R5 CFexpress Cards

Aug 27, 2019
Just wanted to post that the ProGrade 128 Gold CFexpress card cannot handle 8K RAW and 4K 120

Just wanted to post that the ProGrade 128 Gold CFexpress card cannot handle 8K RAW and 4K 120

Yeah there was a YT I just watched on the Pc (sorry on iPad now), where the average write speed has to be 325MB/s and you can see the prograde gold doesn’t do that except in burst. Apparently on Canon Europe they have a list of compatible cards

Here it is

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah there was a YT I just watched on the Pc (sorry on iPad now), where the average write speed has to be 325MB/s and you can see the prograde gold doesn’t do that except in burst. Apparently on Canon Europe they have a list of compatible cards

Thank you for this...even though the manual says "Refer to the Canon website" I can't find ANYTHING there (except another copy of that same table, which might be geek humor on someone's part (like an index entry for "recursion" that lists the page of the index entry for "recursion").

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thank you for this...even though the manual says "Refer to the Canon website" I can't find ANYTHING there (except another copy of that same table, which might be geek humor on someone's part (like an index entry for "recursion" that lists the page of the index entry for "recursion").

There’s a Canon USA knowledgebase article on the 1dx3 cfexpress requirements which is a good indicator for the r5.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

If I read it right, the SanDisk 128 GB card will not work--and that was my prime candidate. (I refuse to give Sony any of my money.) But Lexar 128 will work and ProGrade Cobalt 325 will work. I don't want a huge card with a huge price, so it looks like Lexar is the one--depending on its price.

[edit--it's not lexar cobalt, it's pro grade. Modified.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Pretty sure this is what you all are after... it is specific to the R5. I almost made the same mistake at only looking at the max writes thinking it would be enough headroom.

1596466967236.png
*Edited original table for easier reading (added lines).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
If I read it right, the SanDisk 128 GB card will not work--and that was my prime candidate. (I refuse to give Sony any of my money.) But Lexar 128 will work and Lexar Cobalt 325 will work. I don't want a huge card with a huge price, so it looks like Lexar is the one--depending on its price.
That's correct, 128gb sandisk not supported. Lexar is a more affordable option but I have heard very mixed reports about their reliability...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Pretty sure this is what you all are after... it is specific to the R5. I almost made the same mistake at only looking at the max writes thinking it would be enough headroom.

View attachment 191817
Yep that's the table. Just be careful reading it because the rows aren't lined up properly

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Maybe consider the sony tough 128gb, just to be safe?
Yeah, I'll probably take another look at the Lexar. I previously used Lexar CF in my 5D4 and I already bought the Lexar 128GB UHS-II. The only reason I didn't get the Lexar CFExpress originally is because I saw a few bad reviews for it and the Sony (I also have hangups about Sony media).

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll probably take another look at the Lexar. I previously used Lexar CF in my 5D4 and I already bought the Lexar 128GB UHS-II. The only reason I didn't get the Lexar CFExpress originally is because I saw a few bad reviews for it and the Sony (I also have hangups about Sony media).
Yeah I have heard of lexar cards failing more often than Sandisk. Having said that, something is not quite right with the quality control at Sandisk either. I just bought a Sandisk SD card reader, and my Sandisk SD card won't even fit inside.. it gets jammed at the opening. I have also read all of the horrible reviews on the Sandisk Cfexpress reader on B&H. I don't know wich brand to trust now!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yeah I have heard of lexar cards failing more often than Sandisk. Having said that, something is not quite right with the quality control at Sandisk either. I just bought a Sandisk SD card reader, and my Sandisk SD card won't even fit inside.. it gets jammed at the opening. I have also read all of the horrible reviews on the Sandisk Cfexpress reader on B&H. I don't know wich brand to trust now!

I had something similar with the Lexar reader that came bundled with the cards: the reader is so tight that it will always flip the write-protect switch! I now have 3 of those with the plastic shell removed so I can actually write to those cards!

I'm starting to appreciate the Sony Tough cards (the non-recalled versions) more and more, no tiny switches, no tiny ridges and a solid construction.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I had something similar with the Lexar reader that came bundled with the cards: the reader is so tight that it will always flip the write-protect switch! I now have 3 of those with the plastic shell removed so I can actually write to those cards!

I'm starting to appreciate the Sony Tough cards (the non-recalled versions) more and more, no tiny switches, no tiny ridges and a solid construction.
You would think getting the dimensions right for a reader would be quite simple?

Which Sony Tough cards were recalled? I'm considering a Sony Tough CFExpress for my R5 now...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Yep that's the table. Just be careful reading it because the rows aren't lined up properly

I thought about adding lines before adding it to the post as it is kind of confusing... so I went back and edited it. Also looks like when I was creating the post the first time, a few people beat me to the link.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Supported doesn't necessarily mean won't work, just not guaranteed to work, right? I don't remember where, but I thought I read that someone used a Sandisk 128GB without issue. I wonder if I need to cancel it from my order.

If you want to run the high data rate modes w/o an issue, I would cancel. It will be able to do stills and the less extreme video modes... but when recording at the highest modes it might not keep up. All it has to do is dip below a certain minimum threshold (the data rate of what you're trying to write) longer than the buffer can cover and then your recording stops w/ error. It might happen in the first/mid/last sectors of the card... but you just don't know (heck, may not happen at all, or perhaps it will wait until you need it that 'one' time).

Plus keep in mind the extra minimum speed benefits more than just the 'extreme' modes... the faster you can write to card and clear buffer, the better.

My opinion is I want to get a card that can meet the demands of the device 100% of the time. Bonus if it can match the specs of the device on the high end.

Also for those looking, the Cobalts just jumped in price so watch out (due to demand?).

Upvote 0