Quad-Pixel AF and a global shutter coming in 2021?

Think of the 1D X Mark III more like the 1D X Mark IIn with a test-bed OVF AF system that is essentially an image sensor (and thus the lessons learned can be applied to a MILC 1-Series body), rather than a traditional dedicated PDAF style sensor? Does it make more sense now?

Consider the EOS R (mid-2018) and EOS RP (early-2019) that were transitional models between the 5D Mark IV (2016) and the R5 (2020) , and the 6D Mark II (2017) and the R6 (2020), respectively. Does it make more sense now?
You make no sense, now.

Upvote 0
What if the EF 600mm f/4 L IS III and EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS III are really the RF 600mm f/4 L IS and RF 400mm f/2.8 L with EF housings on the back end?

Nothing past 200mm gains any advantage from the shorter registration distance of the RF mount. None of Canon's Super Telephoto EF lenses have rear elements that come close to the flange ring.

Sigma, Tamron, etc. do this kind of thing all of the time.
Lets see what the future will bring. :)

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The digital 1-series has no mode dial, all the way back to the original 1D in 2002.
Indeed the original EOS film 1 series from (about) 1990 was the beginning of this design, and to be honest I do prefer the two handed approach to changing modes of the 1 series than I do the mode dial, because after all you still have to be holding the camera anyway. But as the digital 1 series don't suit me I only have the pleasure of using the 1n this way.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The digital 1-series has no mode dial, all the way back to the original 1D in 2002.
Jeah, and I must say, I realy dont like it.

Mode dial:
- current mode can be seen any time, not only in the viewfinder or on the shoulder display. even when camera is off. I can pick the camera up and while grabbing it, I allready know which mode Its in
- It can be changed while the camera is off, with only one hand, and without looking. I get a haptic feedback and know right away, which mode I am in.
- It can be watersealed just as on every other camera

Actual method on the R5 and 1D:
- I have to click one button and than dial another button
- I have to actualy look at a rather small icon to make sure I stop at the right mode
- cant see the mode easily when camera is off
- no haptic feedback about the current mode.

I prefer the mode dial by A LOT.

Upvote 0
Actually more like the 1D, where the importance of it being a 1 series camera superceded the revolutionary change of being a digital pro camera for the first time for Canon.

They could have called it the D1 but didn't.

They could have called it "D1" but that was a Nikon camera. Plus, it was really the digital version of the EOS-1 SLR. It wasn't about "the importance of the 1-series", whatever that means.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
They could have called it "D1" but that was a Nikon camera. Plus, it was really the digital version of the EOS-1 SLR. It wasn't about "the importance of the 1-series", whatever that means.
Simply put, once Canon introduces more RF bodies there could be R5, R6, R7, RP, etc..
Having the name 1R better differentiates it as their top line pro camera, at least in my opinion.
In terms of D1, both Canon and Nikon previously had cameras named D60, Canon could always differentiate using the full name: EOS D60. They could have done so with the D1.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Simply put, once Canon introduces more RF bodies there could be R5, R6, R7, RP, etc..
I think Canon should keep the RP designation around to have more models between RP and R like having an RP6 as a model name

Having the name 1R better differentiates it as their top line pro camera, at least in my opinion.
We get it but that is not a very popular opinion.
R1 makes more sense to most of us.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
Jeah, and I must say, I realy dont like it.

Mode dial:
- current mode can be seen any time, not only in the viewfinder or on the shoulder display. even when camera is off. I can pick the camera up and while grabbing it, I allready know which mode Its in
- It can be changed while the camera is off, with only one hand, and without looking. I get a haptic feedback and know right away, which mode I am in.
- It can be watersealed just as on every other camera

Actual method on the R5 and 1D:
- I have to click one button and than dial another button
- I have to actualy look at a rather small icon to make sure I stop at the right mode
- cant see the mode easily when camera is off
- no haptic feedback about the current mode.

I prefer the mode dial by A LOT.
I've never liked the mode dial. It's likely a dealbreker and a major reason why I use only 1D series cameras for nearly all my work. They seem a weak point in terms of letting water and other matter in, as well as prone to breaking. (Many years ago I had an A2 which lasted about three or fours weeks before it needed to be sent for repair.)

As for clicking one button and having to dial another on the other side of the camera, that seems no more difficult than holding one button down while simultaneously turning it or, worse, using the other hand to do so with the camera now off balance.

As I've been using the 1D series for more than 15 years, and before that the EOS 1 film models for nearly another 15, I find I perform this task almost automatically. It must be deeply ingrained into muscle memory.

I'm a big fan of haptic feedback and would much rather be depressing buttons than scrolling through menus. The latter is pretty much not going to happen when I'm in the middle of a shoot.

Let's hope Canon keeps the controls on their new flagship where they've been.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
There would still be the limitation of the length of time needed for a full power dump by the flash.
The larger the flash, the longer a full power dump takes.

You missed my next answer. Big, fast flashes already do exist.
The Hensel Expert D 250 Speed delivers 64 Ws within
1/10,000 sec - enough for very fast shutter speeds.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
64 Ws? That's puny compared to the current battery
powered flashes offered by ProFoto, Godox, and others.
500-600 Ws is the current standard. Even the Godox
"pocket flash" AD200 series puts out 200 Ws.

Yeah, in 1/220 sec at full power. The 250 speed dumps
the 64Ws (~full power of a 600EX-RT) within only 1/10,000 sec.
That's 0.1 ms.

The AD200 need 4,55ms for it's 200 Ws.

It can't fit even nearly as much power in the same short timespan.
And certainly none of them can do so at 16fps.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I think Canon should keep the RP designation around to have more models between RP and R like having an RP6 as a model name

We get it but that is not a very popular opinion.
R1 makes more sense to most of us.

Canon has already stated that the R and RP were temps. The R5/6 nomenclature should continue so we don't run into an Olympus nightmare of naming schemes.The M series was bad enough, they know better now I believe.

Upvote 0
Here are some other requests as well. It would be great if they also had LiDar or some depth measuring software built in, better dynamic range, accurate GPS built in with an accelerometer, no overheating issues so we can have unlimited recording times, and better webcam software for it (wireless if possible)... I'm not asking for much but I'm sure they could do all that. I'd love to be able to help add some or all of these these features. I'm an industrial designer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Here are some other requests as well. It would be great if they also had LiDar or some depth measuring software built in, better dynamic range, accurate GPS built in with an accelerometer, no overheating issues so we can have unlimited recording times, and better webcam software for it (wireless if possible)... I'm not asking for much but I'm sure they could do all that. I'd love to be able to help add some or all of these these features. I'm an industrial designer.

I really like that idea of the Lidar in there....that would really be forward looking with computational photography coming into its own....and who knows what that could lead to in the future....could turn regular shots into VR or AR type shots, etc....?

If an iPhone can do it, I should think Canon could add that in there somewhere?

C

Upvote 0