Operating conditions of SIGMA’s lenses for Canon EF mount with the Canon EOS R5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
From SIGMA:
We would like to share the results of our investigation regarding the operation of SIGMA’s lenses for Canon EF mount when used on the Canon EOS R5.
We have verified the operation with our SIGMA GLOBAL VISION (SGV) interchangeable lenses (Contemporary, Art, and Sports lines) for Canon EF mounts used on the“Canon EOS R5” with Canon’s mount adapter “EF-EOS R Series”, and confirmed that there were no problems with general operations such as AE, AF, and image stabilization.

Please note the following points when using our products.

For SGV interchangeable lenses released before 2017*, it is necessary that the lens firmware is updated to Ver.2.00 or later. * The release year can be confirmed by the edition number (A017, C015, etc.) engraved on the lens barrel.Please refer to the following page for details of the lens firmware...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
35/1.4 Art: With the newest firmware, the lens works like a charm except in extreme high ISO operation where there are concentric circles barely visible throughout the frame. Not a big deal IMO.
8-16/4.5-5.6 (Crop): Serious IBIS problems, the R5 amplifies any shake. It seems to do the opposite of what it should do. In crop mode with IBIS disabled it does work fine though.

Upvote 0
Anyone put either of the 105 or 135 primes through the ringer with the R5 or R6? If yes, success with H+ shooting?
I'd be surprised if any third party lens delivered 12fps on the R5 at all. It seems to have a fixed list of supported Canon lenses built in which it uses to decide whether to even try.
Can anyone comment on/ refute that?

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Exactly what I was about to say. I love my RF Canon L lenses but Sigma needs to come out with some competitive RF glass!
agree, but tamron and sigma have to reverse engineer the behaviour, I don't believe Canon shares how all the pins work... RF introduced many more pins they probably have to adjust for.. and flange distance changes etc. Not a simple, probably not cost effective. Previously they could share same body and swap the mounts from what I understand.

Upvote 0
agree, but tamron and sigma have to reverse engineer the behaviour, I don't believe Canon shares how all the pins work... RF introduced many more pins they probably have to adjust for.. and flange distance changes etc. Not a simple, probably not cost effective. Previously they could share same body and swap the mounts from what I understand.

Samyang/Rokinon already have a few primes out for the mount and I know at least one of them has AF. I'd be surprised if Sigma didn't announce something by the end of next year.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
the 35. 1.4 ART had some issues with screws which can be fixed on your own (I keep forgetting to buy the glue so have to do it from time to time) but my 20mm 1.4 and may 150-600C have no issues quality wise
Read the current page on Digiloyd. Some people buying the 35 1.4 had to get 10 before they got one good one. Camera Rental has said that Canon is the least variable, with excellent quality control and Sigma is the most variable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA

I think it has to be cost effective, when you're business is selling lenses for other people's cameras!

I think its just taking time. To get full use of the RF system they have to reverse engineer a lot and it will take time. The cheaper manufacturers like Samyang can skip a lot of that, go MF or otherwise be more rudimentary at their price point, but Sigma is trying to be a viable alternative to manufacturer glass (Canon,Sony, etc). So they probably decided to take the time to get it worked out and release stuff only when they have a true native package.

They can certainly still share optical formulas between platforms, with body/mount changes in order to get them to work with the varying communication protocols and flange distances.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks for the heads up! My 150-600mm C was packed up along with its TC and the Sigma Dock to be sent off tomorrow for sale as the AF was too slow on the R5. I upgraded the firmware and preliminary observations are that it has been radically speeded up. Further tests tomorrow. Whatever the complaints about Sigma, their introduction of the Sigma Dock and their subsequent willingness to provide firmware updates are highly commendable.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

RickD

EOS R6
Aug 27, 2016
Thanks for the heads up! My 150-600mm C was packed up along with its TC and the Sigma Dock to be sent off tomorrow for sale as the AF was too slow on the R5. I upgraded the firmware and preliminary observations are that it has been radically speeded up. Further tests tomorrow. Whatever the complaints about Sigma, their introduction of the Sigma Dock and their subsequent willingness to provide firmware updates are highly commendable.

I love this lens. I rented one last year for a road trip and had a lot of fun with it once I got used to the size and weight. 960mm on a crop body

Hoping sigma come out with something like this in RF

Upvote 0
My understanding is that Sigma is focusing on the L mount and because the E mount data is made available from Sony they are releasing them too. They will not be working on the RF mount since they would have to reverse engineer the lens for RF.
I think most people would prefer them to release the DN Art lenses in RF mount and not the EF Art with basically fixed adapters attached. The optics, AF and size of the DN Art lenses is much better than the EF Art lenses,

Upvote 0