Pictures from the heat

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Four weeks ago, I decided to water my garden only very sporadically.
Now the authorities ask for that and in some places it is even already prohibited.
When I walk past the local riding facility and its jumping arena in the morning, the sand there is still moisturised every day with several sprinklers.
What a waste. :rolleyes: Even though it's certainly better for the horses' hooves.
I'm just trying to save the blackberries now.

Here is what used to be my lawn. The leaves are from a corkscrew hazel, that has decided to switch to emergency mode.
20220720_0002.JPG

These should have been strawberries
20220720_0004.JPG

Here are the raspberries we could no longer harvest.
20220720_0006.JPG

Today > 35 °C, 37 °C predicted. Yesterday it was even warmer. And in the west of Germany up to 40 °C.
The last small amounts of rain fell here at the beginning of July. 90% probability of rain is dead wrong.
20220720_0007.JPG

Edit: we ended up at 37°

20220720_0012.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
You Brits must be melting there! Is there any living vegetation left in that lush green land of yours that normally gets so much rain and so little sunlight?
I can't imagine any plant life there has ever experienced such temperatures, and wouldn't be adapted to such extremes.
I do lots of garden photography and I pity the state of all the fancy and immaculately tended English gardens you have there! :(

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
You Brits must be melting there! Is there any living vegetation left in that lush green land of yours that normally gets so much rain and so little sunlight?
I can't imagine any plant life there has ever experienced such temperatures, and wouldn't be adapted to such extremes.
I do lots of garden photography and I pity the state of all the fancy and immaculately tended English gardens you have there! :(
I am saving a lot of time not having to mow my lawn.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I normally don't double post pics in two threads. But that one also belonges here.
So I just quote myself ;)

Yet another heron, this time a "search pic". But note two things:
1st, it is standing in the shadows. My guess it was because of the more than 33 °C
2nd, note the huge sand spit with the traces in the BG.
That is normally the pond bottom with at least 30 to 50 cm water on top. The water would reach up to the herons belly.
All dried out :(
I haven't seen that in any summer before.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Pictures that make me cry :cry: :

That used to be the bottom of our local ponds. The never fell dry before in the last 10 years.
And I knew that mussels were living there. But dozens, dozens have died now.
Large ones, 10 to 15 cm. Old ones, they can get up to 15 years.
They dug into the mud, but even that got too hot.
I just can hope, some have survived in the last few waterholes in the middle.

20220730_0139.JPG20220730_0140.JPG20220730_0142.JPG

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I hope that you don't get wildfires due to drying out of trees and vegetation. We get them every year, its horrible. The smaller fires can be put out, the big ones in forests burn until winter arrives and rain / snow puts them out.
We've had 104- 104F (40C) for all of last week. Its going to cool down to the 90 degree range and maybe even rain later this week. I have a drip system in my garden. It does not use a lot of water, and seems to keep the plands alive during the hot spell. Even my strawberries are still alive and I noticed some have new blooms. We don't water our lawn, its mostly weeds anyway. It turns green overnight when it rains, you can't kill weeds easily. I also have some raspberries and blueberries that are getting ripe. I'm worried about them drying out. I put extra water on them 2 days ago that I thought might help.

Upvote 0