Opinion: Canon’s mounting woes

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
The main reason for me for not getting an R was because it like the Z7 didn’t have the AF that Sony had shown was possible. @neuroanatomist had reported that he was finding BIF difficult with the R. The R5 was the great breakthrough by Canon, breaking the AF barrier.
and don't forget the electronic view finder.. on the R it was.. cringy... but the R5 is superb.. It really showed what is possible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Nope.

Which car manufacturers are the OEM for the tires on their cars? That’s not the case for any car I’ve ever owned. Honda uses Bridgestone a lot, Tesla uses Michelin, Subaru uses Continental. At least in the US. Probably different elsewhere.

By that analogy, Canon wouldn’t make any lenses at all, would put Sigma lenses in some of their kits and Tamron lenses in others.
yeah I realized soon after posting they're not manufactured by the automaker.. maybe roof racks.. ah doesn't matter :) car analogies aren't always going to fit the situation

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
very soon after the original R came out, I bought it . Since it proved to be a great camera through my work, a year later I bought another one.
I should say: me too. I bought an R in the first 'discount cycle' (in Australia anyway) a few months after it was released. Fantastic camera (for my needs anyway), and no significant complaints at all. Going strong, although I'll probably be in the market to update in the next year. I even quickly came to terms with the multi-function bar (I use it for 5x and 10x zoom). Happily adapted my EF lenses, and bought a few mid-price RF mount lenses (including a non-electric coupled 3rd party lens) since then. Definitely not hating on the R ...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Much to do about nothing. You can use any EF mount third party lens with an adapter. Or you can use Canon EF glass that is more affordable than the RF lens. Outrage gets clicks on line. Scott Kelby who has written more books on digital photography than anyone else uses a Tamron 150-600mm on a Canon R6 mkII. He is also an award winner photographer. He could use any lens he wants, but uses an adapted third party lens.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Much to do about nothing. You can use any EF mount third party lens with an adapter. Or you can use Canon EF glass that is more affordable than the RF lens. Outrage gets clicks on line. Scott Kelby who has written more books on digital photography than anyone else uses a Tamron 150-600mm on a Canon R6 mkII. He is also an award winner photographer. He could use any lens he wants, but uses an adapted third party lens.
“But I want native lenses!” *stomps foot petulantly*

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
For the past couple of years, the RP + 24-105 kit has frequently been in the top 10 best-selling ILCs in Japan (and often it's the only FF camera there). It was #8 in August and #10 last month. That suggests that the RP is probably still selling pretty well (no doubt the price drop helped).
Although the R8 is out and better than the RP, it is still 50% above the RP price at USD1500. No brainer to get the RP as a second ff body.
Much has been made about the release price of USD1300 vs the R8 release price but 9 months later the RP dropped to USD1k and has been there or lower for almost 3 years now. I can't imagine that the R8 will follow that trajectory.

Another single purchase but Canon maintains a significant price lead where the cheapest Sony ff is A7ii @ USD1400 and Z5 for USD1300 (on special).
... and we all know that ff is "better" than APS-C from this thread :cool:
page #26 now
Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 3.25.09 pm.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Insane? Sure!
Insanely rich.
These tyres are, according to Michelin, good for 2000 km maximum (that's a lot, without irony...)
Insane environmental vandalism - all those rubber-plastic particles polluting lungs and food chain as well as the fuel consumption etc.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I've got a better car analogy: Canon = Toyota, Sony = Lada :devilish:
Hey, my Toyota dealer treats me far better than Canon. My Prius warranty gets extended to 10 years for being a loyal customer but Canon boots me out of CPS. These car analogies just don't work!

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Insane environmental vandalism - all those rubber-plastic particles polluting lungs and food chain as well as the fuel consumption etc.
Fortunately, there are not many on the road.
Cars are often a revelator of human stupidity...
Unlike cameras, so, no car-camera analogy here...;)

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
and don't forget the electronic view finder.. on the R it was.. cringy... but the R5 is superb.. It really showed what is possible.
The R's EVF, lack of IBIS and electronic level are my main points of criticism. And the reason why I'm waiting impatiently for a successor, R3 or R5 II.
Otherwise, a very good camera at a very good price and high reliability. It sure doesn't deserve the way it got treated by the Youtube Sony groupies.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Although the R8 is out and better than the RP, it is still 50% above the RP price at USD1500. No brainer to get the RP as a second ff body.
Much has been made about the release price of USD1300 vs the R8 release price but 9 months later the RP dropped to USD1k and has been there or lower for almost 3 years now. I can't imagine that the R8 will follow that trajectory.

Another single purchase but Canon maintains a significant price lead where the cheapest Sony ff is A7ii @ USD1400 and Z5 for USD1300 (on special).
... and we all know that ff is "better" than APS-C from this thread :cool:
page #26 now
View attachment 212087

The RP is around $600/£600 used, a real bargain if you don't care about 4K video.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Hey, my Toyota dealer treats me far better than Canon. My Prius warranty gets extended to 10 years for being a loyal customer but Canon boots me out of CPS. These car analogies just don't work!

Yeah, that's bad but maybe it's a numbers game. Toyota is huge and sells millions of cars yearly. Probably can afford more freebies like extra warranty, etc.

Upvote 0
The RP is around $600/£600 used, a real bargain if you don't care about 4K video.
Agreed; I paid 612€ shipped for an ex demo camera from a German shop, less then 3000 actuations, invoiced with 36 months warranty from the shop. Real bargain, and perfect as a backup body. Never used for video as today, but I know its 4k is not on pair with competitors, and the DPAF doesn't work in 4k.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
The R's EVF, lack of IBIS and electronic level are my main points of criticism. And the reason why I'm waiting impatiently for a successor, R3 or R5 II.
Otherwise, a very good camera at a very good price and high reliability. It sure doesn't deserve the way it got treated by the Youtube Sony groupies.
sadly there is a reason it is at that price point.. the features listed cost as it is not just software, but hardware too. I wouldn't expect that feature set at the price point of the R. .well not for a while at least, maybe if they get the costs down.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
sadly there is a reason it is at that price point.. the features listed cost as it is not just software, but hardware too. I wouldn't expect that feature set at the price point of the R. .well not for a while at least, maybe if they get the costs down.
Well, the R wasn't inexpensive when it came out, Euro 3000+, at least in Europe. The most disturbing feature, at least for me as a frequent TSE user, was that ugly intrusive e-level. I'm convinced it could have been designed in a much more discrete way, without any cost incidence. Yet, I still like the R, it never let me down. This is for me THE important feature, with picture quality, of course.

Upvote 0