Patent: Canon RF 200mm f/2L IS USM and other Big White Lenses

Mar 17, 2020
eh......I love my 70-200 from an IQ standpoint, but the problem is I just can't find many use-cases for it. When you get near the 200 end you always end up wishing you had more. A 300 would be better as a safari lense (maybe paired with a 600 for further away things)...
300mm f/2.8 is the perfect Safari lens because you can go to an excellent 380mm with the 1.4x and a very good 600mm with the 2x when needed while still having something quite handy and easy to move with. 400mm f/2.8 is a super lens, but it gets a lot less use unless you are into birding, and increasingly strict on-board baggage flight restrictions is making it a pain to transport (forget ever seeing your lenses again if you ever put a super tele lens into the hold...).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
300mm f/2.8 is the perfect Safari lens because you can go to an excellent 380mm with the 1.4x and a very good 600mm with the 2x when needed while still having something quite handy and easy to move with. 400mm f/2.8 is a super lens, but it gets a lot less use unless you are into birding, and increasingly strict on-board baggage flight restrictions is making it a pain to transport (forget ever seeing your lenses again if you ever put a super tele lens into the hold...).
Yeh you have a typo there. A 300mm f2.8 with a 1.4 makes a 420 f4

Oh and as for the expensive equipment in the hold none sense, how do you think people move video production equipment? People like National Geographic, tv companies etc etc, they fly it in the hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Not when they go on a Safari to Africa for sure...
When you pack the amount of stuff they do they can't possibly take even the most important parts of the production equipment into the cabin, that is just a fact. Expensive gear can and does travel in holds all the time, that no one person wants to put their personal camera body or lens in a checked bag is very understandable, but that does not mean it can't and isn't done safely very regularly.

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
When you pack the amount of stuff they do they can't possibly take even the most important parts of the production equipment into the cabin, that is just a fact. Expensive gear can and does travel in holds all the time, that no one person wants to put their personal camera body or lens in a checked bag is very understandable, but that does not mean it can't and isn't done safely very regularly.
I actually travel with pro camera teams - and they do not put their bread and butter into the hold when travelling to third world countries - ever. Just imagine the cost of standing there at the airport with zero gear and 5 people not able to do anything but turn back with the next flight. Not happening. If they can't have their own gear at hand (certain TV productions) they hire locally.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I actually travel with pro camera teams - and they do not put their bread and butter into the hold when travelling to third world countries - ever. Just imagine the cost of standing there at the airport with zero gear and 5 people not able to do anything but turn back with the next flight. Not happening. If they can't have their own gear at hand (certain TV productions) they hire locally.
Or charter a flight.

Upvote 0