Panasonic Launches New LUMIX S Series Full-frame Mirrorless Cameras LUMIX S1R and LUMIX S1

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Newark, NJ (February 1, 2019) – After the development announcement at Photokina 2018, Panasonic is now proud to introduce the full specifications of its long-awaited first full-frame Digital Single Lens Mirrorless cameras, the LUMIX S1R and S1, with a 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor. The new cameras are based on the L-Mount standard, which boasts a well-balanced, large inner diameter and compact dimensions for a flange focus to realize optimum size and performance as a mirrorless camera system.
Preorder the Panasonic S1 & Panasonic S1R

The LUMIX S Series aims for unprecedented image quality with high resolution, rich gradation and superior color reproduction. A high-speed, high-precision AF system based on advanced control technology over the lens, the sensor, and the new Venus Engine enables the user to capture the target in sharp focus...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Lots of news coming out of Newark, NJ this morning...

All of these pro-level full frame mirrorless cameras (right now) have the same basic problem - they lack the native lenses I need. The Panasonic even more so since adapters are not available. At minimum, give me F2.8 with IS/OS/VC in lens for 15-30/35, 24-70/75, and 70-200/210 (or better).

In body, would love IBIS so I can stop with the gimbal garbage for video. I tripod or support whenever possible, but let's face it - life and work does not always allow tripods.

I'm hopeful to see a release from Canon with real, usable 4K @30fps and/or @60fps (and high frame rate at lower resolutions) without crop in the near future.

I really need 28MP+ for stills and truly would prefer even higher. 5DMk4 image quality is baseline, but even that gets into some grey territory when wanting to print large multi-piece canvas art.

Would prefer high MP bodies with nearly all video features (cap at 30fps vs 60fps if necessary), but vastly different video specs (like Sony) make them completely different models. Let's end the confusion and call them different products/names.

Wait and see...

Upvote 0
Good spec sheet. EVF and stabilization seem to be excellent. Only if it could focus well with its contrast based AF that has been the Achilles heel in Panasonic cameras for video. The extra features (e.g. log recording) still require paid licenses and it seems that shooting video in ALL-I mode is gone, too.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
They do sound like interesting lcamera bodies, I have to admit. I am not interested in video and I am not too worried about whether or not a camera has IBIS, but they look like the ergonomics could be good and they make the EVF sound good (although I remain in the “I prefer OVF” camp at least at this point) :) Bit surprised by weight though. Anyway, will be interesting to hear how they perform in real world shooting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Quite heavy for a mirrorless.
But ergonomics seem to be far better than Sony's small- hands cameras, at least their size suggests so.
And, if $$$ don't matter, those Leica SL lenses...:love::love::love::love::love:
Oh! I almost forgot the 24/105 MACRO!!!!!!!!
They are just Leica certified, ie designed and made (or contracted) by Panasonic and rubber stamped by Leica.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
They are just Leica certified, ie designed and made (or contracted) by Panasonic and rubber stamped by Leica.
Sorry, but you misunderstood me: I meant the Leica lenses for the Leica SL (Summicron, Summilux etc...).
Misery seeking company: I too get only about 25% of CIPA shots with my Leica M 240.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Real life? My usual score is about 25% of CIPA spec shots for all the mirrorless I have ever had.
Seriously? I average around 600 shots in the cold with the R, and that is spread across two weeks. I tried it a lot when I first got it and got loads of reviewing, menu searching, videos and 730 shots. I full expect 750-850 shots in a day in the summer.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Seriously? I average around 600 shots in the cold with the R, and that is spread across two weeks. I tried it a lot when I first got it and got loads of reviewing, menu searching, videos and 730 shots. I full expect 750-850 shots in a day in the summer.
I know I am at the bottom end of the spectrum and others do better. Never tried the EOS R, but I would do badly because of the the drain from IS on my 100-400 being used as a spotting scope between shots. The M5 gives me only 100 or so in normal use, the G3X II, similarly so (both sent back for testing) - I know many do really well with these, but not me, and I don't dispute that some people get a 1000 shots per charge. The SonyRX10IV does give 300-400 shots. I don't do well with the 5DIV either.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
Anyone know why Leica L mount was chosen for the new system rather than M mount? I really don't know much at all about Leica gear, but I'm assuming L mount must be the one offering the best IQ? I ask because the L mount lenses seem to be big and heavy, but I understand the M mount lenses are relatively small and light but still have good IQ, so I'm wondering why they chose the mount which seems to be associated with bigger and heavier lenses.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Anyone know why Leica L mount was chosen for the new system rather than M mount? I really don't know much at all about Leica gear, but I'm assuming L mount must be the one offering the best IQ? I ask because the L mount lenses seem to be big and heavy, but I understand the M mount lenses are relatively small and light but still have good IQ, so I'm wondering why they chose the mount which seems to be associated with bigger and heavier lenses.
M mount is MF only, maybe thats a reason? I’m just guessing ..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but the M mount is Canon's mount for their M series APS-C crop cameras, which has nothing to do with Panasonic and Leica cameras. Panasonic, which was until now making micro 4/3rds cameras, has created a partnership with Leica in making a FF camera, thus they are using the L- mount that Leica already has established for their FF cameras. Lenses for FF cameras are normally wider and heavier as they need to project a wider image circle and are faster (larger apertures) than lower level consumer lenses made for the crop sensor M system. The L mount has no advantage that I know of offer better IQ. In fact, it can be argued that Canon's and Nikon's (new mirrorless) mount, will have the advantage (albeit small) when it comes to designing lenses with high IQ at a reasonable price.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but the M mount is Canon's mount for their M series APS-C crop cameras, which has nothing to do with Panasonic and Leica cameras. Panasonic, which was until now making micro 4/3rds cameras, has created a partnership with Leica in making a FF camera, thus they are using the L- mount that Leica already has established for their FF cameras. Lenses for FF cameras are normally wider and heavier as they need to project a wider image circle and are faster (larger apertures) than lower level consumer lenses made for the crop sensor M system. The L mount has no advantage that I know of offer better IQ. In fact, it can be argued that Canon's and Nikon's (new mirrorless) mount, will have the advantage (albeit small) when it comes to designing lenses with high IQ at a reasonable price.
You misunderstand, Leica has an M mount also, which is used for almost all full frame bodies like the M9 and onwards.

Upvote 0