Our favourite hands-on preview of the Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have watched a ton of hands-on previews for both the Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II, and instead of posting them all, I’ll just post my favourite one and as it happens a lot recently, Jared Polin (FroKnowsPhoto) does a great one and I agree with a lot of what he says about both cameras.
The Canon EOS M6 Mark II is quite a compelling package, while the Canon EOS 90D seems to only have advantages in buffer performance and ergonomics.
Jared also provides RAW files that you can open in Lightroom for the Canon EOS 90D and Canon EOS M6 Mark II here.
Preorder the Canon EOS 90D and the Canon EOS M6 Mark II:

Canon EOS 90D Body $1199
Canon EOS 90D w/18-55mm IS STM $1349
Canon EOS 90D w/18-135mm IS STM $1599
Canon EOS M6 Mark II Body $849...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 users

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
All I learned from this video was that mirorless cameras are perfect and no one could ever capture a good picture using a DSLR. Also apparently live view is useless but mirrorless are awesome!

Anyone have any reviews from someone who knows how to use a DSLR?
:LOL: I agree!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All I learned from this video was that mirorless cameras are perfect and no one could ever capture a good picture using a DSLR. Also apparently live view is useless but mirrorless are awesome!

It's really a matter of perspective. If you are a chimper on a DSLR you will probably love mirrorless as you can check focus, light, etc all in realtime. Same thing if you want tracking to take over so you can recompose a moving subject. Jared has always been about bleeding edge tech, this video is no different.

I came away very very impressed with the m6 and am rethinking the 90d as an upgrade. The tracking would fit my bill for sports shooting BMX races. However like many i'm worried about ergonomics. I probably would consider the m5 if they dont release a 90d rmount equivalent soon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

This is not only his opinion, if you read the some comments here, or some reviews in the Web, DSLR‘s are garbage, so everybody must buy a mirrorless camera:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
This is not only his opinion, if you read the some comments here, or some reviews in the Web, DSLR‘s are garbage, so everybody must buy a mirrorless camera:rolleyes:
Some people embrace change because they like new features, some people like the new features because they have a hard tme with knowing when to swap settings based on the direction you turned at a busy chaotic event and want that instant feedback.

Others are more comfortable and know what might be off they can fix in post, and instinctively know and have the skill to maximize the capabilities of the camera without relying on instant feedback. There's 20 years of great photographic proof that dslrs can take great pictures. However mirrorless does have much more potential as equipment and software improves.

Upvote 0
I thought he had a pretty fair take, all things considered.

In all honesty, I think these cameras will be more competitive than expected. As I look at comparable cameras in the same price range, these appear to be in the right ball park: a few features missing from competitors, but a few features the competitors don't have. It will without a doubt come down to personal need/preference for anyone using these.

Again, I find myself drawn to the M6ii - if you want a really small travel camera without compromising resolution or shooting speed, that looks to be the one. My only question is whether or not the M lenses can get the most out of that sensor resolution. Could be a great travel/secondary backup camera.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I thought he had a pretty fair take, all things considered.

In all honesty, I think these cameras will be more competitive than expected. As I look at comparable cameras in the same price range, these appear to be in the right ball park: a few features missing from competitors, but a few features the competitors don't have. It will without a doubt come down to personal need/preference for anyone using these.

Again, I find myself drawn to the M6ii - if you want a really small travel camera without compromising resolution or shooting speed, that looks to be the one. My only question is whether or not the M lenses can get the most out of that sensor resolution. Could be a great travel/secondary backup camera.
Sigma recently announced their DN lenses will be made available for Ef-M mount and if that happens then atleast there are 3 additonal good primes along with the ones that Canon is offering to users.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

OneSnark

Canon Fanboy
Aug 20, 2019

I concur with what most have said in this thread.

I won’t be able to view the video until later today but I have a quick question:

I am essentially of the view that 90D live view operation and the M6 mirrorless normal operation (and capability) are virtually identical? Is this correct?

I can’t read past the inherent biases in the various reviews to date to suss this out for myself.

As for buying one - > boils down to lens selection. The M6 is smaller — > but not small enough to avoid carrying a bag for the “kit”.

Upvote 0
As a 1dx mk2 sports shooter...the ability to track subjects using the full sensor area makes me drool a bit. That coupled with the same fps as my 1dx...as I mentioned before, I don't think it has great weather sealing if any?? I need this in the environments I shoot in...so still waiting for the dedicated sports mirrorless Canon *dreaming

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

It's his style, he was a DSLR shooter for many years, he shot film cameras before digital was a thing, and until comparatively recently (Nikon Z, Canon R, Sony MkIII's) he was very dismissive of EVF's, he has always been totally dismissive of no viewfinder (Live View) shooting too. His opinion now is that the EVF's far out perform the OVF's so there is a very heavy bias in his opinions. For those that are familiar with him there is no need to watch the video, it is Jared Polin being Jared Polin, his case use is dumping M glass and using a 400 f2.8, now that is a typical purchaser scenario....

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Photo Hack

Hi there
Apr 8, 2019
It's his style, he was a DSLR shooter for many years, he shot film cameras before digital was a thing, and until comparatively recently (Nikon Z, Canon R, Sony MkIII's) he was very dismissive of EVF's, he has always been totally dismissive of no viewfinder (Live View) shooting too. His opinion now is that the EVF's far out perform the OVF's so there is a very heavy bias in his opinions. For those that are familiar with him there is no need to watch the video, it is Jared Polin being Jared Polin, his case use is dumping M glass and using a 400 f2.8, now that is a typical purchaser scenario....
Glad someone said it. You’re spot on for those who haven’t followed Jared over the years.

Upvote 0
Take the splinter out of your eye my brother. He's made his bread shooting DSLRs. You may not respect his opinion on OVFs but he deserves respect from his career.
Also note that he is FAR from alone on this point. Maybe you may not like the trend - to each their own - but mirrorless nd EVF advantages keep growing. OVFs and DSLRs have had their time. Everything does.

Upvote 0