Quick 85mm question

Hey! I have a quick question about the Canon 85 mm 1.8 and 1.2. I used to own the 1.2L and used it for everything, rarely took it off, but I made the mistake of selling it. I am now considering saving up for it, but as it's so expensive I am also considering the 1.8. When I had the 1.2L I used it at F1.2 80% of the time, so will I miss having F1.2? How big of a difference is there between F1.2 and F1.8? Anyone ever owned both?

FEBS

Action Photography
CR Pro
Hi Julie,

I have both the 1.2L and 1.8. To be honest, I didn't use the 1.8 during the last year, so I will place for sale it in the coming days.

I hardly use my 1.2L at f/1.2, as even after AFMA, I have trouble of having ultra sharp photos, so my keeper rate is much to low. Also I don't like that much the 1.2 for a portrait as the dof is so incredible short. I mostly use my 1.2L at f/1.8 till f/2.2. Would I sell the 1.2L. No way. There is much more "magic" in this lens then the very big aperture. The bokeh is so nice with that lens, and also the contrast is top. So that are for me the reasons I keep the 1.2L.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I started with the 85/1.8 and switched to the 85/1.2L II. I agree with FEBS about the better bokeh – even with both lenses at f/1.8 there's a noticeable difference. I usually use the L lens at f/1.6 or narrower.

Both lenses suffer from longitudinal CA (purple/green fringing in OOF specular highlights), it's worse with the 85/1.8. Having said that, the 85/1.8 is possibly the best value in Canon's EF lineup in terms of optical quality for cost. It focuses much (much!) faster than the f/1.2, also.

Upvote 0
I know i'm in the minority here, but I considered both lenses, as I do shoot professionally and needed a really good portrait lens... When i compared the two lenses, I sided with the 1.8. It's not as big as the 1.2, which is a good thing (and bad depending how you look at it)... It's faster AF than the 1.2, more consistent than the 1.8 and color and quality of images are very nice overall and i'm pleased with her decision. From all the reports i've read, the 1.2, when in focus and whatnot, is gorgeous and if you really like that look, and you dont mind working to get that look, then you likely wont be too happy with 1.8. BUT, I needed a workhorse of a lens with as high of a probability that it would nail focus every time i took the picture and still had great results, and to me, the 1.8 fit the bill.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all your input!

There is a reason why you shouldn't buy the most expensive equipment right away, nothing will ever measure up after ;) But to be serious, I might be able to live without F1.2, barely, but there is just something special with the bokeh of the 85L.

Maybe I'm the weird one here, but everything doesn't have to be perfect, ultra sharp, I don't need a lens for every focal distance, but still that F1.2 creates something special, even if it's not perfectly sharp or in focus to the mm. There is not much else I want (of lenses), maybe a UW lens if I'm planing on climbing some high peaks next year (only time I think I'll miss it), so spending some time saving up to it won't be a problem. In the meantime I do have the 70-200.

I think I've got my answer,
Thanks!

Upvote 0