POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Mar 2, 2012
Well... why else would you use a flash if not to add light where there isn't?

*That* is the reason.
It was not invented “to compensate for the lack of camera dynamic range.” Add light where there is not light. Same story for other methods of illumination.

Flash was applied to photography because it delivered very bright light (as opposed to candle power, for example - this predates the light bulb), allowing for shorter exposures.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
As a rule I don't pre-order anything, but I am curious about the EOS R. I could end up buying one, but not until I've scrutinized it to death over several months and changed my mind no less that 8 times.

I feel same way.. I need to know it's something I really want before forking out that kind of money. So far I'm really not sure this does what I want for that price.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Fortunately for you, there is an adaptor for ALL your lenses and with full compatibility. The only investment is the $2299 for the body. IMO, a great price for new technology and things that the 5D will never be able to do like the swivel screen or EVF and not to mention a new processor and sensor.

+ adaptors... they're not free

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
The night I got my 6D2, I went outside about 11pm and took pictures with the kit f/3.5-4.5 lens, everything set to auto. I took handheld pictures of bushes in front of the house by the light of the lamppost down the street and whatever spilled over from the front porch light. At ISO 40000, the pictures were noisy, but clear and with decent color. I could barely see with my naked eyes, so your situation sounds close to pitch darkness and unavailable light.

porch lights with stationary shrubbery can be very bright compared to inside pubs with bands prancing about. :) the FPS has me nervous as I often do deal with this situation

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
porch lights with stationary shrubbery can be very bright compared to inside pubs with bands prancing about. :) the FPS has me nervous as I often do deal with this situation
and pubs have some kind of light on the stage right? I go to concerts all the time and even my iPhone captures great photos...

Upvote 0
The night I got my 6D2, I went outside about 11pm and took pictures with the kit f/3.5-4.5 lens, everything set to auto. I took handheld pictures of bushes in front of the house by the light of the lamppost down the street and whatever spilled over from the front porch light. At ISO 40000, the pictures were noisy, but clear and with decent color. I could barely see with my naked eyes, so your situation sounds close to pitch darkness and unavailable light.
Actually I tried shooting some photos with normal available light and super high iso's just for fun. The results were pretty awesome. The files looked like old film. Especially if turned into black and white. Try it, just for fun.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Still capable but already 2 years old. Technology is moving faster than that. In my opinion, it's not an upgrade/downgrade. It's a different camera all together. That is what makes it interesting to me. Look at some of the 2500 ISO samples on DPR. The 5D4 can't do that...

Specifically which areas of which images. I haven't seen anything IQ wise that is an overwhelming difference, certainly not in the RAW files. The DIGIC 8 is doing it's job on the jpegs.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
and pubs have some kind of light on the stage right? I go to concerts all the time and even my iPhone captures great photos...
some do, many don't.. bands depends on type. Punk / rock bands tend to move a lot and are often in dark venues. While you can get grainy/blurry pics with a phone, it's not something I'd show off :)

<edit> and in case it's not clear... it may be a decent camera for this, just can't tell. FPS helps for me, but low light performance does too.. I was close to going for a 6d2 and this is better, but the fps gives me pause as some settings take it from 8 to 3 fps.. massive difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
$199 for the control ring adaptor. not so bad...
Yes, I really like the idea of the control ring on the R lenses, and the idea of putting it on the EF adapter, so now all my legacy glass has the control ring, is absolutely brilliant.

This camera isn’t the one for me, as I want some higher specs..... but there are several things about the R that are winners....

1) NO MORE AFMA! A great reason to go mirrorless....

2) that control ring....

3) the control ring on the adapter for legacy glass....

4) that the legacy glass should work as well on the new R bodies as it does on the old ones...

5) they FINALLY are using UHS-2

And a few losers (at least for me)

A) not a fast enough burst rate

B) no high speed video

C) battery life

D) Why would you have Bluetooth and not support a Bluetooth headset? ? ? ?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
For Don's reasons plus more. It is an entry level model and my 5DSR and 5DIV have higher specs for bird photography plus other uses. Further, we don't know enough about its AF other than it has a low burst rate of 5 fps for AF at each shot, which drops to 3 for intelligent tracking. To pre-order now before any proper reviews are available is to pre-order a proverbial pig in a poke unless you are in the market for a new entry level model or have uncontrollable GAS. I will wait for the next round of models.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, I really like the idea of the control ring on the R lenses, and the idea of putting it on the EF adapter, so now all my legacy glass has the control ring, is absolutely brilliant.

This camera isn’t the one for me, as I want some higher specs..... but there are several things about the R that are winners....

1) NO MORE AFMA! A great reason to go mirrorless....

2) that control ring....

3) the control ring on the adapter for legacy glass....

4) that the legacy glass should work as well on the new R bodies as it does on the old ones...

5) they FINALLY are using UHS-2

And a few losers (at least for me)

A) not a fast enough burst rate

B) no high speed video

C) battery life

D) Why would you have Bluetooth and not support a Bluetooth headset? ? ? ?
6) DPP Express looks very interesting.
7) The adapter with the CPL and variable ND
8) USB-C charging, like it or not it is the future.
9) 10 bit 4.2.2 C-Log clean HDMI out with no time limit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
No plan to buy a "almost as good as" camera. I've seen nothing that he camera does that is better, except autofocus in very low light, but there, I will wait and see. The camera basically uses a 5D MK IV sensor, so the ISO performance will be the same, unless you shoot out of camera jpeg where the new processor will be a slight improvement.

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
some do, many don't.. bands depends on type. Punk / rock bands tend to move a lot and are often in dark venues. While you can get grainy/blurry pics with a phone, it's not something I'd show off :)

<edit> and in case it's not clear... it may be a decent camera for this, just can't tell. FPS helps for me, but low light performance does too.. I was close to going for a 6d2 and this is better, but the fps gives me pause as some settings take it from 8 to 3 fps.. massive difference.

What makes you say an EOS R is better than a 6DII? The EOS R has some advantages but also some disadvantages, for my use. For example, 6DII has much better battery life, faster FPS if you want AF at the same time, OVF (subjective as to whether that's an advantage, I realise) and query better ergonomics particularly with larger/heavier lenses (will see when more people have tried an EOS R). From what I know about the EOS R at this point, I'd prefer a 6DII (even if they were the same price). Obviously some people will prefer what the EOS R offers, but I don't think it's a case a of the EOS R being simply better.

Upvote 0