POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Just for fun and out of curiosity... I would like to know how many people plan to buy/upgrade to the new EOS R and what lenses are u considering...

It looks like a winner to me. The price is totally right. I wish it had at least 40MP but it is a steal with the 24-105.

The $3K price for the 28-70 F2.0 is steep but it's an industry first, so it should be worth it.

Cheers

Pat

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I have no plans to get an EOS R at least at this stage. I will keep an open mind and see what happens, but I don't see it being on my shopping list. I guess I might well end up with an RF mount camera at some point but I don't see it being soon. Will see what happens with RF lens development over the next couple of years. If the EF line continues to be developed, I doubt I'll be in any hurry.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I'm unlikely to be in the market for a new camera in the next five or so years, other than I might upgrade to some successor of my G7X II for my travel camera.

I don't really have any lens in mind right now to purchase. I might rent a TS lens to play with some week. That could inspire me to put one on my wish list, or get the idea out of my system.

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm considering buying this camera. But I'll not preorder it. I'm not sure the RF lenses would make me happier than the lenses I now own, especially given their premium prices. So, for me, the camera will need to sell itself. The fact that it is a mirrorless camera is only an afterthought. I would consider buying the EOS R had it been a 6D III with most of the same technology.

Upvote 0
Basically, EOS R can take comparable or a little better still pictures than 5D4. Has much better video spec than 5D4. Is smaller, lighter and has silent shutter. Doesn't need lens calibration. Comes with some interesting and innovative lenses. And has a few interesting perks such as CPL/ND adapter for EF and also EF-S lenses.
Do I want it? Yes, it is tempting. Do I need it? No. Because 5D4/5DSR are still very capable cameras.
Does it really matter (to the photographers) how many will upgrade?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Basically, EOS R can take comparable or a little better still pictures than 5D4. Has much better video spec than 5D4. Is smaller, lighter and has silent shutter. Doesn't need lens calibration. Comes with some interesting and innovative lenses. And has a few interesting perks such as CPL/ND adapter for EF and also EF-S lenses.
Do I want it? Yes, it is tempting. Do I need it? No. Because 5D4/5DSR are still very capable cameras.
Does it really matter (to the photographers) how many will upgrade?
Still capable but already 2 years old. Technology is moving faster than that. In my opinion, it's not an upgrade/downgrade. It's a different camera all together. That is what makes it interesting to me. Look at some of the 2500 ISO samples on DPR. The 5D4 can't do that...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nope, I finally upgraded to a full frame 5DIV from the 7DII. I'm extremely happy with it and won't have money to spend for a long time. Took me about 8 years to accumulate my stable of L glass - 16-35 f4, 24-105 f4, 70-200 f2.8 II and 100-400 II. No hurry to change. I like the size of the 5D and 7D series.
Fortunately for you, there is an adaptor for ALL your lenses and with full compatibility. The only investment is the $2299 for the body. IMO, a great price for new technology and things that the 5D will never be able to do like the swivel screen or EVF and not to mention a new processor and sensor.

Upvote 0