Patent: Optical formulas for Canon RF macro lenses

usern4cr

EOS RP
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Not sure who I could contact though, or if they'd listen to an amateur.
A week or so ago I sent a customer request to Canon (https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...duct-showcases/projectors/contact-a-sales-rep) to make a suggestion on RF lenses and camera features (like aperture bracketing) that I'd like to see them add in the future. To me surprise, I got a very nice response from Tim at Camera Support <eoscamera@cits.canon.com> thanking me, with a few nice personally written paragraphs, and saying that my suggestion would be passed on. I responded with a few more suggestions, getting a nice response from Jacob. I have no idea if it will make any difference, but I will say that they were amazingly responsive and friendly and I think others interested in Canon might find that good to hear.

If they see your work, and history with the MP-E 65, the people that matter in Japan might take you very seriously and you might just make a difference. If they decide to design a new version of a RF MP-E 65 with AZ (user controlled auto-zoom, which also does the auto-focus when zooming) then the whole macro community can celebrate!

Reactions: Dalantech

bclaff

EOS M6 Mark II
I take it that you're the developer of the Optical Bench? If so, hat's off to you! It's a remarkable piece of work. I spent a lot of time reading your tutorial of how the optics work relating to what you've done. Now I feel that I'm very much better informed on how lenses work, so that when I make camera & lens suggestions to others on what I think should be done I might be a little bit more wiser and a whole lot less clueless.

Thanks, again!
Yes, PhotonsToPhotos is my site. Best known for my sensor measurements but I think the Optical Bench and patent data are under-appreciated.

Thanks for the positive feedback. You seem to be getting just what I hoped out of that material I have prepared.

Feel free to email (contact is at the bottom of the main page) if you have additional feedback or requests.

Last edited: