POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
how do you know? it might charge faster than the ac adapter. USB-c is fast. I can charge my iPhone as fast as I can with a 5w adapter directly from my Mac book pro. Nobody can tell how things are going to be. it's just assumptions now. we will all have to wait and see real world users testing things out.
Like I said... IF, you can download and charge at the same time, it is a winner. If it takes 2 hours to charge, then it won't. Also remember the vertical grip should have 2 batteries. It would be great to charge both at the same time over USB-C without even removing the batteries from the camera.
And how often will you put a usb cable in and out the camera during the years you will have it? Good luck with it!

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Where does it say that you can't use any USB? The PD-E1 is the Canon specific one, but I thought the point of USB was it is Universal.

Equivalent to SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1)
• For PC communication
• For WFT-E7 (Ver. 2) connection
⚪ Shared with terminal for in-camera charging with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
⚪ In-camera charging: although it is compatible with USB Type-C (5V/1.5A) equivalent, do not charge
the camera other than with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1

You can see that on page 13 of the following pdf
https://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/EOS-R-PDF-Specifications.pdf

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
USB C charging is NOT just normal USB2 charging.
Notice the PD in Canon's name of the charger?
That is proper USB C charging.
PD chargers charge at up to 20v rather than 5v of normal USB charging.
PD chargers put out at least 40 watts whereas fast USB2 charging is less than 4 watts.

You can buy PD battery boxes, and I have one to charge my laptop when on the road.
One of the best things with PD battery boxes is that you can charge a 20,000 mAh box in under 4 hours if you have an ac PD power supply.

You'll also be able to get the photos off the camera very much faster than through a USB 2 plug.

Does this mean it is possible a PD Portable Charger or an adapter used to charge a PD Portable Charger can be used to charge this camera?

Upvote 0
And how often will you put a usb cable in and out the camera during the years you will have it? Good luck with it!
what's the problem with that? the usb-c is a much better cable than before. and it's bi-directional. it can go any way u want. it's easy and small. I don't see a problem using a standard cable instead of a card reader that will also need a cable or an adaptor anyway.

Upvote 0
USB 3 from the older cameras has a max speed of 5Gbps the new camera has USB 3.1 and effectively double the speed to 10Gbps. That means half the time to download your huge raw files. who doesn't want that?
My 2018 Mac Book Pro has 4 usb-c ports. Each port can deliver up to 15W of charging power so I can charge my iPhone X 3 times faster than with the wall adapter.
I like that option. One less thing to worry about. Just plug in your camera, download the photos and charge up to 2 battreries all at one. Winner to me ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
In regards to pre-ordering the EOS R I am on the fence. The biggest deal breaker for me on this camera is the AA filter. Had they removed it I would have replaced my 5D4 with this. At this point sometimes I think I will pre-order and then I think let me wait for a high megapixel variant. I know for sure it is purely GAS nothing more that that :p

One thing not sure if anyone has noted only the following will ship in late October
EOS R initial price of $2299 (available late October)
Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $99.99 (available late October)
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $199.99 (available late October)
RF 50mm F1.2 L USM initial price of $2299 (available late October)
Speedlite EL-100 initial price of $199.99 (available late October)

The below two are shipping in December
RF 28-70mm F2 L USM initial price of $2999 (available December)
RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM initial price of $1099 (available December)

The adapter with drop in filters will ship only in Feb 2019

So Unless one has $2300 for EOS R and another $2300 for the RF 50mm there is no other RF lenses shipping with the EOS R in late October. If not spending money on the RF 50mm one will be limited to the two adapters and EF lenses. One thing I am not sure is that if anyone orders the EOS R + 24-105 kit the whole thing will ship only in December or the camera will ship in late October and then the lens in December. Bare minimum one need to spend $2400 to use only with EF lenses and $2500 to use EF lenses and have the control ring.

Upvote 0
Equivalent to SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1 Gen 1)
• For PC communication
• For WFT-E7 (Ver. 2) connection
⚪ Shared with terminal for in-camera charging with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1.
⚪ In-camera charging: although it is compatible with USB Type-C (5V/1.5A) equivalent, do not charge
the camera other than with the USB Power Adapter PD-E1

You can see that on page 13 of the following pdf
https://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/EOS-R-PDF-Specifications.pdf
thanks for pointing out the PDF. I didn't know about it. Now, this is dumb. Canon want you to use only their adapter. Of course, what are they gonna say? Like when I use a generic battery on my Canon SX-730HS, there is a message that asks if the Canon logo is displayed on the battery. You have to say yes or no. If no, you can still use the camera with the generic battery just fine, if u say yes, the camera thinks the battery is defective and it will shut off. I Never had any problems with the generic batteries on many cameras I've used in the past.
Canon will always try to sell you the original stuff. Which makes sense but I am sure you can charge the camera with from a laptop with USB-c without a problem.
I hope so actually HEHEHE

Upvote 0
In regards to pre-ordering the EOS R I am on the fence. The biggest deal breaker for me on this camera is the AA filter. Had they removed it I would have replaced my 5D4 with this. At this point sometimes I think I will pre-order and then I think let me wait for a high megapixel variant. I know for sure it is purely GAS nothing more that that :p

One thing not sure if anyone has noted only the following will ship in late October
EOS R initial price of $2299 (available late October)
Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $99.99 (available late October)
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R initial price of $199.99 (available late October)
RF 50mm F1.2 L USM initial price of $2299 (available late October)
Speedlite EL-100 initial price of $199.99 (available late October)

The below two are shipping in December
RF 28-70mm F2 L USM initial price of $2999 (available December)
RF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM initial price of $1099 (available December)

The adapter with drop in filters will ship only in Feb 2019

So Unless one has $2300 for EOS R and another $2300 for the RF 50mm there is no other RF lenses shipping with the EOS R in late October. If not spending money on the RF 50mm one will be limited to the two adapters and EF lenses. One thing I am not sure is that if anyone orders the EOS R + 24-105 kit the whole thing will ship only in December or the camera will ship in late October and then the lens in December. Bare minimum one need to spend $2400 to use only with EF lenses and $2500 to use EF lenses and have the control ring.
There is a kit with the 24-105 and I think it will be available from the start. I think that;'s what most people will get.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
thanks for pointing out the PDF. I didn't know about it. Now, this is dumb. Canon want you to use only their adapter. Of course, what are they gonna say? Like when I use a generic battery on my Canon SX-730HS, there is a message that asks if the Canon logo is displayed on the battery. You have to say yes or no. If no, you can still use the camera with the generic battery just fine, if u say yes, the camera thinks the battery is defective and it will shut off. I Never had any problems with the generic batteries on many cameras I've used in the past.
Canon will always try to sell you the original stuff. Which makes sense but I am sure you can charge the camera with from a laptop with USB-c without a problem.
I hope so actually HEHEHE

Agreed Canon just want to sell their original batteries and accessories. In this case I hope since the USB 3.1 spec is universal someone will come up with a third party adapter to charge the battery inside the camera but we will have to wait and see. OTOH I prefer to charge batteries on the dedicated charger at the same time I understand the need for other to charge the battery over a regular USB-C connection.

Upvote 0
Agreed Canon just want to sell their original batteries and accessories. In this case I hope since the USB 3.1 spec is universal someone will come up with a third party adapter to charge the battery inside the camera but we will have to wait and see. OTOH I prefer to charge batteries on the dedicated charger at the same time I understand the need for other to charge the battery over a regular USB-C connection.
Canon doesn't offer a dual battery charger for the LP-E6N, that means you have to buy a Chinese generic one (which canon doesn't want you to) or charge one battery at a time if u have the Vertical grip. How is that so different than charging from a computer? I think it's more practical to leave the batterie/s and the SD card in the camera

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
how do you know? it might charge faster than the ac adapter. USB-c is fast. I can charge my iPhone as fast as I can with a 5w adapter directly from my Mac book pro. Nobody can tell how things are going to be. it's just assumptions now. we will all have to wait and see real world users testing things out.
Like I said... IF, you can download and charge at the same time, it is a winner. If it takes 2 hours to charge, then it won't. Also remember the vertical grip should have 2 batteries. It would be great to charge both at the same time over USB-C without even removing the batteries from the camera.
BTW it takes a good 2 hours to charge 100% the battery of my 1DX II. That's a long time because the battery is huge and will last u days.
The crappy batteries they are using on the new cameras are small and have less power so they should be quick to charge.

You can work it out how long it takes to charge. The maximum output of a USB-C port is 15 watts. The LPE6N battery is 1865 milliamphours. The voltage is 7.2v. Therefore, if you can charge it at 15 watts, it will take 0.895 hours or 54 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The pricing so far has shown a bundled price for the body and the 24-105, so I was assuming it would be available immediately. Weird otherwise.
there is no discount for buying the kit. it's the same price adding both items.
I think they will be available early. It is in Canon's best interest to have the new stuff on people's hands asap.
Also remember the UHS-II cards... About $100 for a 64GB and an extra battery $64... So it keeps adding... Still not a bad price in my opinion.

Upvote 0
You can work it out how long it takes to charge. The maximum output of a USB-C port is 15 watts. The LPE6N battery is 1865 milliamphours. The voltage is 7.2v. Therefore, if you can charge it at 15 watts, it will take 0.895 hours or 54 minutes.
that's awesome, thanx. It's not so bad. I don't know how long it takes on a regular wall charger but I don't think it will be much faster... I don't know cause I don't use those batteries...
And... that is for a fully depleted battery. Nobody will let the battery go to 0%, I assume. So knock off a good 10 minutes and it should take about 45 minutes. not bad

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
that's awesome, thanx. It's not so bad. I don't know how long it takes on a regular wall charger but I don't think it will be much faster... I don't know cause I don't use those batteries...
And... that is for a fully depleted battery. Nobody will let the battery go to 0%, I assume. So knock off a good 10 minutes and it should take about 45 minutes. not bad
Canon may not let you charge it at 15 watts as excessively fast charging will shorten battery life and it may well heat up too much at that rate. 54 minutes is the fastest possible, and I shouldn't bank on anything less than 2 hours. The LPE6Ns take 2.5 - 4 hours on the supplied charger, depending on temperature.

Upvote 0
Canon may not let you charge it at 15 watts as excessively fast charging will shorten battery life and it may well heat up too much at that rate. 54 minutes is the fastest possible, and I shouldn't bank on anything less than 2 hours. The LPE6Ns take 2.5 - 4 hours on the supplied charger, depending on temperature.
Then even at 54 minutes it is twice as fast as the wall charger... if not more. That's pretty good

Upvote 0