Owls from Guatemala

A few beautiful Owls from my recent trip to Guatemala.

Lots more here - http://www.glennbartley.com/naturephotography/articles/Gallery - Guatemala2019.html

Cheers!

Glenn

Fulvous%20Owl%20-%2001.jpg

Fulvous Owl

Mottled%20Owl%20-%2001.jpg

Mottled Owl

Reactions: 1 user

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Graphic Artefacts.
I think it depends on the habit of the owl, using flash on a diurnal owl would seem little different from using flash on any other bird, less fun for a dawn / dusk hunter and possibly darn right rude for a nocturnal owl? These are both nocturnal owls.

Just to lay out my cards, I do use flash sometimes on birds I shoot, they (Tits, Robins, Kestrels and other UK garden birds) do flinch at first, but they will often sit through several shots of flash so I conclude it doesn’t bother them too much as they are free to leave at any time!

Cheers, Graham.

A little heavy on the flash for an Owl IMO. Don't want to come of like a social justice warrior but flashing Owls always strikes me as a bit too far just to get a photo. YMMV.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi Graphic Artefacts.
I think it depends on the habit of the owl, using flash on a diurnal owl would seem little different from using flash on any other bird, less fun for a dawn / dusk hunter and possibly darn right rude for a nocturnal owl? These are both nocturnal owls.

Just to lay out my cards, I do use flash sometimes on birds I shoot, they (Tits, Robins, Kestrels and other UK garden birds) do flinch at first, but they will often sit through several shots of flash so I conclude it doesn’t bother them too much as they are free to leave at any time!

Cheers, Graham.
Flash is very widely used, and there are discussions on whether it is bad for birds or not. Here is a sensible one about owls from Audubon: https://www.audubon.org/news/is-flash-photography-safe-owls
I personally don't use flash although it is probably harmless for occasional shots.

Upvote 0
Those owls have fully dialated pupils and by the flash shadows it appears to have been quite dark. If it was just a bit of HSS fill I wouldn’t have commented. There’s also the issue that it’s an advertisement for a guide to using flash for bird photography so the photos are being used commercially. I’ve shot thousands of owl phots and have never used a flash so I don’t feel there is a need. That’s my opinion. I’m aware others disagree but If you did that in the refuge where I volunteer I’d eject you for harassment.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0