Playing For Change

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Thanks, you guys!
I'll dive into the editing of a few more now. It was a hellish night to shoot in - I had so much rain on my glasses, in the viewfinder, and the cameras joystick stopped working in a few directions due to all rain. At times I didn't know what I was directing focus at at all. My old Sigma 50/1.4 soon got shifted into something a tad more weathersealed, and my trustworthy 70-200/4L also gave me more focused shots.

Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Great shots Domino! Love the low key Grandpa Elliott image. I was lucky enough to see the band last year when they were the support act to Robert Plant's tour here with his Sensational Space Shifters. Playing For Change were a pleasant surprise with great voices and song choices. I really like the concept behind the band and the way they get the crowd going. I won't say that Robert Plant was a disappointment on the night but I'd seen an epic Springsteen concert 4 days earlier and his performance was a lot more subdued.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
Roo said:
Great shots Domino! Love the low key Grandpa Elliott image. I was lucky enough to see the band last year when they were the support act to Robert Plant's tour here with his Sensational Space Shifters. Playing For Change were a pleasant surprise with great voices and song choices. I really like the concept behind the band and the way they get the crowd going. I won't say that Robert Plant was a disappointment on the night but I'd seen an epic Springsteen concert 4 days earlier and his performance was a lot more subdued.
Thanks, Roo! *bows humbly*
Yeah I was pretty amazed at how little, and well-behaved, noise were in the shot. Not often I get a keeper at ISO 1600 and I didn't even attempt to remove any noise.

I've followed PFC almost since day one on YouTube and in various other channels, I, too, love the entire concept and how they manage to put it all together. They are incredibly skilled all of them! It was my first chance to see them live, so I knew I just had to go, despite the terrible rain we were having that afternoon/evening. I was soaked, and so was all lenspouches I had inside my backpack. Afraid no one would show up at the scene, but we were maybe 100-200 brave souls who dared the elements.

I have both Robert Plant and Bruce Springsteen on my bucket list. I believe Bruce will be the easiest to fix for me, he tends to play in Sweden quite regularly and if he skips my part of the country I can, most likely, just drive over to Copenhagen in Denmark to see him.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
Thanks, Hjalmarg1, and Click!

@Hjalmarg1: He is blinder than a bat, but he has such charisma and presence on stage. One have to admire him, and his singing - there's so much blues in his voice.

@Click: I see what you mean. I like the first one too if I see to the overall mood and such. But I hate how off the focus is on that Sigma - it all looks reasonably good at the point when it's taken, but as soon as I view it on the big screen at home it falls to pieces. Nothing can change that in post.
I wanted to get a few shallow DOF shots where the stage lights could paint an interesting background, and I could play with the shutter times to get various amounts of movement while instruments were played and performers danced.

Edit: Oops! That first one wasn't taken with the Sigma. I haven't posted them in the order I shot them. Used the Sigma for the 1st hour or so, then the rest was with the 70-200. I'm confusing myself...

Upvote 0