Opinion: What is a Rumors Site?

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
You have done a really good job creating and running canonrumors.com. I joined after reading many posts in the forum. I was reading a post where I thought I had some insight to the posters delema. I have been the last response in a few posted subjects, it has been mentioned that my comments were troll like. Most of my opinions have been proven to be correct. I have been off track a few times. Oops! Being a good photographer is being willing to teach and learn from others. I come here first thing when I get up and just before I go to bed. If Canon releases something new it will be posted here in short order. I will keep coming here until Canon Freezes Over! ;D

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hello Craig!

Short reply:
You and your admins do a great job here, so please just keep going on.

Long reply:

Canon Rumors said:
I started this site 9 years ago... It was never meant to be more than a fun place for me to write about current and coming camera gear, I never imagined it would explode to the level of popularity that it has.
This is a great site, a fun place to go and I come here at least twice a week.
It is also a really, really great forum and group of participants to gather an share knowledge and I've learned really a lot from all of you.

... What we do control:
Every post on the site is my responsibility and when it’s wrong, I’m wrong, and that bugs me.
This latest firmware update post we didn’t put [CR1] on it, as we should have. The post says “new source”, but it was our oversight that we didn’t rate it for whatever reason.
Everybody makes mistakes and I wouldn't call this a mistake but a slight neglect.
I am not into video but I also read this post and to me it was clear that this should have a rating of [CR1].
Everybody else claiming something else or accusing you for telling lies should be more self-critical and thinking about where and when he/she lives:
In a time where EVERY information - esp. from the internet - should or must be taken with a really big grain of salt.

Thanks for reading my rant and visiting Canon Rumors. In the end we do this for fun and we hope you read it for fun.
This is no rant but you're making your position clear and the place where you see this page and forum:
A place for fun and for the (positive) passion for photography and videography.

So please keep going on.

Upvote 0
Nothing wrong with posting CR1 stuff, it sets the expectations and it's just a bit of fun. Anyone who's been on this site would have taken that firmware rumor with a pinch of salt so don't worry about it. So what? We had some high hopes, we're Canon fans we're used to our hopes being dashed :p

But seriously I love CR site, the discussions on the forum are really helpful and for the most part very civilized. You've done us Canon fans a great service by bringing us all together here to talk about our hobbies and obsessions!

Keep up the awesome work!

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've really enjoyed the site over the last number of years. I've had some great answers to questions and enjoyed the anticipation of technological improvements to come. My only wish is that some of the more high volume posters were a little kinder to each other when opinions differ. All of them offer good insights and are helpful to people but can be quite scathing to each other. I know it's part of the entertainment value at times but sometimes it steps over the line and gets a little personal. No one is always right and opinions on rumours can differ.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378875

I love your site. Really love it. I can honestly say I visit it several times a day and the only other sites I visit regularly are redmondmag and BBC news.

I never cease to be amazed at how technical some of the contributions to the forum debates about - and most of these forum discussions are generally precipitated by your latest items.

I have learned a huge amount amount camera hardware and lenses through your site.

Please don't feel too bad about the odd piece of incorrect speculation ... on the whole your site gives a great picture of both what's going on in the Canon world and also how that relates to the other big players in the market.

I've invested heavily in Canon equipment over the last 12 months, all based on your site and Tony Nothrup's videos.

For what its worth, the view I have come to is that whilst Canon are clearly facing huge competition right now I really believe its only a matter of time until we all get blazing 4k video to match their awesome stills capabilities.

Upvote 0
dear Canon Rumors (yes, really 'dear').

To me this site is the preferred source of information on all things Canon- and Camera-related.
What I have learned from following the site through several years I really appreciate.

Even the well-informed discussions about whether or not to trust certain rumors contain a lot of good insight to learn from. For example we often hear reasoning along the lines of: '.... this rumor is not realistic because of this or that physical, technical, business-related good reasons'. Very skilled, very well-articulated and very good to learn from.

In addition the discussions are often entertaining.
Also I like to follow the many examples of superb photography output and the following comments.

I am fully aware that being appropriately sceptical towards any web-information including rumors is solely my own responsibility.

Keep it coming - I look forward to solid guidance from Canon Rumors on good Canon-/Photography-tools to come.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would echo others. This is the only site I regularly visit and participate in the forums.

There will always be a certain percentage of people who don't understand the meaning of rumors. In fact, it's rather entertaining to read comments from people who actually get angry because they have read a rumor as fact and when it doesn't materialize they feel they been denied something they never had in the first place.

All that said though, I wonder where Canon Rumors can go from here.

I think there is a genuine need for real reporting on the camera industry and I'd like to see the next step to be hiring some reporters to do actual stories with interviews, data research, etc. In other words to start adding "Canon News/Facts" to the mix. In recent years, you've added a few reviewers, but frankly, there are plenty of review sites. No one seems to be covering the industry in a serious way (and I don't mean softball interviews with company executives, where the interviewers fawn over their subjects and never ask any difficult questions -- there are plenty of those).

Assuming Canon Rumors wants to grow, that seems to me to be a logical and much-needed direction to take.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi unfocused.
Much as I support your call for serious coverage of the industry, I think (though I am not 'in the know') you will find that much as the 'softball' interviewers would like to ask some tougher questions they often (always?) cannot due to their interview questions being screened for compatibility with a company's strategy, stray off the fanboy course too far and there is no coming back!

Cheers, Graham.

unfocused said:
No one seems to be covering the industry in a serious way (and I don't mean softball interviews with company executives, where the interviewers fawn over their subjects and never ask any difficult questions -- there are plenty of those).

Assuming Canon Rumors wants to grow, that seems to me to be a logical and much-needed direction to take.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Valvebounce said:
Hi unfocused.
Much as I support your call for serious coverage of the industry, I think (though I am not 'in the know') you will find that much as the 'softball' interviewers would like to ask some tougher questions they often (always?) cannot due to their interview questions being screened for compatibility with a company's strategy, stray off the fanboy course too far and there is no coming back!

Cheers, Graham.

unfocused said:
No one seems to be covering the industry in a serious way (and I don't mean softball interviews with company executives, where the interviewers fawn over their subjects and never ask any difficult questions -- there are plenty of those).

Yes. If a company thinks they can dictate the terms of the coverage they will. But, journalists only have themselves to blame if they accept those terms. In the case of what often passes for business journalism, far too many accept the conditions and are content to serve as unpaid publicists. That doesn't mean ethical journalists should stop trying.

Upvote 0