R5 IBIS with EF lenses

Got my r5 yesterday and played around with it a little bit. With the rf24-105 the stabilization is nearly tripod steady. I also tried with a few EF lenses (mainly the Tamron 35 1.4) and the IBIS didnt seem to be on. I can see the micro jitters in the view finder and video. The option to control stabilization is not in the menu when EF glass is attached. Am I missing something here?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Got my r5 yesterday and played around with it a little bit. With the rf24-105 the stabilization is nearly tripod steady. I also tried with a few EF lenses (mainly the Tamron 35 1.4) and the IBIS didnt seem to be on. I can see the micro jitters in the view finder and video. The option to control stabilization is not in the menu when EF glass is attached. Am I missing something here?

If you set the camera to 'A+ in a square' mode, does it suddenly appear in the menu?

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I asked a similar question last night.

Apparently, if your lens has an IS switch: Turning it on turns on IBIS (if IBIS works with that lens at all), turning it off also turns off IBIS. If the lens doesn't have its own IS, then it has no switch on the lens body, and you can then go into the SHOOT7 (or SHOOT4) menu and turn on/off IBIS. There's no way to separately control them.

I realized this morning the IBIS switch (for lenses with no IS) should be on a custom menu for fater access. I can see myself either powering the camera off a lot, or shutting off IS (manually for lenses with the switch, or via the menu for those without) to save battery.

Upvote 0
I asked a similar question last night.

Apparently, if your lens has an IS switch: Turning it on turns on IBIS (if IBIS works with that lens at all), turning it off also turns off IBIS. If the lens doesn't have its own IS, then it has no switch on the lens body, and you can then go into the SHOOT7 (or SHOOT4) menu and turn on/off IBIS. There's no way to separately control them.

I realized this morning the IBIS switch (for lenses with no IS) should be on a custom menu for fater access. I can see myself either powering the camera off a lot, or shutting off IS (manually for lenses with the switch, or via the menu for those without) to save battery.
That was a good idea.... when I have sigma lenses attached it allows me to change the IS settings in the custom menu but with Tamron it says the function is not available.

Upvote 0