Our favourite hands-on preview of the Canon EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
However, if the world continues to be fixated on cars burning up tyres, as in his video, then maybe the subjects I like will become too rare to photo anyway.

On that note, organizing the pre-launch press event in a city fairly notorious of its sprawl and unsustainable development, in sweltering heat with racecars burning tyres in addition to gasoline, really seems a bit tonedeaf on Canon US’s part in the current zeitgeist. Surely there are more sustainable ways to promote an action-oriented camera? But I guess it appeals to a plurality of Americans.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
On that note, organizing the pre-launch press event in a city fairly notorious of its sprawl and unsustainable development, in sweltering heat with racecars burning tyres in addition to gasoline, really seems a bit tonedeaf on Canon US’s part in the current zeitgeist. Surely there are more sustainable ways to promote an action-oriented camera? But I guess it appeals to a plurality of Americans.
I don't want offend the motor action photographers who photograph popular sports, it's the deliberate burning up of tyres, the products of which also from normal driving produce much urban pollution, that I find grating

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
when i see him holding the m6 with a bigger lens, i don't see why anyone that consistently uses EF glass would want to put themselves through that...it looks so awkward and terrible...and there aren't really enough M lenses to make it worth it...but yeah, just cause it's mirrorless makes it a better option for him...
What I saw was a Canon organized event, and a whole bunch of people using Big White lenses because Canon was supplying the lenses for the event. Wouldn't you want to give it a try? While it's true that JP said, "We broke out the big whites...," I don't think the lenses belonged to him and his crew.

So, in other words, he was playing along with Canon's public relations team to show the possibilities, not the typical uses. But he made a point: The little camera can drive the AF of a Big White. That's it.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
What I saw was a Canon organized event, and a whole bunch of people using Big White lenses because Canon was supplying the lenses for the event. Wouldn't you want to give it a try? While it's true that JP said, "We broke out the big whites...," I don't think the lenses belonged to him and his crew.

So, in other words, he was playing along with Canon's public relations team to show the possibilities, not the typical uses. But he made a point: The little camera can drive the AF of a Big White. That's it.
If Canon thinks that their target clientele for the M6 II are possible users of big whites, then I am amazed. Have you tried to use even a 100-400mm on an M series? For hand-holding, the ergonomics are excruciating for me, and a VF is essential, not an option..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If Canon thinks that their target clientele for the M6 II are possible users of big whites, then I am amazed. Have you tried to use even a 100-400mm on an M series? For hand-holding, the ergonomics are excruciating for me, and a VF is essential, not an option..
I don't think Canon's target is users of big whites. It was a promotional stunt. As I said, what's possible, not typical, was the intent.

The big-whites segment was brief and very near the end of what seemed to be a thorough comparison.

This really seems to be Canon's idea of being playful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland

Well, the DPR guys used kit lenses, and their photos certainly look the part. I guess they’re representative of what an average user is going to see when pixel-peeping his or her photos!

Anyway, the event was about promoting both the M62 and the 90D, and many 90D owners are definitely target audience to at least some white lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't think Canon's target is users of big whites. It was a promotional stunt. As I said, what's possible, not typical, was the intent.

The big-whites segment was brief and very near the end of what seemed to be a thorough comparison.

This really seems to be Canon's idea of being playful.
If it was a stunt, then it fell flat for that review. As sharlin posted, the 90D will be used with big whites but Jared dislikes DSLRs and OVFs so much all he could do was to plug the M6 II at the expense of the 90D.

Upvote 0
Better reviews are starting to come out now. Some users over at Fred Miranda have done an initial evaluation of the DR of the new sensor.

Looks like it may be a little better than the 80D, but pretty close. For such a large increase in pixels while maintaining the same high DR of the 80D it’s looking promising.

• Love
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If it was a stunt, then it fell flat for that review. As sharlin posted, the 90D will be used with big whites but Jared dislikes DSLRs and OVFs so much all he could do was to plug the M6 II at the expense of the 90D.
I will admit he downplayed the extremely small buffer in the mirrorless.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon have just e-mailed their promotion of the two. JP did not evaluate them according to Canon's intended audiences.
A DSLR BUILT FOR SPEED AND DETAIL​
EOS 90D​
When photographing wildlife there’s only one chance to get the perfect story. Never miss it with 10fps continuous frame rate and a new 32.5-megapixel sensor in a trusted DSLR body.
CATCH THE MOST FLEETING MOMENT​
EOS M6 MARK II​
Shoot spontaneous street photos and record 4K anywhere with this portable mirrorless camera. Capture even the most fleeting moments thanks to 30fps RAW burst, which starts shooting before you do.​

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do like the idea of a burst mode that is already recording images 0.5s before you fully depress the button (Olympus has had this for some time now as has Panasonic). You could focus on a kingfisher on a perch poised to dive, fully press as quickly as your reflexes allow when you see it move and you will have recorded the full action of its diving and maybe resurfacing with a fish, despite the lag of your reflexes.

When Canon puts this in a body that can handle telephoto lenses and do birds in flight as well, I will pre-order!

Upvote 0