One way to win customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor2012 said:
bdunbar79 said:
What, the 70-200L II IS lens/5D Mark III or the 300 f/2.8L IS/5D Mark III? 8)

The 70-200 2.8II. Unfortunately I can't comment on the 300 2.8L. Maybe someday. ;)
I'm sure the 300 f/2.8 and MkIII are an awesome combination too, just not travelling to Uganda with weight restrictions :p. I struck lucky, getting a mint one that had only been used twice. They now sell used (at least from retailers) for £1000 more than I paid. Even sold privately on eBay, they are at least £500 more than I paid.

Upvote 0
Kernuak said:
Razor2012 said:
bdunbar79 said:

The 70-200 2.8II. Unfortunately I can't comment on the 300 2.8L. Maybe someday. ;)
I'm sure the 300 f/2.8 and MkIII are an awesome combination too, just not travelling to Uganda with weight restrictions :p. I struck lucky, getting a mint one that had only been used twice. They now sell used (at least from retailers) for £1000 more than I paid. Even sold privately on eBay, they are at least £500 more than I paid.

I will ONLY travel to football games with the 300 f/2.8 already pre-mounted to a monopod and no farther from my car to the stands. :)

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Kernuak said:
Razor2012 said:
bdunbar79 said:

I will ONLY travel to football games with the 300 f/2.8 already pre-mounted to a monopod and no farther from my car to the stands. :)

Do you have the I or II?

Upvote 0
Razor2012 said:
bdunbar79 said:
There are a ton of versions, so I'll type the whole title to the version I have:

300mm f/2.8L IS I

The II is probably much lighter.

I know the 400II is lighter than the I. Awesome lens.
The 300 MkII is lighter also. I also have the 300 f/2.8 L IS USM original and it gets quite heavy after walking around with it in a rucksack for an hour or two, along with two bodies and a few other lenses. I think I'm carrying around 30kg at times.

Upvote 0
Razor2012 said:
The IQ from the 300 ver I is outstanding from what I have seen, I'm not sure if ver II improves much in that department.

From what I've seen and Bryan Carnathan's website, no the Version II does not offer an enchanced IQ; the selling point was updated IS motor and less weight. Here's what I did. I saw the price of the new one, $7299 at B&H. I then found a version I that was actually in great shape, including the lens mount and the glass was clean, and bought that for $4500. I don't mind the weight since I'm at a fixed sporting event site when using it. So I was able to save $2800 and am getting the exact same IQ.

For the 400 I did the exact same thing. Found a fantastic version I copy for $5999 vs. the newest price around $10,900 or some even for $11,400. Again, same IQ, more weight, $5k cheaper.

Since I saved $7800, that I'd say was a great deal. Not that spending that kind of money is a great deal, I'd just say relatively speaking $9500 is cheaper than $20,000.

Will I ever spend that much at once on lenses again? NO.

Upvote 0
bdunbar79 said:
Razor2012 said:
The IQ from the 300 ver I is outstanding from what I have seen, I'm not sure if ver II improves much in that department.

From what I've seen and Bryan Carnathan's website, no the Version II does not offer an enchanced IQ; the selling point was updated IS motor and less weight. Here's what I did. I saw the price of the new one, $7299 at B&H. I then found a version I that was actually in great shape, including the lens mount and the glass was clean, and bought that for $4500. I don't mind the weight since I'm at a fixed sporting event site when using it. So I was able to save $2800 and am getting the exact same IQ.

For the 400 I did the exact same thing. Found a fantastic version I copy for $5999 vs. the newest price around $10,900 or some even for $11,400. Again, same IQ, more weight, $5k cheaper.

Since I saved $7800, that I'd say was a great deal. Not that spending that kind of money is a great deal, I'd just say relatively speaking $9500 is cheaper than $20,000.

Will I ever spend that much at once on lenses again? NO.

That's great, you saved alot of money there and have a couple of awesome lenses.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.