Patent: Canon RF 200mm f/2L IS USM and other Big White Lenses

Aug 12, 2010
I wish someone pointed it out to me in my 20s so I wouldnt waste my time and money with a bunch of social justice warriors who are going after "evil corp" "fighting the good fight" when the real culprit of habitat destruction and flora/fauna extinction are their next door neighbors producing demand by having more than 2 kids.

Think breeding like rabbits of 6 or more offspring.

This is the uncomfortable truth. Watch David Attenborough's witness statement - he talks about this too.

The best way to save the planet is for humans to stop multiplying. What did Agent Smith call humans in "The Matrix"? "Like a virus."

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
This is the uncomfortable truth. Watch David Attenborough's witness statement - he talks about this too.

The best way to save the planet is for humans to stop multiplying. What did Agent Smith call humans in "The Matrix"? "Like a virus."
David's my idol. His face should up in the dictionary & encyclopedia as "Fig. A" for environmentalist.

All others are mere virtue signaling posers trying to one up each other for social status among their peer group.

The worst type of "environmentalists" are those who use their causes to extract corporate social responsibility (CSR) money to fund their "studies" and "bird counting" trips. Nevermind if its a dirty energy or from underwater mining. "I got my funding for my vacation!"

Tell that to the Auks, the Do-do’s, prehistoric mega-fauna, the ice age, and the medieval warming period.
I agree with you.

They all did happen.

The difference between the last 200 years and the 10,000 years prior are the degrees or frequencies of those world changing events.

It will only get worse as more people are born and critical habitats converted to farmland to feed more people and grow plants for textile to make clothing, cut down trees for building homes to cover these newly born person's physiological basic needs.

That's a lot of "green" people are shams. Those who actually walk the walk would shun using mass market laundry detergent and modern laundry machines as these really screw up the environment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I have never owned a 200 mm f2; I guess for me the 70-200 mm f2.8, which is no slouch, is good enough for my needs. I am definitely looking forward to the later half of 2021 when Canon releases more lenses. For my needs (nature photography) I would be most interested in a 500 mm f4, but only time will tell when it gets release.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
I don't get this lens. Too heavy, too short, too little depth of field, too big, and too expensive. I'm sure others love it, but I can't see any situation where I would want this lens.
Ultimate street foto lens. If you shoot a lot in urban settings it helps a lot to be able to block out distracting backgrounds action, colors etc. Used it very successfully for that.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
Photographers buying this particular glass can replace multiple lens by using teleconverters 1.4X or 2X, saving them space and $$$.

200f2 x 1.4 = 280 f2.8
200f2 x 1.4 = 400 f4

So

If this RF is really sharp, then it’s like having two extra lens for the price of one, covering multiple genre in one. This setup will probably be lighter than having the real RF 300f2.8 or RF 400f4 DO with a tiny drop in IQ and AF performance.
Could be a thing, but there's also a lot to be said for having a great 400mm option with the 300mm f/2.8 lens. Also, bokeh and speed may suffer with the 1.4x. Time will tell.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
The first 2 lenses have a wide-open entrance pupil of 97 and 101 mm. I wonder if there will be a DO front element in any of them? If they can get the price and weight down I would be very interested in one, particularly the 300mm one.

Does anybody care to guess what the price & weight might be for them?
Maybe - at the cost of making it longer - the reduced entrance of the 300mm lens will allow Canon to make the lens lighter?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Could be a thing, but there's also a lot to be said for having a great 400mm option with the 300mm f/2.8 lens. Also, bokeh and speed may suffer with the 1.4x. Time will tell.
The EF 200 f/2 is reportedly a great long portrait lens but the EF 135 f/2 is extremely good as well. I own a EF 300 f/2.8 which, with TCs and FF and crop bodies, gives me a lot of options. If I was exclusively FF, I'd own the 400 f/2.8 as well. Furthermore, given how good the EF big whites are and how little the mount adapters add to size and weight, I don't see any reason to introduce RF big whites at all.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
The EF 200 f/2 is reportedly a great long portrait lens but the EF 135 f/2 is extremely good as well. I own a EF 300 f/2.8 which, with TCs and FF and crop bodies, gives me a lot of options. If I was exclusively FF, I'd own the 400 f/2.8 as well. Furthermore, given how good the EF big whites are and how little the mount adapters add to size and weight, I don't see any reason to introduce RF big whites at all.
If you think the 135L f/2.0 and the 200L f/2.0 compare, you are mistaken (I have used all three regularly). Its a lot closer to the 300mm f/2.8. As for myself I have already sold my big whites and am buying RF-lenses as they become available because they can AF faster at full fps, update the viewfinder faster and do not need an adapter, and also have the quick control ring in a usable position and - hopefully - are a little lighter. YMMV.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ultimate street foto lens. If you shoot a lot in urban settings it helps a lot to be able to block out distracting backgrounds action, colors etc. Used it very successfully for that.
I’d like to see the shots, personally I’ve not seen any street photography with any kind of connection or engagement shot with a long lens and I know a guy who used to swear by his 500 f4 for ‘street’ photography.

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Somehow i wish canon remakes the 200/2.8 little black l lens into rf. The old ef version is very light and very good.
It is hard to justify the need for the 2.8, given the existence of many 70-200mm out there. I own one and I like it very much, but still, I grab it only when I know for certain I am going to use it the whole day long. Even when you think about its weight, the 135 F2 finds more use in my eyes. The focal length is more practical and if I need more reach I just grab an extender with me.
I bought the 200 f2.8 because I hated the white color at one point. As soon as I started recording videos on a tripod, the zoom totally eliminated it from my bag. I never sold mine only for the sake of interviews using double cameras. I couldn't justify buying another zoom to have two on tripods. I simply like the look of 200mm 2.8 in my formal video interviews.
I doubt there is a high need to put a priority on having it in RF version. Those RF 70-200mm take away a vast majority of client needs at that focal length, not to mention the existence of the still very good EF version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I’d like to see the shots, personally I’ve not seen any street photography with any kind of connection or engagement shot with a long lens and I know a guy who used to swear by his 500 f4 for ‘street’ photography.
When shooting parades, I use mainly my 100-400mm II at 300-400mm ends. I don't know if I would take a 500mm F4, because I don't own it, and it is quite big, but the zoom is very practical and, indeed 400mm compresses and isolates the subject quite a bit compared to a 70-200mm 2.8. I have never taken the 200 F2 though and I would be interested too. The lack of zoom might be very limiting for parades.
See my Canada day parades at https://www.flickr.com/photos/besisika if that is what you are looking for.

Upvote 0
Going back to topic I expect the RF replacement to come out years later within the next 5 years.

There are other higher volume L lenses that have yet to receive an RF update.

I believe that to the extent that I think consumer USM and STM lenses will be out before this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0