Patent: IBIS appears in EOS M and PowerShot cameras

Nov 13, 2015
The Nikon Z50 is interesting along these lines as well. Z50: no IBIS. Uses full size Z mount, but manages to be rather small -- surprisingly, the body size is pretty close to the M5. The APS-c lenses specifically for it are good, but a bit clunky in form factor. Still, folks seem to like it.

If the next gen top-tier M could have a full size R mount with a little ring adapter to mount existing ef-m lenses it would be a great combo of versatility and compactness. The Z50 shows it is possible to have a full size mirrorless mount and also have a respectably small body size. The ability to use compact ef-m glass via adapter, as well as R lenses (and thus also the extant EF to R adapter) would afford great versatility. Of course, the usual APS-C 1.6 mulitplier would apply. With the R to M adapter in place, the M to Ef (and Ef-s) adapter could be used. If that thin R to M ring is technically feasible it would be a kind of Rosetta stone for lenses!

With M lens mountability it is the best of both worlds: use the M family of lenses optimized for compact performance, and be able to use R lenses as well. A very reasonable compactness to versatility trade-off. The lower level M cameras such as the M6 mkII would still have a standard M mount for maximum overall compactness. Add IBIS per this thread and the 22 and 32 primes (and hopefully more tba) would become even more effective in low-light situations.

I gather this mount topic has been DTD already in other threads; anyway, I could go for such a camera! And IBIS would be a very nice bonus.

Addendum: If this is indeed what Canon is working on then it makes sense that it would not be called an M5 mkII. Sounds more like an M1 to me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So why do you think Canon didn’t release an M5Markii or any new m-mount lenses recently?

the same reason why they haven't done any EF lens updates, even with the 1DX Mark III coming out - they are simply flatlined freaking up to their eyeballs in getting the R ecosystem done.

it's all the same resources. The EF-M is mature enough really for what it's supposed to do.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
the same reason why they haven't done any EF lens updates, even with the 1DX Mark III coming out - they are simply flatlined freaking up to their eyeballs in getting the R ecosystem done.

it's all the same resources. The EF-M is mature enough really for what it's supposed to do.
Liked your post except for that last line. Are you referring to the lenses, the body or the entire system? One could make the same argument about the EF-S and the EF lines. Other than releasing faster/sharper lenses at a glacial rate, Canon seems to be all in...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Liked your post except for that last line. Are you referring to the lenses, the body or the entire system? One could make the same argument about the EF-S and the EF lines. Other than releasing faster/sharper lenses at a glacial rate, Canon seems to be all in...
I meant the lenses really. I'm going by the assumption that since Canon pass the reigns over to the powershot group for the EOS-M development it was never going to be a serious system taking up / consuming significant Canon technical resources.

Upvote 0
Canonrumors, you’ve mentioned a few times that “Canon” has told you twice that the M6 Mark II replaces the M5, but I’ve never seen an independent post with the details of those notifications.
This has been addressed and covered by DPReview when they reviewed the 90D and M6II in Atlanta at the Canon release event. Canon told DPReview the M6II is the replacement to the M5 and M6. Done and done.
As I correctly surmised when the 90D specs began leaking, the M5II (circa 2019) simply had nowhere to go. Producing it would have cannibalized the 90D and RP simultaneously at a time Canon could not afford to let go of existing 70x and 7Dx crowd or the struggling RP line. They needed to force as many of the M5 and 7(0)xD users onto the RP preferentially or the 90D. Or as many in my case: give up in frustration and migrate to other platforms (way to go Canon)l.
Does this mean the M5II is dead?A 2018-9 version, yes. The door is open for a 2020-2 release if Canon wants to continue to slim down the product offerings (badly needed) and commit to the M line as the non-FF mirrorless option.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Agreed: both R and RP cameras are not much better, aside from mount and sensor size. That's one probable reason Canon hasn't release a flagship M5 MarkII (yet). if the M5 MarkII had been released with the M6 MarkII, why would price-sensitive consumers and enthusiasts choose R/RP? Holiday pricing in the US reduced the RP to $999. Canon management has a serious problem attracting R/RP sales beyond early adopters. On the other hand, the M50 was the best-selling mirrorless in Japan...and probably other countries.

To all who have been patiently hoping for M5 MarkII
, expect to wait until after the next generation of R/RP cameras are released (mid-2020?). Canon clearly knows that an integrated viewfinder and adjustable LCD is a winning combination (M50, R, RP). Given Canon's profit crunch with the R/RP, they need a high margin, flagship product (M5 MarkII) but knew that would cannibalize sales from R/RP. Consider the M6 MarkII as just a "teaser" camera to remind the EF-M faithful that Canon hadn't forgotten us.

The RP is an inferior camera to the M6 Mark II in all respects except those associated directly with sensor size or lens mount.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This has been addressed and covered by DPReview when they reviewed the 90D and M6II in Atlanta at the Canon release event. Canon told DPReview the M6II is the replacement to the M5 and M6. Done and done.

Correct me if I'm mistaken. I believe DPreview reported that M6II is the new "flagship" camera for the M line. Indeed the M6II does currently "replace" both M5 and M6--but that doesn't mean there isn't a M5II in the pipeline.

Do you have a reference (or link) from Canon that says there's "no M5II" in the future?

Upvote 0
Correct me if I'm mistaken. I believe DPreview reported that M6II is the new "flagship" camera for the M line. Indeed the M6II does currently "replace" both M5 and M6--but that doesn't mean there isn't a M5II in the pipeline.

Do you have a reference (or link) from Canon that says there's "no M5II" in the future?
Oh... I thought it is the flagship for the R and M system? Am I wrong?

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
Oh... I thought it is the flagship for the R and M system? Am I wrong?
The M6ll is an "M" camera. It has the EF-M mount. It is Canon's latest APS-C line of cameras.
The EOS R is Canon's latest Full Frame camera mount. The 2 mounts are distinct and are not interchangeable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I was somewhat hoping for an M5 MII. Just for a nice sized camera to carry. Now I have decided that it would be nice to see a very small RF mount APSC or FF (Think OM-1 was full frame and incredibly small and light.) with non-L, but great optically, small lenses with no IS but all in the body for size/price/complexity reduction. In other words an RF mount FF "Olympus OM-1 size" camera/lenses would be really incredible and would be a good seller I believe.
The RP is already almost exactly the same size and weight as the OM-1

Upvote 0

Chris_Seattle

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, M50
Aug 30, 2019
Bingo.

When Canon:

1: Could easily technically release the M5Markii.

2: Knows that people would want to buy it.

3: Still chooses not to release it.

It means that they don’t want you to buy it. They don’t want to make something that will be “good enough” to dissuade folks from the RF line. Same reasoning applies to why they don’t have a 7DMarkiii.

It’s all about the lens ecosystem. Not the bodies.

To all who have been patiently hoping for M5 MarkII, expect to wait until after the next generation of R/RP cameras are released (mid-2020?). Canon clearly knows that an integrated viewfinder and adjustable LCD is a winning combination (M50, R, RP). Given Canon's profit crunch with the R/RP, they need a high margin, flagship product (M5 MarkII) but knew that would cannibalize sales from R/RP. Consider the M6 MarkII as just a "teaser" camera to remind the EF-M faithful that Canon hadn't forgotten us.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

To all who have been patiently hoping for M5 MarkII, expect to wait until after the next generation of R/RP cameras are released (mid-2020?). Canon clearly knows that an integrated viewfinder and adjustable LCD is a winning combination (M50, R, RP). Given Canon's profit crunch with the R/RP, they need a high margin, flagship product (M5 MarkII) but knew that would cannibalize sales from R/RP. Consider the M6 MarkII as just a "teaser" camera to remind the EF-M faithful that Canon hadn't forgotten us.
I can easily live with your suggestion of a mid-2020 release. I could also live with a mid-2021 release as I normally tend to skip at least one generation. For me the newer generation needs more than only small increments that I can justify the newer model. The sensor tech from the M6II with regard to the predecessor could indicate enough increment for me. But I'm not at all in a hurry. So Canon won't get me into buying the M6II nor buying into the R/RP instead in a desperate move. I like the M5 exactly for what it is. Integrated EVF amount of dials and still reasonable small and light package together with the EF-M lenses. Don't like the idea of the M6 line with the removable EVF. And for FF I do have a 6DMII. No need for me to have two Full Frame bodies.

Frank

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
Yup. Lenses are to bodies what ink is to printers.
Actually, it's the other way around for me. My lenses far outlast my bodies, and my lens mount (EF) pretty much limits which camera I will buy when my current one dies. I am an amateur, so I'm not changing my whole system for a few new features.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Actually, it's the other way around for me. My lenses far outlast my bodies, and my lens mount (EF) pretty much limits which camera I will buy when my current one dies. I am an amateur, so I'm not changing my whole system for a few new features.
Canon will make far more money selling a collection of lenses to guys like me rather than just a body with the kit lens. Canon doesn't exactly give bodies away, but they almost give away printers. Sometimes Canon does give printers away. Ink is another story.

I had probably 8-10 regular EF/EF-s lenses before getting my first L lens which amounted to 6 at one point. So that's 14-16 lenses and a total of 4 bodies in EF or EF-s. (XSi = 4 years, T5i = 2 weeks, 70D= 3years, 5D Mark III = 5 years)

Now I have sold all my EF gear and have the R. I will probably end up with 6 RF lenses and maybe one more body. When I go out to shoot I typically shoot no more than 30 photos. I only shot about 4,700 photos in 2019. Of those, maybe 200 photos were worth keeping. 50 worth printing. Bodies and lenses last me a long time. I am, like you, an amateur. :)

Wedding and sports photographers probably consume far more bodies than lenses. I have found that as I improve (mostly portraits of a toddler grandson), I take less shots. My hunch is that the vast majority of cameras gather dust, with the kit lens, in most purchaser's closets and have never been out of full auto mode. So my comment concerned a specific atypical group of buyers: guys that frequent this forum and buy a lot of glass vs bodies. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The RP is already almost exactly the same size and weight as the OM-1

I noted body and lenses combined.
Put a 50mm f1.4 on the RP.
I would like to see a reduction in lens size to correspond to the body as Olympus did.

Upvote 0