Preview of iso 204,800 on 1dx and d4

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Picsfor

the review comment was absolutely spot on - with the 1DX, the 204k is an extremely usable option, and one i would not be afraid to use, and producing an image of a quality the editor would be glad to tolerate even if it was not the only picture on offer.

I tried it at 204k and granted, i only had the LCD screen to look at, but i was more than impressed with what i say on that screen.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Picsfor said:
the review comment was absolutely spot on - with the 1DX, the 204k is an extremely usable option, and one i would not be afraid to use, and producing an image of a quality the editor would be glad to tolerate even if it was not the only picture on offer.

I tried it at 204k and granted, i only had the LCD screen to look at, but i was more than impressed with what i say on that screen.

I've found that, if I can see noise on the tiny LCD screen, its 100 times worse on my monitor. I'm hoping the cameras are good, but the article does not inspire confidence when it compares both cameras at their NATIVE ISO of 100 - 25,600?? What are they doing, just making it up as they go along?? "However, within each camera's native range of ISO 100 to 25,600, noise was barely an issue at all."

Nikon Spec: •ISO Range 100-12,800 (extendable from 50 – 204,800)

Canon Spec: ISO Range 100-51,200 (extendable from 50 – 204,800)

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
While I agree it is still difficult to assess really both camera at a very high setting with this type of test (or lack thereoff), however we cant deny that ISO 12,800 on both camera promise to look spectacular. I know this is not a proper testing, but this feels to be better then ISO 6400 on my 5DmkII...heck I would almost be tempted to say better then ISO 3200 but as MtSpokane mentioned, the noise always shows up more on our big screen versus the tiny LCD ... but cant wait to have them for real!

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

JR said:
While I agree it is still difficult to assess really both camera at a very high setting with this type of test (or lack thereoff), however we cant deny that ISO 12,800 on both camera promise to look spectacular. I know this is not a proper testing, but this feels to be better then ISO 6400 on my 5DmkII...heck I would almost be tempted to say better then ISO 3200 but as MtSpokane mentioned, the noise always shows up more on our big screen versus the tiny LCD ... but cant wait to have them for real!

Perhaps the refernce mark should be the 1D4 at 12800 because that is the body they are updates for. 5DII is left trailing at 6400 never mind 12800

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Not very hard to tell that the highest settin is lightyears ahead of the mk4 at it's highest setting, which also is a stop slower.

Another thing that comes to mind here is just how bendy the files are...

I have few ideas as to what I'm going to use one of my 1,2's at 51k for... Mmm.

So COME ON CANON! LET ME BUY ONE ALREADY!! Tired of waiting.....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
[/quote]

Perhaps the refernce mark should be the 1D4 at 12800 because that is the body they are updates for. 5DII is left trailing at 6400 never mind 12800
[/quote]

I agree with that, while the 5d is much cleaner at 100-400 at least, the mk4 waaaaay better from 1600 an up... Much better looking noise as well...

From what I can judge with my time with the 1d X, coming from a mk4 ISO's is like third on my list of what I am most excited about, it's the sheer epic response and lightning fast AND precise AF in the darkest conditions and the tracking, whic is on another planet, I am most excited about for an upgrade... I can't wait...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
briansquibb said:
JR said:

You're right but because the 1DX is a FF it will be interesting to compare it the 5DmkII which is currently the FF with the best ISO performance in Canon's line-up. More importantly, I cant wait to see how the 1DX will stack up against the Nikon D4 and the old D3s...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Those two videos is yet another fine example showing just how much easier Canon are to use, just look at how he pushes button like a madman, moving from one side to another on the D4.

And for those who haven't tried, have a go with that Nikon joystick, it's loose and ultra non-responsive. Buttons placed all wrong, for example, the ISO-button is on the top left, try holding a 300mm f2,8 and changing the ISO, yes, I know you can configure another button for it, but that's not the point. The point is that they placed it where they saw best. Which they have done with the rest of the camera also. And when changing the darn function-wheel, it must be unlocked first, which is awkward at best, and holding down buttons while scrolling the tiny wheels. useless!! With the buttons to change mode's on the 1d's, there is no need to lock them.

The small top wheel and buttons at the index finger on the 1-series combined with the big wheel and set-button on the back with the perfectly constructed joystick is a breaze to use for all functions, and you don't have to change the position of your hands once. To change mode while on a large lens, use your thumb up. Maan, I'm glad I am a Canon-guy, lol!

Add VERY long and complicated menus, an also color-coded , which is fantastic for us that are color-blind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.