Putting pressure on Canon, so they finally produce a Canon GH5 for Video fans.

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
"Crop factor" is a way of expressing sensor size on comparison to a 36x24 mm "full frame" sensor. When you say something changes the crop factor, you are saying the ratio of the sensor's size to a FF sensor's size has changed.
What would you say is the appropriate term to describe the change in FoV that comes from using a speedbooster?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This is in line with I have experienced with my Canon 6D and 60D, this softness used by Canon for their video, good for interviews or portraits video, is very annoying when you do landscape. The horizon is mushy even if focus is set at infinity... I have nothing like this with my Lumix FZ1000.
I didn't read the entire thread. Reading just this, although it may already have been pointed out, I would just like to mention that the newest Canon APS-C releases, and the 90D in particular, appear to have mighty improvements with regard to this softness. They are not included in the comparison you referenced, but I don't think you can call Canon out for deliberately using some softness.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I didn't read the entire thread. Reading just this, although it may already have been pointed out, I would just like to mention that the newest Canon APS-C releases, and the 90D in particular, appear to have mighty improvements with regard to this softness. They are not included in the comparison you referenced, but I don't think you can call Canon out for deliberately using some softness.
Noted, I will check on Internet the footage I can find from that Body. Thanks.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
@Joules
Thanks for your comment. Indeed, I have been checking some footage on Internet: a much better video quality than the one of my 6D or 60D.
However, still below what you get with Lumix GH5 or Sony A7 III. The video quality of people or object not too far from the shooter/camera is looking very good, really excellent on that. The quality of the image in the horizon in certain videos is a bit like the R body, not perfect.
But let's wait for more footages, to see if other people have a better management of that body or if the horizon quality is linked to the body itself.

As I wrote to Canon I am giving them the year 2020 to convince me with a new body that they can reach the video quality of the competitors. Canon have fabulous engineers, so I am really hoping to still see this. I will keep the bodies and numerous lenses I have from Canon for photography, that will not change.

My point to Canon is what will be the Brandname in my home for Video?
Today I am only using my Lumix FZ1000 that produces MUCH BETTER video quality than my 6D and 60D for nature, landscape, beach & sea, mountains etc.
However, I also use my XA30 for conferences and interviews, a very good camera for that type of shooting.

Canon 90D:
Good low light capacity:

Horizon with a good image quality: at begining not good because of Youtube constraints but after 20s quality appears.

Upvote 0
Please note that we now have a Metabones speed booster available for the Canon EOS R and EOS RP: https://www.metabones.com/article/of/Introduces_Canon_EF_to_EOS_R_SpeedBooster

To quote them: "Metabones EF-RF Speed Booster ULTRA 0.71x - to adapt Canon EF mount full-frame lenses to the new Canon RF mount. Filmmakers are now able to mitigate most of the 4k video crop factor of EOS R (1.75x) and EOS RP (1.63x) and reduce it to 1.24x and 1.15x respectively."
By the way... the amount of light gained is exactly one stop, in case you were wondering.

It will most probably work well even with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens, turning it into a 12.78-24.85mm F1.2 lens... even after the speed booster, there will still be a 1.24x crop... depending on the focal length there might still be enough coverage in there.

Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 on a full frame camera:

6c37f4bf4c33433b9ce441f19b6c5fa3

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0