Pulling the trigger on a 6D

dgatwood said:
Zv said:
Also, any thoughts on SD cards? I'm eyeing up these Sandisk Extreme Plus cards. Not quite as fast as the Pro but they're a lot cheaper. Is the Sandisk Extreme Pro overkill? (Note - I have one 16Gb Extreme Pro I use with my EOS M - which probably is overkill!)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00D6Y0U8E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=47EACC2M0EKM&coliid=I1RITTBHNMPVNV

If you were comparing the Ultra (30/11.2 MB/s) to the Pro, yes, you can feel that difference in terms of a inconsistent huge delay before images appear when shooting in RAW mode, and when doing burst shooting, but I doubt there's enough difference between 80/60 MB/s and 95/80 MB/s to matter in most applications.

Yeah I have a few Ultra cards and they are so slow it's infuriating! I think I'll try the Plus out and if it's not up to speed then I'll just make it my default card for the EOS M and use my 16Gb Pro in the 6D. The high capacity Pro SD cards aren't all that much cheaper than their CF counterparts, I thought I'd be saving a fair bit. Need to sell off my CFs to fund them. I'm gonna miss CF a bit.

Upvote 0
I have both the 6D and 5D3 and I agree with everything said so far. You'll be happy. Enjoy the camera.

One thing that limits my use of the 6D vs the 5D3 is an incompatibility of the SunPak RD2000 flash. I have 3 of these mightly little flashes that I have used for years and unfortunately they just don't meter ETTL correctly on the 6D. This of course has nothing to do with the 6D per se, it's just something that I have to live with. After all this time, SunPak has not issued a firmware update to work with the 6D and apparently has no plans to do so. :(

Oddly, the little RD2000 still works fine on the 5D3 and even the much newer 70D. It also doesn't work correctly on the SL1. So Canon must have done something different on how they communicate with the flash on the 6D and the SL1. Weird!

Regardless of my small issue, you'll love the camera. ENJOY!! :D

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
I have both the 6D and 5D3 and I agree with everything said so far. You'll be happy. Enjoy the camera.

One thing that limits my use of the 6D vs the 5D3 is an incompatibility of the SunPak RD2000 flash. I have 3 of these mightly little flashes that I have used for years and unfortunately they just don't meter ETTL correctly on the 6D. This of course has nothing to do with the 6D per se, it's just something that I have to live with. After all this time, SunPak has not issued a firmware update to work with the 6D and apparently has no plans to do so. :(

Oddly, the little RD2000 still works fine on the 5D3 and even the much newer 70D. It also doesn't work correctly on the SL1. So Canon must have done something different on how they communicate with the flash on the 6D and the SL1. Weird!

Regardless of my small issue, you'll love the camera. ENJOY!! :D

Thanks Rusty! I don't have any Sunpak flashes but good to know just incase. I'm using Yongnuo flashes these days and mostly off camera so it shouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
dgatwood said:
Zv said:
Also, any thoughts on SD cards? I'm eyeing up these Sandisk Extreme Plus cards. Not quite as fast as the Pro but they're a lot cheaper. Is the Sandisk Extreme Pro overkill? (Note - I have one 16Gb Extreme Pro I use with my EOS M - which probably is overkill!)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00D6Y0U8E/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=47EACC2M0EKM&coliid=I1RITTBHNMPVNV

If you were comparing the Ultra (30/11.2 MB/s) to the Pro, yes, you can feel that difference in terms of a inconsistent huge delay before images appear when shooting in RAW mode, and when doing burst shooting, but I doubt there's enough difference between 80/60 MB/s and 95/80 MB/s to matter in most applications.

Yeah I have a few Ultra cards and they are so slow it's infuriating! I think I'll try the Plus out and if it's not up to speed then I'll just make it my default card for the EOS M and use my 16Gb Pro in the 6D. The high capacity Pro SD cards aren't all that much cheaper than their CF counterparts, I thought I'd be saving a fair bit. Need to sell off my CFs to fund them. I'm gonna miss CF a bit.

Congrats, and a very happy birthday to you! I've made the same decision as you and am absolutely giddy about it. I've done some research on memory for 6D, based on its write speed at roughly 40MB/s (Canon doesn't list this spec), Sandisk Extreme is all that's necessary. That said, the Extreme read speed is rather slower than others, so if you're impatient to get to PP right away the faster cards may be a better investment.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
Nethawk said:
Congrats, and a very happy birthday to you! I've made the same decision as you and am absolutely giddy about it. I've done some research on memory for 6D, based on its write speed at roughly 40MB/s (Canon doesn't list this spec), Sandisk Extreme is all that's necessary. That said, the Extreme read speed is rather slower than others, so if you're impatient to get to PP right away the faster cards may be a better investment.

Experimentally, with lens cap shots (for size consistency), with a 95/90 MB/second card, it takes 7 seconds to write 10 images at 23.1 MB each, which translates to about 33 MB/sec. Of course, the first half second of that was the shot time, so it is probably more like 35.5 MB/sec. in reality.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Ivan Muller said:
Bad...well I miss the joystick, even after a year, and outer focus points are not reliable even when they indicate AF was achieved, which is not often anyway. And getting there without a joystick is just too cumbersome to even try

I don't have the 6D but isn't it like every other Canon body where you can hit the AF pt button and can then rapidly scroll thru all (the few) AF points superfast using the control wheel? On bodies with few AF points i found this method quick and easy to do without removing the camera from my head, and often far easier than the joystick.

And to the OP, I hope you got a great deal on the 6D, IMO, Canon's best IQ FF body so far.

Upvote 0
Aglet said:
Ivan Muller said:
Bad...well I miss the joystick, even after a year, and outer focus points are not reliable even when they indicate AF was achieved, which is not often anyway. And getting there without a joystick is just too cumbersome to even try

I don't have the 6D but isn't it like every other Canon body where you can hit the AF pt button and can then rapidly scroll thru all (the few) AF points superfast using the control wheel? On bodies with few AF points i found this method quick and easy to do without removing the camera from my head, and often far easier than the joystick.

And to the OP, I hope you got a great deal on the 6D, IMO, Canon's best IQ FF body so far.

Thanks for this tip! I'll try it out hopefully today when I get back from work!

I've been watching 6D prices ever since it came out. I shopped around and found some good deals but the retailers were unknown and had additional hidden fees so in the end I played it safe and just ordered from Amazon. I mean for the sake of $30 more I get some piece of mind! Ended up at ¥153,800 (about $1500) which is about average I guess.

Sold my 5D2 for ¥130,000 and with the Amazon selling fee I end up with ¥120,000. This upgrade cost me around $300 which isn't too bad, I definitely made more than that from paid work in the last two years so I'd say I'm even!

Upvote 0
Shootitalready said:
Zv said:
Shootitalready said:
All I wanted to know.... Thanks a million people..... :mad:

Eh? What are you getting all huffy about?

I asked kind of the same question, a few days ago, and nobody bothered to reply...! I'm a huffin' and a puff'n... :mad:

Sorry to hear that but that happens on forums. I've had loads of failed topics. Feel free to ask your question in this thread if you want.

Upvote 0
Zv said:
Shootitalready said:
Zv said:
Shootitalready said:
All I wanted to know.... Thanks a million people..... :mad:

Eh? What are you getting all huffy about?

I asked kind of the same question, a few days ago, and nobody bothered to reply...! I'm a huffin' and a puff'n... :mad:

Sorry to hear that but that happens on forums. I've had loads of failed topics. Feel free to ask your question in this thread if you want.

Very kind of you, thank you very much! ;)
Since I don't feel very welcome anymore, I will just stick to following other peoples post (very sad to attack non-native English speakers!!!!) and try to get my answers that way...

Anyways, thanks again for your nice reply!

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I am really despising the 6d AF right now. A shoot yesterday yielded soooo many oof/missed focus shots, that im getting very very annoyed with it. My t2i AF is waayyyy more reliable, and im not sure how long i can keep using this.

And this is with mostly non moving subjects. Arjghg.

Upvote 0
ashmadux said:
I am really despising the 6d AF right now. A shoot yesterday yielded soooo many oof/missed focus shots, that im getting very very annoyed with it. My t2i AF is waayyyy more reliable, and im not sure how long i can keep using this.

I guess mileage varies, because that has not been my experience at all, even shooting indoor and outdoor portraits with a 135/f2 wide open. I can nail the eye focus 8/10 times and the others aren't bad at all. Even the outer points work for me nearly every time.

You must shoot very different subjects or under different conditions than I do. Sounds frustrating. Sounds like a 5Dmiii might be a better bet for you.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
ashmadux said:

Sorry to hear that. You didn't mention which lens? You post regularly - I assume you've already done AFMA, use center point focus, etc. so I don't have much to offer.

My pair of 6Ds easily perform better than my t2i with my f/4 zooms (8-200), and with the newer/faster lenses that I picked up after getting the 6d (35L, 100L, 135L, 24f2.8IS, 85f/1.8).

Even my daughter prefers the 6D over t2i for shoots with her friends/clients and their toddlers. I originally gave her the t2i but she seems to have permanently borrowed my backup 6D for the narrow DOF. The 24 and 85 are her go-to lenses. The 6D even handles kids in motion reasonably well for her.

Upvote 0