Patent: Canon Image Sensor Stabilization

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
i expect 3 FF EOS R gen 1 models. one lower (FF "Rebel"), one higher (50+MP) than the one already launched.
I don't know why people think there will be a 'rebel' level FFM coming. The EOS R seems to be pitched 'a bit above' 6D class (I mean, it has a version of the 5Div sensor), so I'd expect the lower spec one to be 'a bit below' 6D class, maybe with a (maybe updated) version of the 6Dii sensor, less video features and build (and maybe a lower level screen). That doesn't mean entry-level in rebel terms.

Upvote 0
That said, if you have a camera you're happy with, I don't think rushing out to buy a mirrorless will magically create shots that couldn't be made before.
I am very happy with my 6dii but bought the R anyway. And I do magically get shots (in focus) with the R in very dark environments that I cannot get with the 6dii.That is with the 85 1.4 is. The autofocus performance difference is day by night. Pun intended.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I am very happy with my 6dii but bought the R anyway. And I do magically get shots (in focus) with the R in very dark environments that I cannot get with the 6dii.That is with the 85 1.4 is. The autofocus performance difference is day by night. Pun intended.

I love my 6DII as well, and I also bought an R :) I enjoy the R, but the 6D2 is still better at dark shots, because as great as the low light AF is on the R, it can't beat a flash illuminator, which gives instant, perfect focus even when it's pitch black. Some of my favorite cat photos are taken with almost no ambient light (not enough for AF, for sure), using strobes, softboxes and eggcrates to get the effect I want, and I use a hotshoe flash illuminator to take care of the AF.

Upvote 0
"We think one of the challenges facing image sensor image stabilization from Canon is making it work with lens image stabilization and improving the overall performance."

There's an easy solution to that: Just shut off IBIS when using a lens that has superior IS. This can be done automatically, for example when using the long telephoto lenses where IBIS is not that capable.

Upvote 0
[...]
I would like to see improved AF (particularly in tracking power: speed and accuracy), faster fps (8 to 10 fps would be ideal) and overall snappier operation. It was not a 'slow' camera, but was not as responsive as my DSLRs. Ok, yes, IBIS would be great too. [...]

The future is bright... the future is exciting! From a photographic perspective, I am very thankful to live in the day and age we do.

PJ

Well spoken! - Me too ...

After upgrading my EOS M to an EOS M50 I have seen what Canon can do: The transformation from a clumsy (operation wise) camera with good IQ to a camera which operates very fluidly and has excellent IQ (in APS-C land).

If I transfer this development to the EOS R system and extrapolate it to a hypothetical EOS R5 and EOS R50 these cameras will be fantastic!

The current EF-M 32 1.4 is cream on the top of the EOS M50 camera and if we will see (in EOS R land) some more RF 1.8 xyz mm IS lenses the RF 1.8 50 IS STM Macro will be a great allround lens which doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
I don't know why people think there will be a 'rebel' level FFM coming. The EOS R seems to be pitched 'a bit above' 6D class (I mean, it has a version of the 5Div sensor), so I'd expect the lower spec one to be 'a bit below' 6D class, maybe with a (maybe updated) version of the 6Dii sensor, less video features and build (and maybe a lower level screen). That doesn't mean entry-level in rebel terms.

an entry level "EOS R6" model with re-used, sub-par 6D II sensor (in 2019!) and lower functionality/performance than EOS R (eg AF tracking) would likely not be called "Rebel" because of FF sensor but would be one in reality. and it would be stupid. :D:p

But imagine, if Canon were to launch a more compact, lower-priced "EOS R50" akin to EOS M50 (which at half the price is better than flagship M5)?

Specs:
* smaller body than EOS R - whatever is possible with same battery (LP-E6N)
* same sensor (=5D4 not 6D2)
* same AF, maybe further improved Eye tracking (also for cats and dogs and hamsters, not only for human subjects :LOL:
* no top OLED display
* no M-fn slider thingie
* proven EOS rear thumb-wheel (like 6D II) + touch AF point selection (like M50, EOS R)
* regular mode dial instead of On/Off dial (like 6D II)
* responsive operation (a bit better than R)
* single SD slot (min. UHS-II, better UHS-III)
* no 4k video (like 6D II :p)

... at half price of EOS R (around USD//€ 1250) :love:

i bet it would be a home run in the market and really help Canon to reach "critical mass" for RF mount quickly and reach #1 position in mirrorfree FF ILCs. bye bye Nikon, bye bye Sony. bye bye 4k videots, just buy a Canon video cam! :D

we shall see whether Canon is stupid or smart. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I love my 6DII as well, and I also bought an R :) I enjoy the R, but the 6D2 is still better at dark shots, because as great as the low light AF is on the R, it can't beat a flash illuminator, which gives instant, perfect focus even when it's pitch black. Some of my favorite cat photos are taken with almost no ambient light (not enough for AF, for sure), using strobes, softboxes and eggcrates to get the effect I want, and I use a hotshoe flash illuminator to take care of the AF.
I have found also that when you use the little red built in illuminator that the focus is almost instant up to 10 meters away. I have not tested it any further.
And silly as it sounds I use the low light focus abilities mostly for "snaps" in and around camp at night, not any serious photography! And it is better if people do not know you are taking snaps hence no illuminator used. Going to try it with my Sigma 14 1.8 next week for astro. Want to see if it will autofocus on the milky way.
I do feel the R is slower in operation than the 6dii generally speaking ? Or is it only because I am not used to it ??? Only played with it on two evenings. Will play with it more this weekend.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Do we have enough feedback on how those IBIS behave with time? I mean, does a floating sensor whistand 10 years+ of normal use?
It seems that the floating elements can be a weak point on some lenses. Am I right?
I know it's totally old fashionned to think about long term usability, but it's how i am...
Of course it may have potential issues, it's a given trade-off.

By the same token, one should not get a mirrorless camera with an OLED viewfinder because the panel will degrade over time.

Upvote 0
Pity the cat. ;)

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Does the IBIS also available in DSLR ? :unsure:
A fair guess is that IBIS will be for R-series only. All new features of that kind will probably be on R-series. My quess is that the EOS DSLR line will still evolve on features like autofocus points, DIGIC processors, and sensors, but we will probably not see any big jumps in evolution nor revolution and ground breaking new features on DSLR. They will be cash cows for some (or many) years to come, rock solid well proven technology as they are. So will the EF lenses.
But the whistle and bells will be on R-series bodies and RS lenses.
But that is - of course - just a guess

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
on a different note: I find it amazing that Canon is still able to get something patented for IBIS. Given the many different patents and actual products from other companies - Olympus, Sony, etc. - I would have thought all of it to fall under "prior art"/ "already invented"/ "already patented"?
Do you guys see anything "very special" in the Canon patent + drawings that might qualify as NEW, UNIQUE, PATENT-worthy? To me it just looks like your "by now standard average-Joe sensor shaker".

Don't get me wrong: personally I would like to get Canon cameras and lenses with dual IS - in body and in lens - with maximum effectiveness. But I am just surprised they are still able to patent something ... to me it is as if somebody in 2018 could still get a patent on a "non-horse-drawn, auto-motive carriage". :)

Upvote 0
Of course it may have potential issues, it's a given trade-off.

By the same token, one should not get a mirrorless camera with an OLED viewfinder because the panel will degrade over time.

OLED displays degenerate but I think a life time of 5000 hrs is standard today meaning its brightness is halved during that period.
But how long is it enabled? 20 seconds per image makes 180 images per hour operation or 180 000 images during 1000 hours of operation resulting in a brightness reduction of nearly 10% - due to the logarithmic sensitivity of the eye not really visible.

For fuel cells in cars I read that a life time of 2000 - 3000 hours is sufficient. My first reaction was "What? Not 10000 hours or so?" - but after doing the (simple) math - 70km/h is the average speed and you have 3000 hours life time - it will take you half way to the moon ( ~ 200 000 km ) and is the "life distance" of most cars.

Upvote 0