Peak Design Donates 100% of Profits From its 4-Day Travel Tripod Launch for COVID-19 Response and Combating Climate Change

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]I love reading about other people's experiences with different brands, I love looking up reviews and videos to see how they perform and I think that lots of brands out there trying different things is good (even if it feeds into my Gear Acquisition Syndrome). If you find something that fits your needs, good on you. The PD Travel Tripod does that for me (for now!!).

The trouble with reviewing non-digital gear is that ideally you want long term reviews, which conflicts with GAS telling us to buy things immediately. In the past month I've seen new, additional reviews pop up by people that were sent a free tripod during the annoucement blitz that are still positive. That's a good sign.

Upvote 0

Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
I know these guys are based in the ultra-left "woke" city of San Fran, so I guess it's no surprise they think they are doing the Lord's work fighting "climate change." While I do think they make some nice products (I really like my Slide camera strap), this whole "combating climate change" campaign is just a load of nonsense, though I'm sure they are convinced they are helping save the planet. I was a senior analyst for 30+ years (MSEE) with extensive experience in environmental models (mostly used for testing radar systems). I've read the IPCC reports and I've followed the climate alarmist predictions for 30 years. None of the dire predictions made over the past 30 years have come close to coming true. The models used to make their predictions have never been verified against real-world data, so the predictions made have been pretty much worthless. If you're a believer in the religion of man-made climate change (and it is a religion) I know that nothing anyone says is going to sway you, so just go on believing. In the meantime, you guys at Peak Design might want to drive around your own city and observe all the homelessness and filth that is in many parts of the city - maybe it would be a good idea to put some effort into solving the problems in your own back yard.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
I know these guys are based in the ultra-left "woke" city of San Fran, so I guess it's no surprise they think they are doing the Lord's work fighting "climate change." While I do think they make some nice products (I really like my Slide camera strap), this whole "combating climate change" campaign is just a load of nonsense, though I'm sure they are convinced they are helping save the planet. I was a senior analyst for 30+ years (MSEE) with extensive experience in environmental models (mostly used for testing radar systems). I've read the IPCC reports and I've followed the climate alarmist predictions for 30 years. None of the dire predictions made over the past 30 years have come close to coming true. The models used to make their predictions have never been verified against real-world data, so the predictions made have been pretty much worthless. If you're a believer in the religion of man-made climate change (and it is a religion) I know that nothing anyone says is going to sway you, so just go on believing. In the meantime, you guys at Peak Design might want to drive around your own city and observe all the homelessness and filth that is in many parts of the city - maybe it would be a good idea to put some effort into solving the problems in your own back yard.
May I suggest watching the news occasionally (the real news)...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Maybe they are just better than you at advertising.

Upvote 0

Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
May I suggest watching the news occasionally (the real news)...
Sure, you can suggest whatever you want to suggest. You can also base your opinions on what "real news" tells you - and you can drink from that cup - or you can look at the facts and read the IPCC reports and make up your own mind.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sure, you can suggest whatever you want to suggest. You can also base your opinions on what "real news" tells you - and you can drink from that cup - or you can look at the facts and read the IPCC reports and make up your own mind.
Please try not to bring un-resolvable partisan rhetoric into Canon Rumor forums. There are an infinite number of outlets for that on the inter webs.

Inflammatory political baiting such as this will only diminish the quality of information available here and every poster will be forced to pick a “side” while no opinion on anything will be changed. We’d all appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I sawed the central tube that holds the head to half the length to increase stability yet allowed the tripod to reverse fold efficiently. If there is little or no wind, the tripod is extended all the way. The astro images with the Eos R with 24-105 show no signs of camera shake, even when slight star trails are visible.
Although I have never used a Gorilla Pod, when I have manipulated them in stores, they do not seem very stable, certainly not as stable as the Sirui. I hiked the length of the Swiss Alps a few years ago and took an M3 and the 12-22 and 55-200 zooms, with a Manfrotto table tripod because weight was really critical. I wouldn't consider a Gorilla Pod.
My day to day tripod is my large Manfrotto carbon 290XL but I don't take it on serious hikes.
My point is that there is a role for well made, small carbon tripods.
The Peak Design carbon travel tripod lists in NZ at an insane NZD 1200. This is almost four times the price of my Sirui!!!!!

Upvote 0

Basil

What is this?
Jul 29, 2013
New Mexico
Please try not to bring un-resolvable partisan rhetoric into Canon Rumor forums. There are an infinite number of outlets for that on the inter webs.

Inflammatory political baiting such as this will only diminish the quality of information available here and every poster will be forced to pick a “side” while no opinion on anything will be changed. We’d all appreciate your cooperation. Thanks.
Got it

Upvote 0
I have a Sirui Carbon Fiber tripod also. It doesn't fold up as small as the Peak Design but it's still pretty good and very sturdy - and a lot less $$

I've gone through a few Sirui tripods. I still own a Sirui W2204 that I use for instances when I might damage a tripod. They are crap. You get what you pay for. From the shoddy spiders that bend, to the locks that fail, to their ridiculous choice in leg angles to increase those height stats.

Buy a Sirui if you want to replace it in two years. Buy a RRS or a Gitzo if you want something that actually lasts, is well designed, and well made.

Upvote 0