Patent: Internal liquid cooling of camera body

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I don't think so. It states that magnets are used to move the liquid through the tubes. I'd imagine these to be permanent magnets, rather that an electromagnetic design. Neodymium magnets, maybe? It could be that the liquid viscosity changes in the hotter part of the loop too, which might influence the liquid in the magnetic field. *Just me making an uninformed guess. I've forgotten a large part of my physics and magnetism training.* Again, just my guess.
The magnets would be permanent magnets inside the cooling system, the away to get them to rotate and pump cooling fluid would be with electromagnets on the outside, which would need constant power to drive them when the cooling system is active.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Camera cooling, the topic that keeps on giving! ;)

A cooling system for a Canon camera, why would they ever need that? According to all the technical experts on camera forums a few years ago, the R5 and R6 did not overheat, internet trolls were just making up stories. The release of the videocentric R5C with a cooling fan was just a random, unplanned camera body release that had nothing remotely to do to overheating issues. Apparently Canon cameras also never have hardware faults or buggy firmware releases, and the issues that appear that way are always just user error according the unquestionable expertise of people posting on the DPR forum.

Then again, they could just be full of it, and modern cameras really can overheat. Hmm, I wonder which it is? :confused:

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Camera cooling, the topic that keeps on giving! ;)

A cooling system for a Canon camera, why would they ever need that? According to all the technical experts on camera forums a few years ago, the R5 and R6 did not overheat, internet trolls were just making up stories. The release of the videocentric R5C with a cooling fan was just a random, unplanned camera body release that had nothing remotely to do to overheating issues. Apparently Canon cameras also never have hardware faults or buggy firmware releases, and the issues that appear that way are always just user error according the unquestionable expertise of people posting on the DPR forum.

Then again, they could just be full of it, and modern cameras really can overheat. Hmm, I wonder which it is? :confused:
In the deep winter or travelling to the poles, you need a camera to keep your hands warm and defrost your glasses when you raise the camera to your eye. In heat waves, you need one to cool you down, especially your brow, hence Canon is now catering for both.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
will this puta drain on battery, would we then need higher capacity battery?
The patent states that the liquid is magnetic and there is a "magnetic field generator", so in my opinio: yes. It will require energy to pump the heat away.

About 2-3 years ago Canon patented a lens with two charge wells per pixel that could switch between accumulating in bucket A and B across the shutter instantly.
I think you meant camera sensor, not lens, with two charge wells.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
they already use this kind of tech in gaming consoles since the Xbox 360 days. intel and amd also use the same tech.
But if Canon implements this technology with sufficient marketing hype, it instantly becomes revolutionary technology! ;)

Kind of like how APSC sensors were always rubbished as the 'poor cousin' of FF by many gear snobs on forums for decades, irrespective of the application, and now that the R7 has been released, you'd think that Canon just invented the idea of a crop sensor, and it's never been seen before 2022 - how mind-blowing for so many people is the idea that if you packed the same amount (or more) pixels into a smaller sensor than a full frame, you can get more pixels on the subject at the same distance, and that a crop sensor camera might make a useful second camera to a FF because it has different strengths and weaknesses, might be better at some applications, and is usually cheaper. Wow, mind blown! :oops:

Upvote 0