Question re: 17-40L Flare

Dec 10, 2012
Hello CanonRumors folks,

I recently picked up a 17-40L from the Canon Refurbished store. So far I'm enjoying it, though I have noticed that it seems to flare more than I expected, particularly red and green blotches/reflections. Admittedly, this has generally been in situations where the sun is directly in the scene, but it is still more than I expected and more than I had seen with other lenses I have had when trying to get similar shots.

So, I was curious to hear from current and former owners of the 17-40L if this kind of flare is par for the course or if there might be reason for me to contact the Canon refurb store for an exchange. I've attached a photo as an example (the flare in question being in the right side of the image).

Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• zIMG_2613_2.JPG
    zIMG_2613_2.JPG
    403.7 KB · Views: 143
That looks normal to me. The new 16-35 f4L is slightly more flare resistant in my experience, but you'll still get a few green/red blotches along the flare axis even with that lens. And I agree about filters aggravating the issue. I wouldn't send it back on that basis.

I would check the lens for decentering while you're in the return period, though. That's a common problem with that lens (had to have mine repaired and it still was never right). See https://photographylife.com/what-is-a-decentered-lens

Upvote 0