

Forget the scores.

I shot all of these college football photos at ISO 8,000, f/2.8, 1/1,250 sec on my 1DX.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/galleries/musports/x746103246/Gallery-Marshall-vs-UCF-game-action

High school stadiums are usually much worse. The night shots in this gallery were at ISO 16,000, 1/640-1/800 sec, f/2.8.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/galleries/sports/x1363969376/Gallery-Class-AAA-Region-IV-soccer-championships-at-Cabell-Midland

Sorry about the compression but our website is a little behind the times. Anyway I love the 1DX and everything it does. I don't touch the 1D MK IV anymore but still keep my 5D MK II for wide angles below ISO 3,200.

Upvote 0
MarkWebbPhoto said:
Forget the scores.

I shot all of these college football photos at ISO 8,000, f/2.8, 1/1,250 sec on my 1DX.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/galleries/musports/x746103246/Gallery-Marshall-vs-UCF-game-action

High school stadiums are usually much worse. The night shots in this gallery were at ISO 16,000, 1/640-1/800 sec, f/2.8.
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/multimedia/galleries/sports/x1363969376/Gallery-Class-AAA-Region-IV-soccer-championships-at-Cabell-Midland

Sorry about the compression but our website is a little behind the times. Anyway I love the 1DX and everything it does. I don't touch the 1D MK IV anymore but still keep my 5D MK II for wide angles below ISO 3,200.

Lol, how can we forget the scores when that seems to be the only thing that matters? Nice shots, what lens were you using?

Upvote 0
Freelancer said:
at 500 px even my old casio looks good. ;)

it´s not that it´s not good enough.. it´s normal to want the BEST for your money.

so you see what you pay and you see the DXO score.... and then you look at nikon.

of course the DXO score does not tell you about the whole camera... just the sensor.

You're preachin to the choir here... but some people don't want to listen.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to down Nikon or Sony. They make great sensors! I also like Nikon's EC during auto ISO in full manual mode. But overall, the sensor is only a fraction of the camera. Why then, can I shoot at much higher ISO's and print 8 x 10's with minimal NR, at ISO 25,600 with the 1DX and I cannot do that with a D4? Why? That is all I'd like to know. In this regard, the DxO score means nothing to me at all and I go with whatever works in the field, which in this case the ONLY choice I have to do so is the 1DX. If the D4 and D800 sensors are better, who the hell cares if they don't produce shots and I have to pack up and go home in the 4th quarter?

BUT BUT, here I thought you could underexpose those shots with Nikon at lower ISO and push them back up in the post! ;)

Sorry, could not resist this time - no offence meant to Nikon people with this - both Japanese camera companies are good.

Bottom line being that different photography areas require different kind of things from the sensor.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
gene_can_sing said:
Sorry to get such a rise out of you guys. ;)

It's strange to me how different stills people are vs. video people. Many video people are company agnostic for the most part. They tend to just go with what is the best camera out (probably because many use manual lenses so the investment in one company isn't quite as heavy). Stills people are ardent defenders of the faith. You are either Canon or Nikon, and you guys will defend your company to death. Saying something bad about Canon (or Nikon on the "other" site) is like insulting your mother, or probably worse.
Video people may be new to DSLRs. They used to use other king of equipment totally different form DSLRs. Stills people are more probably coming from the analog era or early digital so they had much time to get acquainted with their equipment and learned to appreciate its capabilities. Other than that I cannot think of any other reason...

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
neuroanatomist said:
For anyone wondering why they waited nearly a month after adding 1D X sensor support to DxO Optical Pro to release the 1D X scores, I'd guess it's because they knew there'd be a bit of buzz around these results, and they wanted to drive traffic to their sites now that DxO Optics Pro 8 has just been released.

jaayres20 said:
How can they rate the D800 better at high ISO noise?

Because the Sports/Low Light Score is based on images downsampled to 8 MP, and when you downsample a 36 MP image to 8 MP, you average out more noise than when you downsample an 18 MP image to 8 MP.

And thus the problem with using downsampled images as the sole source of DXO scores. BOTH downsampled and native results need to be factored into DXO's results so things don't get so skewed.

Upvote 0
Razor2012 said:
So would you want a camera that has better DR, or one that has better AF, ISO & FPS?

If you had a camera that had the DR of the human eye but only shot one frame every 10 minutes at ISO 100 only and was only manual focus... I would put a second mortgage on my house to buy it. This is doubly true if it came in at 30-40Mp and also had incredible color reproduction.

BUT... that's just me... as a landscape photographer. I certainly wouldn't get on a forum and suggest that everyone in the world would want a camera like that...

Many people have many different needs in photography. Study the DXO measurements and take them for what they are: measurements. Taken together with many other reviews and tests they can help people make decisions _for themselves_ about what cameras best suit their needs....

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Neutral said:
han_solo82 said:
Well that's exactly the problem my friend, their score system isn't about the whole picture of the sensor, but that's what gets advertised. But hey, they say it themselves : "DxOMark is the trusted industry standard for camera and lens independent image quality measurements and ratings". So we should trust their ratings!

You call yourself a lab, then give me QE vs wavelength as standard, read noise and Full capacity well at different ISO, and SNR at different illumination and ISO and stop advertising camera's sensor with a meaningless score... Well maybe that's just me and my physics anyway...
Please no familiarities here – this is at least impolite not to say more)))
As for DXO – we are not discussing what they are claiming themselves – just results of their measurements.
And forget about SCORES - when you see at measurement curves you need to “FEEL” sensor performance across different conditions the same way as you “feel” image histogram in the camera or image processing S/W.
Do you give this histogram any scores to better work with the image?
If you are telling that you studying physics – think of Fourier or Laplace transforms that give you information about physical process in other domains/dimensions which helps better understand the properties of the process and work with it.
And I do not see any point discussing this further

The word 'friend' is impolite? Huh?!?!

Upvote 0
friedmud said:
If you had a camera that had the DR of the human eye but only shot one frame every 10 minutes at ISO 100 only and was only manual focus...
I've read in a book of a Russian author (not sure if it was translated to English) that human eye has 5-6 stops of DR. And the reason we can see much bigger range of lightness levels is the ability of our eyes to adapt to the rapidly changing environment.

The book's author was a researcher in photography so this statement might be true. Did anyone hear anything like that?

Upvote 0
gene_can_sing said:
I'm sure the people at Nikonrumors are saying DXO is the greatest and most accurate tests ever.

Interestingly, over at Nikonrumors, DxO and their test results are almost never mentioned. Neither is Canon.
They're too busy discussing using their cameras and photography... lens recommendations, best body for specific purposes and the like.

None of the desperate fighting seen here.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.