Pro-1000 vs waiting for predecessor?

Hello

I am trying to decide if I should purchase PRO-1000 printer or wait for its possible predecessor.

The latest discussions I found:

My main concern is also about it being in probably in the end of its lifecycle as a product: support for OEM cartridges, spares, firmware etc.

Another one being the high maintenece cost regarding cleaning cycles and ink consumption. This might not improve with a newer model either, but you never know...

At the same time, it seems to be a well-praised and mature machine. Doesn`t appear that the technology is getting outdated regarding the dye application or feeding.
Many complain about it not having the roll option, but for me this is not an issue.

I can have it locally from a reputable shop for 1200 USD.

You can find rumors from 2 past years that Canon will come out with new models in this printer range, but it still has not happened.

Does anyone have any leads on when or what Canon might be introducing?
Or perhaps give me some additional thought of mind on why I should or should not bite the bullet?

Thank you

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
Hello

I am trying to decide if I should purchase PRO-1000 printer or wait for its possible predecessor.

The latest discussions I found:

My main concern is also about it being in probably in the end of its lifecycle as a product: support for OEM cartridges, spares, firmware etc.

Another one being the high maintenece cost regarding cleaning cycles and ink consumption. This might not improve with a newer model either, but you never know...

At the same time, it seems to be a well-praised and mature machine. Doesn`t appear that the technology is getting outdated regarding the dye application or feeding.
Many complain about it not having the roll option, but for me this is not an issue.

I can have it locally from a reputable shop for 1200 USD.

You can find rumors from 2 past years that Canon will come out with new models in this printer range, but it still has not happened.

Does anyone have any leads on when or what Canon might be introducing?
Or perhaps give me some additional thought of mind on why I should or should not bite the bullet?

Thank you
Me too! Limping along with Epson 3800 waiting for new version Pro-1000.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Whilst I’m sure a ‘new’ model will have bells and whistles the owners of the current one might envy the truth is the printer market and technology has matured to the point that actually telling the dofference in print quality and output is impossible. Which leaves the question down to other factors.

1/ Do you need a bigger LCD, more complications, higher price, roll paper holder, unknown availability timeframe and the printing you miss out on because of that.

2/ Do you actually need or want to print now, like a lower price, have no need for a roll paper holder (I wouldn’t buy a printer that can’t use one), can work with a small lcd, have better compatibility with older hardware.

The last couple of generations of this level of printer have used the same heads and same cartridges. I doubt that would change for any new model.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I recently bought a Pro-1000 because I tired of the unreliability of my Epson P900. I can't really tell the difference in print quality between the two, so I suggest any replacement for the Pro-1000 will not have dramatically improved quality.
The three areas Canon may address are:
(1) size. The Pro-1000 is much bigger and heavier than the P900, but the P900 is built real cheap and has an inferior paper handling system. The Pro-1000 replacement may also have smaller cartridges - currently 80ml cf 50ml for the P900. I would prefer current size.
(2) speed. The operation and print speed of the Pro-1000 are significantly slower than the P900. Not a deal breaker for me.
(3) the infamous maintenance ink consumption of the Pro-1000. I am currently determining total ink use compared to the P900, but it appears to be significantly higher. Ink cost may be 50% higher than the Epson, but ink is a small proportion of the final printed and mounted photo. Still, this annoys me. Recently, the printer did an unprompted cleaning cycle and according to the displayed ink levels used about 1/8 of each cartridge, or about $NZ120.
So be careful what you wish for. If the Pro-1000 replacement is like the P900, you will have a more efficient, but inferior product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GPA

Dec 1, 2022
I'd rather wait for a successor than trying to find the product that came before the PRO-1000.

*ducks for any and all thrown objects and curses*

Today, I noticed PRO-1000 is out of stock on Canon's website. I'm not sure how long it has been out of stock but it could be an indicator Canon is no longer mfg. Hopefully!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I posted it on another thread but worth reposting:

Canon Pro 1000 is a bargain at current price for many reasons that likely will be eliminated with the new release.
You are now able to get from Precision colors refills sans few colors that need to be OEM ( CO, Blue, Red, Yellow) which brings the cost down to 20$ if you disable the chips, to 35$ if you purchase the chips / per cartridge) that is going to be cancelled in the new release and a new work around is going to start to match those colors, canon is aware of those hacks and the bean counters do not like it, they will do everything possible to strike out this option.
Another reason why it is a bargain now is the abuse of the pro 1000 by resellers, they yank out the print head and sell it at full face same with the OEM inks and maintenance cartridge , then they sell the mutated body for whatever price they get ( Local pick up no Shipping and handling) that practice makes those printers very hard to find once a new model hits the market, I for myself decided to get a second one at this low price and keep it as a backup to my 5 years old pro 1000 just in case something goes wrong, I know I will not find a replacement down the road for this price with the exponential inflation we are in that does not seem to get any better.
The output of this beast is unrivaled, and I am not sure what more improvement that will be recognized by my eyes ( although I might be surprised) Canon will bring in the new replacement other than jacked up price , inability to do third party inks?

Upvote 0
Today, I noticed PRO-1000 is out of stock on Canon's website. I'm not sure how long it has been out of stock but it could be an indicator Canon is no longer mfg. Hopefully!!
Update: Couldn't wait any longer and bought the PRO-1000 couple weeks ago. Very happy with it but wish it had a roll paper adapter. With my luck the update will be released next week!

Upvote 0