Problem with starting focussing on R5

My R5 is suffering from AF problems until 2 weeks. (Not sure if after or even before installing Firmware 1.4).
The AF often does not start focussing on objects. I have to press the AF button (or the back-button AF-button) several times - or change the AF manually on the lens ring - to get the autofocus getting started.
Used every AF-setting and every AF-point if this behavior could be changed, but nothing helps.

I resetted the body several times to factory defaults. As I my other lenses and Canon bodies are actually in my house in southern Europe, I just do have the 600mm EF version II with the R5 here, so I can not look, if it is happening on other lenses too.

Any advice?
Thank you a lot

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
My R5 is suffering from AF problems until 2 weeks. (Not sure if after or even before installing Firmware 1.4).
The AF often does not start focussing on objects. I have to press the AF button (or the back-button AF-button) several times - or change the AF manually on the lens ring - to get the autofocus getting started.
Used every AF-setting and every AF-point if this behavior could be changed, but nothing helps.

I resetted the body several times to factory defaults. As I my other lenses and Canon bodies are actually in my house in southern Europe, I just do have the 600mm EF version II with the R5 here, so I can not look, if it is happening on other lenses too.

Any advice?
Thank you a lot
I doubt this is much help but it kind of fits the topic. I have the shutter as spot AF and AF-ON as animal eye AF and the * button is another mode of back button focus. I noticed only recently that while the AF-ON button works independently and will initiate focus, the * button will only perform its assigned AF mode if the shutter is half pressed. This is not desirable and not how my 1DX2 behaved.

I don't have any suggestion for your specific issue especially given you've tried lots of different settings. Sorry.

Jack

Upvote 0