Patent: IBIS appears in EOS M and PowerShot cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent that shows IBIS being developed for the EOS M system, as well as for PowerShots. This patent showcases IBIS and lens stabilization working in harmony on Canon’s smaller cameras.
Canon News explains:
What this patent actually is, is that with smaller cameras, the actual stabilization will cause vibration because the sensor and optical elements are moving, and that will then result in more shake, which then gets compensated, and basically you have a runaway system with the smaller and lighter cameras because of the sensor and optical element mass.  So what Canon is doing is finding a way to reduce the vibration caused by the IS units.
The images in the patent seem to show what looks to be an EOS M style body, this may be just for illustration purposes as we have been told by folks at Canon themselves that a follow-up to the EOS M5 was not coming...

Continue reading...

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
Canonrumors, you’ve mentioned a few times that “Canon” has told you twice that the M6 Mark II replaces the M5, but I’ve never seen an independent post with the details of those notifications. Who told you? When? What context? I have doubts that Canon would a) have conclusively made that decision, and b) communicated such a decision in this haphazard way. If some rep at Best Buy said that, I would give it zero credit. What seems clear to me is that Canon, instead of pretending like the M5 is still the flagship, has made clear that the M6II is the flagship at this point (it is the best M ever by a long shot and I’ve shot on everything except the M3 and M6). I expect an M5II or an equivalent fully integrated top end body (M1X?) by the end of 2020. The M6II has too many compromises that are unnecessary in the actual flagship M, given the unique mount, limited lens selection, and market orientation of the M system.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canonrumors, you’ve mentioned a few times that “Canon” has told you twice that the M6 Mark II replaces the M5, but I’ve never seen an independent post with the details of those notifications. Who told you? When? What context? I have doubts that Canon would a) have conclusively made that decision, and b) communicated such a decision in this haphazard way. If some rep at Best Buy said that, I would give it zero credit. What seems clear to me is that Canon, instead of pretending like the M5 is still the flagship, has made clear that the M6II is the flagship at this point (it is the best M ever by a long shot and I’ve shot on everything except the M3 and M6). I expect an M5II or an equivalent fully integrated top end body (M1X?) by the end of 2020. The M6II has too many compromises that are unnecessary in the actual flagship M, given the unique mount, limited lens selection, and market orientation of the M system.

Agreed. I'm still banking on a mkII replacement for my M5. M6II is no good to me as the wife would know I've bought a new camera.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

I was somewhat hoping for an M5 MII. Just for a nice sized camera to carry. Now I have decided that it would be nice to see a very small RF mount APSC or FF (Think OM-1 was full frame and incredibly small and light.) with non-L, but great optically, small lenses with no IS but all in the body for size/price/complexity reduction. In other words an RF mount FF "Olympus OM-1 size" camera/lenses would be really incredible and would be a good seller I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
The next generation M50 (M60?) will be the camera the M5 fans are going to want. Will (hopefully) keep the built in EVF, keep the tilty-flippy screen, will have the new sensor, latest Digic chip, and maybe even the IBIS in this patent, but might not have all dials your old M5 did, and you won't be able to say you own the flagship M camera. I know that may initially be too much for some to compromise but I bet a after a few months and all the rave reviews the M5 loyalists will come around.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Canon has gone crazy. Now they're putting IBIS in everything: DSLRs, mirrorless cameras, compact cameras, printers, camera straps, t-shirts, dogs.

It is called flexing their muscle.
Something they have not done definitively since the EF mount.

Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
I have an M50, because it’s the best M camera that still has an integrated viewfinder. I really wanted the M5Markii to come out, and Canon easily could have released it along side the M6Markii. They just won’t do it though. This is a deliberate choice.

They are going to make that market segment jump to the Rp if they want a small mirrorless with all the integrated controls and features. Canon needs you to buy RF lenses.
I just wish they would release an RF version on an APS-C camera, and perhaps some “RF-S” lenses. Then Canon can finally get back on track to start merging the “schism” in the FF/APS-C mirrorless mounts.

Upvote 0

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
I have an M50, because it’s the best M camera that still has an integrated viewfinder. I really wanted the M5Markii to come out, and Canon easily could have released it along side the M6Markii. They just won’t do it though. This is a deliberate choice.

They are going to make that market segment jump to the Rp if they want a small mirrorless with all the integrated controls and features. Canon needs you to buy RF lenses.
I just wish they would release an RF version on an APS-C camera, and perhaps some “RF-S” lenses. Then Canon can finally get back on track to start merging the “schism” in the FF/APS-C mirrorless mounts.
Pure speculation that I don’t think tracks with the market or Canon’s own statements. There’s no schism between M and R - they are simply distinct systems. Tight markets usually require more products to target various market segments and the M is specialized for that purpose. The RP is an inferior camera to the M6 Mark II in all respects except those associated directly with sensor size or lens mount.

Upvote 0

IcyBergs

I have a Sony...TV
May 31, 2016
For some, this was exactly the reason to buy a M5 - especially since if you prefer a viewfinder you may like to change setting using controls with physical location and feedback.
True, and yet some of those same people you speak of may also prefer a screen that flips closed since they primarily use the EVF (yes I am aware that you can use the screen for dragging and selecting focus). I guess what I was trying to say is there is no perfect tool, a consumer with a budget always has to make compromises, and I think that if/when the next gen M50 is out (if it maintains the same or substantially similar form) it will win over a majority of the M5II hopefuls.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Yes, but there is absolutely no reason that the would not be working on a new member of the M family that would put the M6II to shame...., just not called an M5.

look at the top end Oly and Panasonic micro 4/3 cameras. Surely Canon is going to compete?

Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
So why do you think Canon didn’t release an M5Markii or any new m-mount lenses recently?

Pure speculation that I don’t think tracks with the market or Canon’s own statements. There’s no schism between M and R - they are simply distinct systems. Tight markets usually require more products to target various market segments and the M is specialized for that purpose. The RP is an inferior camera to the M6 Mark II in all respects except those associated directly with sensor size or lens mount.

Upvote 0