POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yes, I really like the idea of the control ring on the R lenses, and the idea of putting it on the EF adapter, so now all my legacy glass has the control ring, is absolutely brilliant.

This camera isn’t the one for me, as I want some higher specs..... but there are several things about the R that are winners....

1) NO MORE AFMA! A great reason to go mirrorless....

2) that control ring....

3) the control ring on the adapter for legacy glass....

4) that the legacy glass should work as well on the new R bodies as it does on the old ones...

5) they FINALLY are using UHS-2

And a few losers (at least for me)

A) not a fast enough burst rate

B) no high speed video

C) battery life

D) Why would you have Bluetooth and not support a Bluetooth headset? ? ? ?
E) Single cards

F) Not nice balancing with big lenses

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
u can get $1500 for your 5 year old 1DX and a few more bucks for the M6 and get the R, I think it's a wise choice.

May I suggest asking yourself a question: Since you like having the latest available, why do you own an A7R3, and not a newer A73?

Likely answer: A73 would be a downgrade. I too have a 1Dx. The EOS-R would clearly be a downgrade.
8) USB-C charging, like it or not it is the future.

...it’s the present. ;)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No plan to buy a "almost as good as" camera. I've seen nothing that he camera does that is better, except autofocus in very low light, but there, I will wait and see. The camera basically uses a 5D MK IV sensor, so the ISO performance will be the same, unless you shoot out of camera jpeg where the new processor will be a slight improvement.
Canon pulled a fast one with the low light AF. They quoted it for an f/1.2 lens, which is 1.5 stops faster than for an f/2, which is the usual standard. So, it is really -4.5 ev, not -6.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
As a rule, I never pre-order stuff.

I’m interested to TRY the camera at this point. Shortly after it hits the market I will see if my local store has a display model to check out.

But that’s probably as far as I will go for now. If I take a trip next year, I’ll consider one to reduce travel weight, but otherwise I’ll probably wait it out another year to see what more becomes of the RF system first.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Definitely positives..., particularly the USB charging!

You can only charge it with the Canon USB charger, it won't charge with just a standard USB. I fail to see any advantage to that. The battery is in the camera and you cannot use the camera until its charged. Of course, you can charge the battery outside the camera in a standard charger for lp-E6N batteries.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You can only charge it with the Canon USB charger, it won't charge with just a standard USB. I fail to see any advantage to that. The battery is in the camera and you cannot use the camera until its charged. Of course, you can charge the battery outside the camera in a standard charger for lp-E6N batteries.
Where does it say that you can't use any USB? The PD-E1 is the Canon specific one, but I thought the point of USB was it is Universal.

Upvote 0
USB C charging is NOT just normal USB2 charging.
Notice the PD in Canon's name of the charger?
That is proper USB C charging.
PD chargers charge at up to 20v rather than 5v of normal USB charging.
PD chargers put out at least 40 watts whereas fast USB2 charging is less than 4 watts.

You can buy PD battery boxes, and I have one to charge my laptop when on the road.
One of the best things with PD battery boxes is that you can charge a 20,000 mAh box in under 4 hours if you have an ac PD power supply.

You'll also be able to get the photos off the camera very much faster than through a USB 2 plug.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Interesting info. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know about that. But I stick to my way of charging an LP-E6(N) battery mentioned before being simpler. I have done it already. So this way of charging isn't an advantage for me. And the photos are fast to get using usb3 from 5DsR and 5D4 anyway. But even easier to get them via a card reader. All these do not present a practical advantage for EOS R.

Upvote 0
usb-c is the new thing. My new Mavic 2 Pro comes with a usb-c to usb-c cable with a couple of adapters for the remote controller charging.
My Mac Book Pro has 4 usb-c ports.
If you can just plug in the EOS R to your Mac book to download the images and charge the camera at the same time, then that is a winner... I don't know if it is possible or not. I am just assuming. Does anyone know?

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016

Exactly my thoughts...

Upvote 0
May I suggest asking yourself a question: Since you like having the latest available, why do you own an A7R3, and not a newer A73?

Likely answer: A73 would be a downgrade. I too have a 1Dx. The EOS-R would clearly be a downgrade.

...it’s the present. ;)
the almost 3 years old 1DX II was not as good as the A7R III. That's why I switched. It's clear that technology is better 3 years later. I don't think it would be a downgrade. Just a compromise on certain things. But, really, nobody cares which camera you used to take a picture when they see it. It's all about the results. I never had more on-focus and sharper photos than I do now with the Sony. Never. This thing doesn't miss. Also one thing that most of you are missing is the almost 100% focus area on the new EOS R. I struggle with the 1DX to take a full body photo in portrait mode because thee focus points were too low to focus on the face. I don't have that problem with the Sony cause it reaches the whole frame. The Canon will have that too. That means less out of focus photos. I can vouch for that now cause I used both systems simultaneously for a month... And the EVF... At first I hated it, now I can't live without it. WYSIWYG... Priceless.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
usb-c is the new thing. My new Mavic 2 Pro comes with a usb-c to usb-c cable with a couple of adapters for the remote controller charging.
If you can just plug in the EOS R to your Mac book to download the images and charge the camera at the same time, then that is a winner... I don't know if it is possible or not. I am just assuming. Does anyone know?
It will download the photos quickly but you will have to leave the camera much more time connected for it to be charged. No winner at all!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The point of USB-C downloads is that it takes only seconds or a minute or two. You are not going to get much charge into your battery during that time.
The USB-C charging may be a useful addition but it is not a "winner".

Edit - Oops Tron, I posted the same as you were adding your comment!

Upvote 0
It will download the photos quickly but you will have to leave the camera much more time connected for it to be charged. No winner at all!
how do you know? it might charge faster than the ac adapter. USB-c is fast. I can charge my iPhone as fast as I can with a 5w adapter directly from my Mac book pro. Nobody can tell how things are going to be. it's just assumptions now. we will all have to wait and see real world users testing things out.
Like I said... IF, you can download and charge at the same time, it is a winner. If it takes 2 hours to charge, then it won't. Also remember the vertical grip should have 2 batteries. It would be great to charge both at the same time over USB-C without even removing the batteries from the camera.
BTW it takes a good 2 hours to charge 100% the battery of my 1DX II. That's a long time because the battery is huge and will last u days.
The crappy batteries they are using on the new cameras are small and have less power so they should be quick to charge.

Upvote 0