Patent: Inner zoom RF 70-200mm f/2.8 and RF 70-200mm f/4

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Seven from Canon? AFAIK that works only if B&H carries discontinued versions of those lenses.
FWIW Between Canon US and Canon Europe, at least 6 appear to be current. F/4 non-IS, F/2.8 IS, F/4 IS, F/4 IS II, F/2.8 IS II, and F/4 IS III. The only on that seems to be actually discontinued is the first version of the F/2.8 IS and it is still widely available. Not saying this is all the sensible, but I can see the sense in extending and non extending versions. Note also, that all those 70-200s are L series lenses, whereas at 70-300, we have one L and 3 non-L versions that seem to be current. Sony is the poster boy for introducing new cameras and not discontinuing the old one, but Canon does quite a bit of the same thing with lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
everyone complained about push/pull with canon 100-400L I and when 100-400L II they complained about twist

Actually quite a few people wrote and spoke positively about both lenses. Version II might have been the best designed L series lens ever. But to consider the pros and cons, and the compromises we make constantly in photography is just part of assessing gear.

Saying "everybody" complained might be a bit of an exaggeration.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2020
Actually quite a few people wrote and spoke positively about both lenses. Version II might have been the best designed L series lens ever. But to consider the pros and cons, and the compromises we make constantly in photography is just part of assessing gear.

Saying "everybody" complained might be a bit of an exaggeration.

no shit. my point is people complain no matter what. push/pull. twist. it doesn't matter to me. I adjust.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
FWIW Between Canon US and Canon Europe, at least 6 appear to be current. F/4 non-IS, F/2.8 IS, F/4 IS, F/4 IS II, F/2.8 IS II, and F/4 IS III. The only on that seems to be actually discontinued is the first version of the F/2.8 IS and it is still widely available.

My EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkII USM broke last year. Fixing it was so expensive, I said I'd rather buy a new one. The store didn't have one in stock, and the store manager said he was unsure if & when would another copy be available. So I bought a mkIII.

I wonder whether the older models are listed as current because they're still in production, or because stock didn't run out yet. IIRC, it was said the EOS 1V was listed as current until it ran out of stock, though production stopped years prior.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
My EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS mkII USM broke last year. Fixing it was so expensive, I said I'd rather buy a new one. The store didn't have one in stock, and the store manager said he was unsure if & when would another copy be available. So I bought a mkIII.

I wonder whether the older models are listed as current because they're still in production, or because stock didn't run out yet. IIRC, it was said the EOS 1V was listed as current until it ran out of stock, though production stopped years prior.
Not much doubt that production has stopped on some of those, but production stopped and "discontinued" are two different things. Also lenses tend to be built in lots, so most lenses are not "currently" in production, but another lot will be started when inventory gets low enough. I am disinclined to believe that any of the camera manufacturers sit on years of inventory, so when you find a good deal on what appears to be a "discontinued" item, maybe, just maybe they decided to build another batch to fill a perceived hole in the market. When Canon puts out an announcement that support has ended because parts are no longer available, then I would take that as true discontinuance.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2016
Not much doubt that production has stopped on some of those, but production stopped and "discontinued" are two different things. Also lenses tend to be built in lots, so most lenses are not "currently" in production, but another lot will be started when inventory gets low enough. I am disinclined to believe that any of the camera manufacturers sit on years of inventory, so when you find a good deal on what appears to be a "discontinued" item, maybe, just maybe they decided to build another batch to fill a perceived hole in the market. When Canon puts out an announcement that support has ended because parts are no longer available, then I would take that as true discontinuance.

I've heard lenses are made in batches, and see your point, but doubt Canon makes batches of mkX lenses after mkX+1 was released. I think the likely explanation is once mkX+1 lens is released

A) Sales of mkX lens drop sharply, which allows stock to last a while.

B) Stores don't announce a lens is unavailable until Canon announces it is discontinued *and* the store's stock runs out.

So B&H might list older models as available either because they have a couple of copies available or think / know Canon has some in stock until it announces the lens discontinued.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I've heard lenses are made in batches, and see your point, but doubt Canon makes batches of mkX lenses after mkX+1 was released. I think the likely explanation is once mkX+1 lens is released

A) Sales of mkX lens drop sharply, which allows stock to last a while.

B) Stores don't announce a lens is unavailable until Canon announces it is discontinued *and* the store's stock runs out.

So B&H might list older models as available either because they have a couple of copies available or think / know Canon has some in stock until it announces the lens discontinued.
You may be correct re Canon, but I have seen Panasonic P&S cameras in Costco two models back for a pretty compelling price. These were custom packaged for Costco, so not likely old stock and no way Costco sat on the inventory. The only logical explanation is a custom build of an otherwise obsolete camera that Costco thought was a good value. Sony keeps 5 years of models current just to play the price tier game. Canon is harder to guess, because they appear to flush old models when they release a replacement, but that is cameras. Lenses are harder to read because older models periodically seem to be in abundant supply.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
So... now that we know the current RF 70-200mm L lens does not take teleconverters, does the likelihood that there will be another RF 70-200mm F2.8 lens increase? The differentiating factor being TC compatibility?
It is entirely plausible that in the future Canon will introduce something like an RF 70-200 f/2 with internal zoom and compatible with the teleconverters, though I doubt it will happen any time soon.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I think they are purposefully segmenting the market, saying if you really want that length, you'll shoot the 100-500 which you can put extenders on. If you want speed, you'll put the 70-200 on the R5 and crop if you need to, if you want both you'll buy both ($$$$).

I wonder - what is the resolution difference on the R5 between cropping the RF 70-200 vs. using the EF 70-200 III + 2.0x III? A 50% crop in theory would still be higher res than the R6/1DX III.

Upvote 0