Patent: Canon shows off some information about the eye-controlled AF point selection

Josh Leavitt

EOS 90D
Aug 19, 2018
I'm pretty sure the servo-mode continuous tracking will be fairly polished at the time of release. But I'm hopeful eye-control focus is applicable to more than just AF-enabled lenses. I could really see a lot of usefulness in being able to quickly select a focus point with your eye on a manual lens and then punch in with magnification for a focus check. It would certainly be a lot faster than than a joystick.

Reactions: AJ

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
Actually the latest eye-control was in the EOS 30 around 2000 (20y ago!) and it already worked pretty well even then (my own experience). Why they haven't continued with it is beyond me.

Reactions: Chig and EOS 4 Life

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Actually the latest eye-control was in the EOS 30 around 2000 (20y ago!) and it already worked pretty well even then (my own experience). Why they haven't continued with it is beyond me.
The eos 30v came out in 2003 and I have one and I found the eye controlled focus works quite well if you use a large eyecup like my Hoodman one which keeps your eye in a fairly fixed position relative to the viewfinder

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
I hope Canon use the opportunity to use the iris scanning used for the eye control as a security unlocking option just like thumbprint scanner for smartphones .
Iris scanner would better for cameras as we sometimes need to wear gloves