Pics from Costa Rica + 7D Mark II Thoughts...

I thought I'd post a few more from Costa Rica.

I've also added a video about how I set up my 7D Mark II autofocus here - http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon7DmarkIISetupReviewandSettings.html

Chestnut-colored%20Woodpecker%20-%2002.jpg

Red-legged%20Honeycreeper%20-%2013.jpg

Spectacled%20Owl%20-%2002.jpg

King%20Vulture%20-%2004.jpg

King%20Vulture%20-%2009.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Glenn Bartley said:

I've also added a video about how I set up my 7D Mark II autofocus here - http://www.glennbartley.com/Canon7DmarkIISetupReviewandSettings.html
... (shortening the quote)

Interesting and informative video, Glenn! Thanks for your effort to bring us that.

The BBF*2 seem to be a smart way after all. I was dubious at first when I saw someone mention it, but it looks like it could be the way to go for serious bird shooting.
The new options, in creating and building up your personal configurations, will likely take some time to get right.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Glenn, enjoyed the bird photos, but I enjoyed the video on setting up the custom buttons more. I'd never used back focus buttons before and found them very natural and useful. One thing I did differently was to leave the main shutter button as is. I found that if I was using a back AF button it overrides what the shutter button half-press is configured to do by itself. That is an easy way to have three different AF setups selectable with the touch of a button. This obviates the need to switch the functionality of the shutter half-press as you indicate in your video. Anyway, I was able to try out the three different AF modes at a football playoff game this evening and quickly got used to selecting the right mode for a particular situation. Of the 520 photos I shot this evening less than 10 were not focused on the intended target. I give most of the credit to the 7D2 and its wonderful AF and the rest of the credit to you and your video for getting me to set up the camera so I could quickly experiment with and explore this very capable AF system. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Cool pics, super birds, super jels you get to spend so much time in central america! But whats with the big OOF blob on that last one? Its really distracting. Otherwise, really awesome stuff.

Also, good info in the setup video. When I was demoing the 7DII in a store I was bummed that I couldn't just switch from 65pt auto select to a given point just by using the joystick without hitting a button first. Good to know you can change that in setup. Do you happen to know if there is any way to make the 65pt auto-select prioritize the center AF point like it does on the 1D?

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
Glenn Bartley said:

Chestnut-colored%20Woodpecker%20-%2002.jpg

Red-legged%20Honeycreeper%20-%2013.jpg

Spectacled%20Owl%20-%2002.jpg

King%20Vulture%20-%2004.jpg

King%20Vulture%20-%2009.jpg

hey glen, I didn't know you were a member of this forum, but anyway, wanted to say, I love your work and all you put in to getting those amazing images. nice you see you here.

Upvote 0