Patent: RF prime lenses including an RF 24mm f/1.4L USM and RF 50mm f/1.4 USM

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
I had an EF 50mm f/1.4. Then its AF motor got stuck. Thought about it hard, decided its not worth fixing, and threw it to the trash. A couple of months before Canon acknowledge its a manufacturing problem. My lens' serial was covered, if only I waited a bit...

Later on I sold the 35mm f/2 IS USM to buy a new EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM mkIII, which was my last Canon prime.
That sucks. I'm either one of the fortunate ones who got a good copy, or just too inexperienced at the time to know better. This lens at the time was my first fast prime. I was using kit lenses and affordable zooms before that.

Upvote 0
f/1.4 50mm looks good - hopefully similar to the EF-M 32 in terms of quality and close focus range.
If I understood some of the text correctly the last group is fixed - maybe some anti-focus-breathing design for video with the C70 and hopefully an C-RP @ 1299 $/€ :) a dual gain 2k sensor would be sufficient for me!

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Thinking about the RF 24 F/1.4, I didn't previously consider the EF mount to be a very interesting lens, but with the addition of the RF 28-70 F/2, I'm moreso considering the idea of switching to the 28-70 and having a fast 24mm in my belt kit to swap to. A 24mm F/1.8 would also serve that function for much cheaper, but I do wonder if the RF 24mm gets more of a market now thanks to 28-70 users. That said, a 20mm F/1.4 may be even more enticing for that crowd.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Pretty disappointed to see the 24/1.4 listings both come in at 120mm.

The Sony 24/1.4 GM is 92.4mm. That is only 77% of the length of the Canon, which if it comes out will be several years newer. Given how sharp the Sony is, there isn’t really much to compete on other than size for those looking at each system.
CR guy should add a "The lens length given in patents includes the 20 mm flange distance. Subtract to compare with other lenses" to these posts.

120 mm in patent = 100 mm lens sticking out of the body.

Upvote 0
Is 24mm wide enough for astro? I have always wanted/needed much wider lenses. The days of stitching multiple rows for pano are behind me now.
I've done quite a bit of nightscapes and astrophotography with the Canon EF 35mm f1.4L II and it is superb, with no coma to speak of. It is wide enough to give some beautiful nightscapes, especially if you want some good foreground elements to your photo. I sold the lens (prematurely) with the anticipation of a RF replacement (groan). Currently, I use the RF 15-35 f2.8L for nightscapes, but I'm finding that f2.8 is a huge step-down from f1.4. I'm of the opinion that beautiful nightscapes, like day-landscapes, are often greatly improved by a beautiful foreground, dimly lit under the gorgeous night sky.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Considering the length of the 24mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4 lenses described in the patents and comparing them to the EF mount equivalents, it appears Canon is going for a heavier optical design with more glass elements:
24mm f/1.4 (120mm vs 87mm)
50mm f/1.4 (100mm vs 50mm)

While I'm confident that these will be great performers, I would have loved for Canon to adopt design principles similar to Sony's 24mm f/1.4 & 35mm f/1.4 GM models, both of which are both the lightest and sharpest in their respective categories.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Considering the length of the 24mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4 lenses described in the patents and comparing them to the EF mount equivalents, it appears Canon is going for a heavier optical design with more glass elements:
24mm f/1.4 (120mm vs 87mm)
50mm f/1.4 (100mm vs 50mm)

While I'm confident that these will be great performers, I would have loved for Canon to adopt design principles similar to Sony's 24mm f/1.4 & 35mm f/1.4 GM models, both of which are both the lightest and sharpest in their respective categories.
They are actually both 20 mm shorter than the numbers you quoted there. Don't forget that patent length includes the 20 mm flange distance!

Upvote 0
CR guy should add a "The lens length given in patents includes the 20 mm flange distance. Subtract to compare with other lenses" to these posts.

120 mm in patent = 100 mm lens sticking out of the body.
Is there a reference somewhere to say this is the case? In the patent the lengths are listed as "whole length of the lens", additionally, the description of the technical drawings indicates that the lengths describe the optical system which is measured by the line L0, which you can see only encloses the optical elements and not the flange to sensor distance, as the patent specifies the length of the optical system, and not the theoretical camera to which it may be attached.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Is there a reference somewhere to say this is the case? In the patent the lengths are listed as "whole length of the lens", additionally, the description of the technical drawings indicates that the lengths describe the optical system which is measured by the line L0, which you can see only encloses the optical elements and not the flange to sensor distance, as the patent specifies the length of the optical system, and not the theoretical camera to which it may be attached.
I don't have a reference at hand. You can of course compare actual lenses to their patents to see for your self that the total lens length figure in a patent does not match the actual length of the lens.

Here are the patents for the RF 50 mm 1.8, all claiming a total lens length about 20 mm larger than the 40.5 mm stated by Canon's product page: https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8/

The small discrepancy there might be explained by either including or excluding the actual mount lock protrusions.

Anyway, skipping through the patent at hand I could not find a passage that directly stated the L0 length. L0 is the optical components, that's clear. But its length? Would you mind quoting that passage you are referring to?

Upvote 0
I don't have a reference at hand. You can of course compare actual lenses to their patents to see for your self that the total lens length figure in a patent does not match the actual length of the lens.

Here are the patents for the RF 50 mm 1.8, all claiming a total lens length about 20 mm larger than the 40.5 mm stated by Canon's product page: https://www.canonrumors.com/patent-canon-rf-50mm-f-1-8/

The small discrepancy there might be explained by either including or excluding the actual mount lock protrusions.

Anyway, skipping through the patent at hand I could not find a passage that directly stated the L0 length. L0 is the optical components, that's clear. But its length? Would you mind quoting that passage you are referring to?

I see where you’re coming from. If you skip to the end of the patent it discusses the use cases for L0, which can be placed in a mirrored interchangeable lens camera, a mirrorless camera, or a compact camera in which L0 is placed.

There is no explicit answer either way, at least without being able to read japanese probably. But I suspect you are probably right.

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
Agreed, I had two different ones, gave one to my daughter, after a while she gave it back! Sold the other one. the STM 50 is way better than most production modes of the 1.4. I am told once in a while they made a good one, I have never seen it, but some people say the got the odd diamnond in the rough!

I would go for 28mm too.

My 50mm kills...5 countries and 10 years of fashion week, it never fails.

That said, the 35 IS i bought from canon was hilariously/frustratingly broken. One of the worst lenses at first purchase...until repair fixed it up. Its been a winner ever since.

Put IS on that 50!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
My 50mm kills...5 countries and 10 years of fashion week, it never fails.

That said, the 35 IS i bought from canon was hilariously/frustratingly broken. One of the worst lenses at first purchase...until repair fixed it up. Its been a winner ever since.

Put IS on that 50!!!
Consider yourself lucky to have a good sample! Many years ago, my buddy Mark, I think the most talented photographer in this city, went to his retailer and had them bring every 50 1.4 they had in stock to the counter and one by one checked them and cherry picked his. He loves his. I was not so lucky. Lets hope the RF version is stellar.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, but Leica M lenses are not that big. They are known for sharpness and aberration control. And I wouldn't say that their small lenses are not sharp across the field. And distortion? I know they have the rear element much closer to the sensor. But the RF is not that far away, as I remember.
I can confirm that my 50mm Summicron is not only small and lightweight, but also dead-sharp, corners included.
And I'm speaking of a 1969 (!) lens, Canon, do you listen?
The newer Apo Summicron 50 is certainly sharper than any other 50mm on the market.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0