POLL? How many are preordering the EOS R?

Seems like Canon has come out with an interesting new system, so far it seems that the hook is the new lenses and I would imagine that new 50 1.2 is going to be a favourite. The first camera doesn't seem to fit into a category that makes me want to buy it. If they had come out with a high resolution version with the current specs I could see that making sense for me as a possible 5ds replacement but currently I think I will wait to see what is next in the line up. Now if they had come out with something close to the A7III or A7RIII I would likely be in line and waiting to stick it on my 500. For now I'll wait to upgrade the 5DS and 5DIII until there is really an upgrade that makes it worth while and I will continue using the sony stuff as well.

It took Sony more than 3 generations to get a focusing system that was at the level I wanted for nature/bird photography, I don't think it will take Canon as long as I think it is mostly processing power that they likely need to push. Oh, and put another SD card slot in it, I'm one of those people who have lost contents of a couple of days in the jungle and really prefer the immediate duplication.

On the other hand I love the new 400 and 600 (still waiting on the 600 DO).

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Specifically which areas of which images. I haven't seen anything IQ wise that is an overwhelming difference, certainly not in the RAW files. The DIGIC 8 is doing it's job on the jpegs.
Are you sure that the improved processor does nothing with respect to raw files? I mean, I know it's "raw," as in, unprocessed, but surely the camera has to do some work on the fly in order to package the data into a raw file, right?

If nothing else, the native ISO range on this camera goes up to 40000, whereas the 5D4 only went to 32000. Do you think that Canon just decided they needed to show some proof of progress, so they just allowed the ISO setting to go higher without any definitive reason for allowing it to? That seems a little dubious. I have to think that there's some aspect of the camera that allows it to perform better at higher ISOs if they rated the native ISO range as higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Are you sure that the improved processor does nothing with respect to raw files? I mean, I know it's "raw," as in, unprocessed, but surely the camera has to do some work on the fly in order to package the data into a raw file, right?

If nothing else, the native ISO range on this camera goes up to 40000, whereas the 5D4 only went to 32000. Do you think that Canon just decided they needed to show some proof of progress, so they just allowed the ISO setting to go higher without any definitive reason for allowing it to? That seems a little dubious. I have to think that there's some aspect of the camera that allows it to perform better at higher ISOs if they rated the native ISO range as higher.
Yes I'm pretty sure the DIGIC 8 doesn't do anything to the RAW file, why is that a safe assumption? Because Canon only ever claim improvements on the OOC jpegs. I don't have a clue what criteria Canon have for setting the highest rating for the ISO, but 32000 - 40000 is 1/3 of a stop, hardly anything worth writing about.

Nevertheless I'd like to know where, exactly, people think they are seeing an improvement, because I have not seen anything that makes me think "a 5D MkIV couldn't do that". Not that I don't find may of the features of the R system interesting and improvements, just that IQ isn't one of them.

I very interesting comparison is going to be a 5D MkIV with EF 50 f1.2L and the R with the RF 50 f1.2L, as far as I can see Canon are saying the big IQ improvements are because of the optical freedom that extra 20mm gives them. Lenses are the difference, not the sensor or processor, for RAW files.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Nope. The camera looks very interesting. I would like one but it's too expensive here in Canada. The pre-order price at the camera shop is $2999.99. I may get a Fuji X-T3 instead to replace my X-T10. I'd rather have the R, but money does talk. On the other hand, I may wait and see what happens with the price over time. I'm in no hurry to buy anything, although my X-T10 is getting rather tatty (lost the thumb support on the back after trying to keep it on; the faux leather coating on the body is beginning to come loose on the front). :):oops:

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yes I'm pretty sure the DIGIC 8 doesn't do anything to the RAW file, why is that a safe assumption? Because Canon only ever claim improvements on the OOC jpegs. I don't have a clue what criteria Canon have for setting the highest rating for the ISO, but 32000 - 40000 is 1/3 of a stop, hardly anything worth writing about.

Nevertheless I'd like to know where, exactly, people think they are seeing an improvement, because I have not seen anything that makes me think "a 5D MkIV couldn't do that". Not that I don't find may of the features of the R system interesting and improvements, just that IQ isn't one of them.

I very interesting comparison is going to be a 5D MkIV with EF 50 f1.2L and the R with the RF 50 f1.2L, as far as I can see Canon are saying the big IQ improvements are because of the optical freedom that extra 20mm gives them. Lenses are the difference, not the sensor or processor, for RAW files.
I completely agree with the comparison with 5DMkIV (I wouldn't lose mine except for a 5DMkV!). Also, the RF 24-105 does not seem seriously improved over EF24-105II. And since Canon has proved they can do some really good fast lenses like 35mm 1.4L II and 85mm 1.4L IS I do not believe they cannot do a similarly improved EF 50 1.2L II if they want to.

Upvote 0
I completely agree with the comparison with 5DMkIV (I wouldn't lose mine except for a 5DMkV!). Also, the RF 24-105 does not seem seriously improved over EF24-105II. And since Canon has proved they can do some really good fast lenses like 35mm 1.4L II and 85mm 1.4L IS I do not believe they cannot do a similarly improved EF 50 1.2L II if they want to.

totally agree with that. it's only a matter of continuing engineering . Also the new 24-105 II was really disappointing and Sigma already proved that Canon can do far better with the excellent 24-105 Art...

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Also, I am sure the difference in iso makes no difference in practice for RAW. For the very high isos you get exactly the same DR and noise if you increase the iso by 1 stop or you push by 1 stop in post. This is why the 5DSR maxing out officially at iso 6400 can be pushed to 12800 or 25600 by shooting at 6400 and pushing 1 or 2 stops,

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I do not think he cares to notice. He started raving about minor insignificant details of the charging as if this a super important thing with the camera.
And, I did the calculation to answer that even if the battery was being charged while files were down loaded, very little charging could occur in that 1 minute or so.

Upvote 0
I do not think he cares to notice. He started raving about minor insignificant details of the charging as if this a super important thing with the camera.
those minor insignificant changes added up make a newer, better, different camera. Technology that wasn't available 2 years ago. I notice everything.

Upvote 0
Man U can't ever have peace in these forums. U either get attacked for switching to a better camera that is NOT a Canon or get attacked for liking and defending a new Canon camera that hasn't even come out yet. I'm done with comments. People live in the past and are afraid of change, it's clear. I know Pro photographers that still don't know how to use Photoshop or Lightroom. People that claim 5 year old systems are better than the new ones. I like to move forward, whatever it takes, to make a better picture. Newer is not always better but it will never be a downgrade. People live by OVF and still they never used an EVF. There is a lot of fear of change and compromise. I am not afraid. I don't like rules or do I follow them. I like to create my own rules to make my work better. It's all about the final photo. It doesn't matter what camera, exposure, lens or setting you used. If it's good nobody cares. Cheers

Upvote 0
New Mirrorless full frame system looks interesting but I am keeping my 5D4. The weight difference is insignificant, only about 4-5 ounces between 5d4 and new full frame mirrorless body. Same with the 24-105 L kit lenses, weight difference is insignificant. I thought the whole purpose of mirrorless was a new lighter form factor. I love the new M bodies , there like a mini 80-D. They are small, very light and very capable. The catch is the lack of a serious, high quality native lens lineup. After 5 years of producing M bodies Canon finally came out with a 50 mm 1.4. When and if they come out with a 35 mm 1.4 I will pull the trigger and buy into the system. Since I am 74 years old I am not holding my breath or cashing in my life insurance policy.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Man U can't ever have peace in these forums. U either get attacked for switching to a better camera that is NOT a Canon or get attacked for liking and defending a new Canon camera that hasn't even come out yet. I'm done with comments. People live in the past and are afraid of change, it's clear. I know Pro photographers that still don't know how to use Photoshop or Lightroom. People that claim 5 year old systems are better than the new ones. I like to move forward, whatever it takes, to make a better picture. Newer is not always better but it will never be a downgrade. People live by OVF and still they never used an EVF. There is a lot of fear of change and compromise. I am not afraid. I don't like rules or do I follow them. I like to create my own rules to make my work better. It's all about the final photo. It doesn't matter what camera, exposure, lens or setting you used. If it's good nobody cares. Cheers
Crazy, I'm not attacking anything, I am simply asking you to say what area of what image that you have seen posted leads you to think "a 5D MkIV couldn't have done that", why is that such a difficult thing to do? It leads to a relevant discussion on the camera output rather than constantly shouting irrelevant personal opinions.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
People that claim 5 year old systems are better than the new ones.

An objective reading of the datasheets reveals that this camera is indeed a downgrade from the (6 year) older one two of us mentioned we own, for specific use cases. It’s not a claim, it’s factual.

That doesn’t mean something can not come along which would be better. Indeed a couple cameras did (although to me they weren’t better enough to justify the cost). This camera, however, will not be. It is possibly better in the studio environment, but for fast wildlife it is merely newer and, as pointed out previously, even you don’t buy things which are newer but with lesser capabilities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
those minor insignificant changes added up make a newer, better, different camera. Technology that wasn't available 2 years ago. I notice everything.
Very significant technology! Do not forget to buy it when it is released! I on the other hand will keep enjoying my 5DIV and 5DsR while waiting for their newer better incarnations! :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm very happy that early adopters will help Canon work out the bugs. In the meantime, I will wait for in body stabilization and dual card slots and faster FPS. Upgrading eventually appears to be the only way to get a new version of the 50mm 1.2, as I doubt much more new will be coming for the legacy EF mount. ( I hope I'm wrong about this last and Canon will give us a Christmas surprise.)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I'm very happy that early adopters will help Canon work out the bugs. In the meantime, I will wait for in body stabilization and dual card slots and faster FPS. Upgrading eventually appears to be the only way to get a new version of the 50mm 1.2, as I doubt much more new will be coming for the legacy EF mount. ( I hope I'm wrong about this last and Canon will give us a Christmas surprise.)
This seems like a blackmail to me!

Upvote 0

well...Sigma or Tamron will do it in the end if Canon doesn't...;) so stay tuned!

and the current Canon one is not that bad.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
What makes you say an EOS R is better than a 6DII? The EOS R has some advantages but also some disadvantages, for my use. For example, 6DII has much better battery life, faster FPS if you want AF at the same time, OVF (subjective as to whether that's an advantage, I realise) and query better ergonomics particularly with larger/heavier lenses (will see when more people have tried an EOS R). From what I know about the EOS R at this point, I'd prefer a 6DII (even if they were the same price). Obviously some people will prefer what the EOS R offers, but I don't think it's a case a of the EOS R being simply better.

Sorry better for "me". Opinions like this like this are subjective, but keep forgetting they come off as literal. Like a lot of canon releases lately, it seems some steps forward, several backwards... which is frustrating to put it mildly. It gave a better sensor, lighter, new features and new lens possibilities, much wider focus areas (a huge drawback on the 6dmk2 for me) better low light, etc... but damn yes what the hell with the fps and battery life? however, right now we're working of spec sheets and some really hurried reviews... it may be a hidden gem waiting for a bit of polish (software changes)... or .. just another meh.. hence waiting.

Upvote 0